G ARC

Forum for kitesurfers
Rv
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rv » Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:09 pm

My local dealer is trying to get me a G13 in to test this weekend. If the wind stops being offshore, I'll post a report.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:47 pm

How easy or difficult is Guerilla fill with air? if compared with flysurfer?
Its sounds unbeleavble that Guerilla stays up without eny steering with boom, if its true thats is something what i need if i gonna learn summer/water kiteing (all those hassel with board :) )
Warrior

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Sat Feb 15, 2003 9:50 pm

Reportedly the Guerilla fills as quickly as the 2002 ARC: Sand it first, & it's full by the time you unwind your lines. It's somewhat dependant on kite size, since generally you're using a bigger kite (higher internal volume) in lighter wind (less ram pressure), so they take a bit longer than a small kite in strong wind.

The Guerilla's "auto-park" feature isn't really "unbelievable" when you consider that the 2002 & prior ARCs will go UP all the way to zenith* when you let the rear lines go slack (drop the bar while hooked into the trim loop). It's very handy when falling, since even when you're getting dragged face down you can fly the kite to zenith by just straightening your arms! It's also handy for adjusting stuff on the water (like footstraps, harness, booties, cap, glasses, etc.)

*not specifically desirable on land, but it's just as easy to use one hand on the bar to hold an ARC DOWN at the edge as it is to use one hand on the bar to hold an LEI UP at the edge.

Pogibro
Medium Poster

Postby Pogibro » Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:37 am

The kite fills itself with air. Just place one tip into the wind and sand it or weigh it down with something. Then open the zipper on the belly of the kite and it fills itself with air in just a few minutes while you lay out your lines. The side launch described in the manual is really very easy. Throw away your pumps... these kites really work!!

F12-Flyer
Frequent Poster

Postby F12-Flyer » Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:19 am

Without a doubt they inflate VERY VERY FAST. my G-10 will inflate fully in about 20-30 seconds. when I hold the zip open. It never fails a launch when you inflate it this way.

as for aout zenith the G-arcs do slower head for zenith. They do lock in for a period of time but eventually head for zenith. Something I believe is heaps better then the S-arc. Having this feature gives you more trick options. espically no handers.

The kite is very stable.

Rod

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:23 pm

And how Gorilla handels gusty inland winds? (small lakes)
Because i have no meny chance to go seashore. :(
Thanks for your answers!
Warrior

Re: Guerilla 15 - Amazing

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:36 pm

Pogibro wrote:Warning... if you expect it to be just like an inflatable... you will be dissappointed. It's not an inflatable... it's an ARC! Amazing...
I fly LEI's but am interested in these ARC's. In what way does the ARC kite perform or feel than a LEI?

Eduardo :lol:

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:06 am

I've been riding ARCs for quite a while (after quite a bit of inflatable use).

-The main FLYING difference between an LEI & a "classic" (pre-2003) ARC is that an LEI always wants to go down, & an ARC always wants to go up. It's nice when falling (just straighten your arms & it'll go to zenith), but not so nice when you blow a jibe or a landing.

- Another FLYING trait is that there is very low load on the rear lines. This means you need to adjust it so you don't accidentally stall it by pulling in too far, but it also allows you to launch & land either at the edge OR directly downwind.

BOTH these traits are reportedly greatly reduced in the new Guerilla (the 2003 model), making it more like an LEI.

The other differences are reportedly maintained: extreme luff resistance, self-inflation, stable at zenith, nearly NO load once released to the leash, etc.

There's a lot more info about all this on the "arcusers" yahoogroup.
Last edited by kiteboarder@pacbell.net on Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F12-Flyer
Frequent Poster

Postby F12-Flyer » Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:21 pm

Just wondering when you did switch from inflatble to arc what level where you at.

I have a feeling that for someone to do this it is because they are not a competent flyer and are having trouble with the basics. Therefore switch in need of a resolution.

I have only flown arcs and cant help but feel im not getting enough performance out of them.

And since HARDLY ANYONE will make a few vids of them I cant say how much better they can be.

Rod

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:57 pm

It was after riding 210 days on inflatables, with a total of 553 hours on the water (according to my log), so it wouldn't be fair to say I was "not competent" or "having trouble". At the time I was getting pretty big jumps, & cranking high-g turns, about the same as now.

With LEIs I had no real problems that required "resolution". In fact I never even had any of the common problems like leaky bladders, breaking pumps, or delaminating or herneating struts (although somebody did steal a pump I left on the beach while riding, which of course couldn't happen with an ARC). However you might consider it a problem that my local launch nearly always requires landing an LEI in the water, yet an ARC can be easily solo landed on dry land. That is a big factor for me. Auto-zenith, self-inflation, etc. were just bonuses.

Because nobody sent me to a file like
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kitesurf/ ... %20ARC.htm
it took me about 30 hours of ARC use before I was able to attain equal performance to the LEIs I'd been riding (which were current at the time). I wrote that file in order to help others make the switch more easily. From all the reports I've been seeing (mostly at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arcusers/messages) it would appear that the 2003 model has once again caught up (at least) to current LEI performance, even though it may have lagged somewhat in 2002 (not counting the F-ARC, with it's high performance but low waterlaunchability).
Last edited by kiteboarder@pacbell.net on Tue Feb 18, 2003 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”