Forum for kitesurfers
mantismaster
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

slingshot fuel 6 meter

Postby mantismaster » Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:11 am

Hi, I just went out today in about 20 knotts of wind on my fuel 10(2002), and was pretty over powered. Today was the first time I got up on the board and rode for more than 20 feet also. I was stoked and almost made it about a quarter mile before falling! After falling though, I was way too over powered to feel comfortable launching again. My board is a slingshot drake. My question is whether a fuel 60 would be to small for 20+ knotts of wind? I weigh 130 pounds, so I tend to plane quickly, but I want a fairly stable kite for my quiver.(all fuels)

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Re: slingshot fuel 6 meter

Postby toyletbowl » Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:33 pm

mantismaster wrote:Hi, I just went out today in about 20 knotts of wind on my fuel 10(2002), and was pretty over powered. Today was the first time I got up on the board and rode for more than 20 feet also. I was stoked and almost made it about a quarter mile before falling! After falling though, I was way too over powered to feel comfortable launching again. My board is a slingshot drake. My question is whether a fuel 60 would be to small for 20+ knotts of wind? I weigh 130 pounds, so I tend to plane quickly, but I want a fairly stable kite for my quiver.(all fuels)
The key phrase in your comment above is that this is the first time I rode more than 20 feet. The first time riding in strong winds can be intimidating, but with time, you'll be searching for more power with this kite. I weigh about 200, and fly a 12m in those winds and the 14 sometimes if it's not too much above 20. I'm assuming it was a consistant 20, not gusts to 20?? You're light at 130, but try the following. If the winds are really strong and you're not sure if you can handle it, do everything to keep your board speed down and the kite in control. Try this. Bring the kite down slow when starting out. Especially in the gusts. Over time, you'll figure out how hard to dive the kite. Also, you can cheat the power zone. Instead of starting the dive from 12:00, start the dive in the direction your already heading. This will keep the kite in the front of the wind window and keep it out of the power zone. Also, this will help you edge hard and keep the kite there. The worst is when you keep gaining speed and more speed and the kite moves back in the power zone. Then it survival time and it's usually not pretty what happens next. When edging the board, if you really need to drive the board, edge hard with your back foot to get the kite ahead of you more and to slow down the board. So in the strong gusts, go slow and keep the kite low and edge hard. In the lulls, have fun let it rip. Anticipating the gusts and lulls will come with time. Enjoy your 10m. Hope this helps.

mantismaster
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby mantismaster » Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:18 pm

Yeah, I guess you`re right. The first time is always scary, but after that it`s OK. I also fell while still riding the chicken loop and got dragged for a while. The board was right in front of me, making it difficult for me to detach from the bar. I swallowed alot of water and panicked for a minute or two befor using both hands to unhook from the loop. How do you avoid being dragged while still hooked in?I am still thinking about an 8 meter fuel for those really screaming days though. Got one for sale cheap? Let me know.

Return to “Kitesurfing”