Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Q: windrange of Rhino2 16m2? Differences of R1 and R2?

Forum for kitesurfers
markusf
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Q: windrange of Rhino2 16m2? Differences of R1 and R2?

Postby markusf » Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:18 am

Hi

I'm really close to buy one, but need to know the windrange of the Rhino2 16m2. I weigh 75kgs and will be riding with Mutant 160cm.

The second question: is there a remarkable difference between Rhino1 and Rhino2? And if yes, how do they differ from each other, e.g. bottom end power?

Thx,
Markus

Hardcave1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Out front of my house at Brighton, Brisbane
Favorite Beaches: At home
Style: Old school
Gear: 2001 underground twin tip, 2013 North Rebel
Brand Affiliation: North

Postby Hardcave1 » Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:44 am

The difference between R1 & R2 is more in how they handle. You will find a lot less bar pressure. a faster flying kite which turns easier. It tends to favour the front lines a bit more but will not stall when flying hard on the backs. Hang time and height will be where you will find the big difference with plenty more of both. Stability is as good if not better.
Overall it is a progression of all the good things of the first Rhino's.
Wind range I think is the same low end but a little bit top end added. The top end is also a lot more friendly.
I find the rang of the kites to be as good as any other brand and I don't use 2 sizes when every one else is on one size. You just got to choose the right size so when someone else of similar weight is on thier 16m flat camber huge range kite just rig up a 12 or 14 and you will have a similar range smaller as fast kite. IMO I prefer to be on a smaller kite.
I can't give you good wind range as I weight more than you and it would be better coming from a similar weight person.
Alex

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:10 pm

Hi Markus,

I've got a Rhino 2 16m which I use on my Mutant (162 cm Naish). I also weigh 75kgs.

I haven't used the the Rhino 1, but I can assure you that the new Rhino 16 is has lots of power/grunt. I have been able to plane on smooth flat water in 8-9 kts and then in 10-11 kts you can get big jumps . If I use my Drake 147 I'm floundering in the water until atleast 11kts. As the kite has lots of power using it on a fast board like your mutant will enable to you get planing very early, but I have not been impressed with the upper end of the kite's wind range. There have also been other postings mainly airing similar views too, so search on Rhino 2 and check them out for more info. Apart from this the kite turns as quickly as any other 16m on the market.

I can only make a comparison to a 20m X2, which gets planing maybe a knot earlier on really flat water, and then boosts very high in 10-11kts (more than Rhino 2), but I've held on to it in 15-18 kts without any problems. The X2 feels as though it has a wider wind range than the Rhino 2, so if you are looking for a kite with a wide range, my suggestion is not the Rhino 2. But if you don't want a massive 20m kite and can cope with the pull of Rhino 2 as the wind picks up (which you should do on a mutant/directional) then get the 16m. For the future I'd like to change my Rhino2 for something like the X2/3, as I prefer the feel of the X2.

Regards,

Chris

Return to “Kitesurfing”