Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

KITE SHOW 2003 in El Gouna, Egypt cancelled !!!!!

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:46 am

A Pro competition event has nothing to do with what was planned in Egypt.

The Egypt show was supposed to be for US, the kiters and not a team rider pro event where the normal guys sits on the beach.

It's nice to see Pro's kite but I wanted to go there to test new gear!

If I want to see pros, I go to Rome on the 15th of April, 1 hours flight from home, for the PKRA competition.

hi 2 al of you

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:44 pm

sorry to interrupt you gays, but perhaps it could be useful information for all of you: I am from Moscow, Russia and for us Egypt is the cheapest place to go wind- or kitesurfing. I have been to Egypt for four times and all the time me and my friends were frightening by terrorists etc., the thing is that if you are staying in resort area it's difficult even to imagine that smth could happen - locals are completely dependent on tourism and they are afraided to loose their business. If this stupid war won't pass through Egypt itself everything should be o'k. For the previous week my friends hold kitesurf contest in Safaga (Open Red Sea Cup) and everything was o'k, plus other friend owns a kitesurf center in Hurgada and there everything is still o'k - he has less tourists, but is not thinking about going back to Russia.
Please don't regard this msg as an attempt to persuade you to go to Egypt right now - it was just a wish to aquaint you with additional point of view =)))

And regarding new places for your event here was a great idea about Fuertoventura - we were there in the beginning of may last year and are intended to repeate our trip this year, would be nice to see smb from you there =))))

beginner
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby beginner » Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:53 am

Hi guy's
Is anybody there who knows El Guana - is there kitebeach, kiteschool, rent a kite e.t.c
Thanks again.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:06 am

beginner wrote:Hi guy's
Is anybody there who knows El Guana - is there kitebeach, kiteschool, rent a kite e.t.c
Thanks again.

Hi,

there is a great kitebeach, north of El Gouna, called Mangroovy Beach.
Perfect conditions for beginners.
There is no kiteschool yet and you can't rent material.

If you need a school and rent gear, go to Colona in Hurghada.
http://www.colonawatersports.com

Greets
Toby

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:59 pm

:D Well I'm going anyway!
Just got a deal for the 28th for two weeks at the magawish
can't wait :D :D :D

Egypt

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:13 pm

From my understanding the only thing that will effect Egypt during the war will be the tourists scared to come here. Unfortunately for this because the last thing Egyptians want is the war and they certainly don't want to lose there lively hood. There is more chance of something happening to you if you were to take a wrong turn in Los Angeles or some other big American city. I'm here right now, the wind has been great, there is no problem, and I'm definately not worried about anything. Iraq is a long way's away and it will not be a problem here, I highly doubt that the tour operators are going to stop flying here and leave there people behind ?
Cheers and happy kiting !

Scott
Colona Watersports

jaws278
Rare Poster

Re: KITE SHOW 2003 in El Gouna, Egypt cancelled !!!!!

Postby jaws278 » Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:46 am

Now I'm back from El Gouna, and I have to say that everything was OK there, better more than OK.
In the north a new surf/kitesurf station is now opened, with really excelent conditions. :thumb:
In addition , I heard something about a confliction between the new owner of the surfstation and the organizer of the event.
Maybee not the war was the reason for canceling this event :!:

Chris

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:24 pm

well, at least I know that I don't want to be in Egypt during a war in that region!
and many others think the same way.
whatever is going on the beach and schools, the spot is still huge and it wouldn't have been a problem for the event.

Greets
Toby

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:15 am

The spot is ok but unfortunately it's only good when the water is in the lagoon, otherwise you have to walk a long way accross mud to get to the shore line. We were going to go kite there the other day found out they had no rescue boat and there was no water in the lagoon so we cancelled and went to Hughada and found a much better spot . Magawish hotel had a great spot with a decent centre and good service. They make you pay a small fee but this gives you a place for you gear and rescue back up with a small zodiac.
Check out their web site http://www.colonawatersports.com.
If you kite there check out the sand bar at the other side of the channel super flat water excellent for jumping !!!

John Delf

jaws278
Rare Poster

Postby jaws278 » Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:34 am

@ John

You are right !
Sometimes, really flat water conditions make your (kite)life harder, but , the hell these are one or two days the month. The rest of the time, the spot is perfect. In addition, the isle across from the spot, around 3 km away is, "The dreamspot". Have a look at the new "Kite"!
(Sorry only in german available).

We had a nice time there!

Get high

Chris

P.S.: We had really low traffic there. Sometimes I was alone at the water !

Return to “Kitesurfing”