Aint life a b!tch?

Forum for kitesurfers
Craig
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Craig » Thu Feb 21, 2002 10:41 am

Isn't it great that we have the opportunity to worry about fun stuff like: "should I get a wakeboard, or a twin-tip this season?"

Or to sweat whether to get a foil or inflatable kite: "well I've heard you can only get 15feet of hangtime with kite X, I'm getting Kite Z, I'll get at least 20feet of air!"

What a fantastically fun sport!

By the way...I still haven't decided whether to get a twin-tip or wakeboard this season ;^)

(although I am leaning towards getting a Prankster 172)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Feb 21, 2002 10:49 am

Hi Craig and welcome!

Depending on if you are a experienced rider you should decide to get a wake or TT.
A wake has some disadvantages if you don't handle the kite well yet.
You always need help to start and land.
And if you dropped the kite it is not as easy to relauch as having no board on the feet.
With a wake you have good grip and don't loose your board when doing radical turns and jumps.
I would get a board where you have the choice of either bindings or footstraps.
IMO the Prankster is quiet heavy and doesn't have a loose feeling where you can switch around as easily as others.

Grretings
Toby

Craig
Rare Poster

Postby Craig » Thu Feb 21, 2002 11:01 am

Would you give a recommendation on another board then?
I'm 90kg and usually ride a 7m F-one. (I'm thinking also of adding a Flysurfer 9.3 for the low end)

I liked the looks of the outline of the prankster, but have not seen one in person. Thanks for the info. I think I definitely want a twin-tip. Most likely with straps, not bindings.

I like to cruise and jump, but not do all sorts of fancy spins, etc. Just go big and ride.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu Feb 21, 2002 11:14 am

F-one has great boards.
it is about 180 cm long
http://www.f-one-usa.com/
but the site is not working correctly, you can't view the boards.

Also Underground makes very good boards.
http://www.undergroundkiteboards.com/

Make sure the boards are not too heavy and have a good edge. You need a few setup options for the straps which are not straight so you can twist your foot a little bit in the straps.
Try to test a board before buying. Just simple things can decide if the board runs or not. make sure the board doesn't "catch" with its fins, which makes you loose control of the edge.
Ask your local dealer and if he suggests you one, let us know and we give you a comment.

Toby

Craig
Rare Poster

Postby Craig » Thu Feb 21, 2002 11:22 am

Thanks,

I'm busy searching all over the web for all the info I can get. Designs keep changing, and there are so many new ideas out there.

It's great to have so many options, but that makes it difficult to choose the right ONE!
:smile:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu Feb 21, 2002 11:27 am

wasn't it great 2 years ago when you had to choose between 4-line tube from Wipika or Naish only?
Same with boards now.
I know about a board which will be available in April, which should be pretty great in all meanings.
When I have further infos I will post them here.

Greetings
Toby

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Thu Feb 21, 2002 1:48 pm

Boys... Souds like thr RRD twin tips for this seasson are going to be awesome. All different sizes and all come with a grab handle. Check them out at robertoriccidesigns.com. Later.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu Feb 21, 2002 1:55 pm

that is right, they do look great. had not the chance to test them yet.
Do you know the weight?

Toby

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Fri Feb 22, 2002 3:42 pm

Havn't got my hands on them yet. Within a week or two though. Also the assy twin tips they have are really good and you can just bolt on bindings and use it like a wake or footstraps. Intermediate riders seem to advance really fast on them. Aloha.

PMad
Medium Poster

Postby PMad » Sat Feb 23, 2002 5:54 am

You know Craig, when I first read your initial post here I stopped and I thought: wow, yes you're right. Aren't we a fun group of privileged "no-worry-take-it-easy-enjoy-our-lives-selfish-kind-of-a-group" out a here: yes, I am a kiter as well, for more than two years, in the Boston area as well, but your post really made me take some perspective and think of all the *other* worries our world knows, such as journalist brutal slaying and endless wars, rather than whether I should be worrying between a Mach1 or a Booster, or a TT / wakeboard for the next season.

I am not priest or nothing, no, I am a fun surfer as well, but let's make sure we remain grateful for being able to enjoy this very limited and unique privilege we all have here to fly our boards out on the sea.... there are just so many worries, sorrows and pains in the world, that we should really value to an extreme these incredible and magical times given to us.

Sorry guys, I just had to share these thoughts.

Happy flying,
j.

Return to “Kitesurfing”