Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How many NON-PROS ride mutants?

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:44 am

I see this list of pro riders that ride mutants, but how many of us normal guys and gals ride muts? Along with this question, do most of you jibe or just ride toeside?

Cal
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Cal » Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:48 am

Not many in our area ride mutants, and my area is coastal - i.e we ride often in waves.

There is only 1 person I can think of off the top of my head and he never ever jibes - always rides toeside one direction...

Callum

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:19 am

There is a trend in kitesurfing that favours twin tips.

There is little doubt that mutants are better in the surf: They're better for waveriding, for jumping, for gripping the water in chop/waves, for riding overpowered and for tracking upwind.

Mutants are more prevalent in coastal areas (rather than lakes, flat water etc) but are still probably under-represented. Depending on the location and the trend in that particular area, mutants seem to make up 20-50% of boards in coastal areas.

MikeN
Medium Poster

Postby MikeN » Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:28 am

I kite on the coast and my lightwind board is a mutant , strong wind wakeboard & bindings . If I was better I could see the advantage of using a mutant all the time . You can get back up wind a lot quicker for down the line wave riding and you can jump higher . I jibe my board when I have time , ride it backwards or toeside if I don't . I am only limited by my lack of ability not the capabilities of the board .

vide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vide » Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:29 am

I ride a Mutant, and I have a good friend who does too. In Melbourne (Oz) We are probably among maybe 5 riders on Mutants. (My guess is that there are about 70 kiters in the areas?).

An interesting thing is that the guys on Mutants/directionals where among the first people in the area to kitesurf.

Incidentally, I ride a TT also. I rode it yesterday in 20-25 knots, but rode the Mutant on Sunday in 15 knots.

DT

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:17 am

at my beaches, incl. travelling I don't see many at all. I guess about less than 5%, if at all. So far I only remember Peter Scharmm and other top Danish guys using Mutants, but I don't remember anyone else wherevere I went to.
And even at the Kitesurf Trophy I can't remember anyone using a Mutant as well.

Greets
Toby

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:50 am

Right - there are not many Mutants present nowhere here either.

Some are using these, because most good riders have a windsurfing background here.

And I've seen pre-windsurfers starting out on a directional when learning, then a TT because it opens up much more for the beginner, then changing (when they are REALLY advanced) to a Mutant because they saw the top riders using these. And then after a while changing back to TT's again - because they have a lot of practical advantages when on the water.

But EVERY Mutant rider jibes, all the time - except of course when performing jumps and tricks.

But in general like all of you say - it is all TT's in the "public", yes.

And it looks like approx. 2/3 uses TT's, and 1/3 uses Mutants in the top Pro rankings - so the TT's can't be that bad !

It is a matter of personal preference only, which to choose.

jed
Medium Poster

Postby jed » Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:17 pm

I ride a mini directional, and have just ordered a custom mutant whic i'll have in ten days are so.

For me the biggest disadvantage of mutants and the only reason i would change over to a twinny is the toe strap grip - on a mutant you have to have toe access from both sides which really limits the strap and pad set up, as on a twin tip you can really lock your feet in particularly with a duck stance and contoured pads.

If you ride leashless you'll be able to kep a small twinny on your feet in most wipe outs.

Protos
Frequent Poster

Postby Protos » Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:45 pm

I ride a Mutant, and try to jibe it (sometimes it turns out OK, other times I go for a swim). I really like the range of the board --low wind or high wind.

The problem with a mutant is that if you have to try and jibe it every tack there's a good chance of falling off, which is no big deal in itself. But, that pretty much necessitates using a leash, which may be a safety issue.

I'll try a homemade Smorgasboard style TT this spring and see how it goes. I sold my Jarvis TT because it just took too damn much wind to get it going, and that soured me on TTs. No jibing was nice though!

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:28 pm

I just go a mutant and can't wait to give it a go. I come from a surfing and windsurfing background and don't really like the feeling of riding on the rail. I'd rather be riding the fin, but when I was first starting out everyone said to get a TT and that's what I did. Wish I would have been able to just start on the mutant. Also I think that the mutant riders look cool compared to the TT guys. just my opnion.

Return to “Kitesurfing”