tracstarr
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

which way up?

Postby tracstarr » Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:24 pm

ok, i've got a peter lynn arc 8.4. Yesterday was really the first time i have ever tried to fly a kite large enough to pull me. THe wids were about 20 km/hr, which should have been plenty. however, the kite really didn't seem to be flying well, and i'm just curious as to if i had things setup wrong, or my biggest concern, was i flying upside down? with the kite in the air, the front vents were on the bottom side of the kite. As far as the line setup, the rear lines were attached to the outside leaders on the bar, while the front lines are attached to the center depower leaders. this seems right to me, however, i thought that pushing out on the bar was suppose to depower the kite, and pulling in power it up. it was the opposite?! both sets of lines are the same length, i tested them with a bit of tension and adjusted them. things i noticed while flying... like i just said, pushing out seemd to power the kite up, while pulling in depowered it (meaning i was in the chicken loop). pulling down (shortening the trim) powerd the kite. most of the time the rear lines seemd to have a fair amount of slack. obviously something needs to change.... anyone?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:39 am

Are you all alone in your area ?

The easiest thing would be to talk to another kiter - as the ARC's and LEI's and Foils are set up according to the same basic principles - so he/she could help you instantly.

And it would be a lot safer being two, when you are new to the sport.

Or go to a place with other kiters while you are learning.

My advice :P

doofus
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Ozone, ASP, Moses

Postby doofus » Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:43 am

you've got it upside down!!!!! :lol:

top (where the vents are) lines to the middle of the bar (these are slightly bigger and stronger lines (possibly blue and red))

bottom (where the velcro or zip is) lines to the outside of the bar (possibly green ones)

fly it in light winds first!!!!!!! an 840 is more than capable of killing ya
10 knots of wind at the most for your first few times

be careful and get some ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and read everything on the yahoo arcusers site about launching and landing

tracstarr
Medium Poster

Postby tracstarr » Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:34 pm

thats so much. i've been looking and looking for the last two days trying to find out which way is up! and there is nothing anywhere. I got the video with the kite, but it's PAL so i can't watch it. and i'm sure it would have been perfect to let me know WTF was the top and bottom.

Rv
Frequent Poster

Postby Rv » Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:13 pm

When you fly the kite the vents should be at the front of the kite and facing you! :)

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:18 pm

Hi tracstar:

I have the same kite and live in St. John's, NF. I've been flying the Arc 840 for close to a year both on water and, lately, with skiis.

I think that your setup is correct. You should be able to see the vents when flying-therefore they should be facing you.

Your middlle lines (from chicken loop) should go to the front attachment points of the kite, as you stated, and with the outside lines going to the rear attachment points. I assume that the rear attachment points have a longer line to attach your flying lines to than the front lines? Since you said that the rear lines were slack when you let out the bar, while in the chicken loop, I think that this is certainly the case.

How much preinflation are you giving the kite before launching? Unless there is enough air in them prior to launching they are very unsteady. I have taken to using a small fan which I hook up to the car lighter to inflate my kite from the velcro. Once inflated and then sealed it stays that way, allowing you to attach your lines, and then is ready to go.

Finally, in terms of power and depower, from my experience it seems that depowering the kite acheived by the kite's position in the wind window. Obviously when the kite is directly downwind it has more power than when it is at the edge of the window. Arc's, when you let out the bar, accelerate and fly to the edge of the window. This acceleration does feel like you are powering the kite up! However, you are not. Full power is acheived when the lines are even- bar pulled in.

You say that you tried it out in 20 kilometres/hr wind? This is pretty light wind for the 840. The Peter Lynn website shows the range for the 840 in knots- starting at around 15 I think. Therefore, you really need closer to 25 kilometres/hr of wind to feel any power.

My address is bradburness@hotmail.com if you have any more problems. I think that I am probably one of the closest Arc guys to Halifax.

Cheers,

Brad

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:08 pm

Your set up is correct. your back lines will be slack in most cases. Flying an arc is a push pull operation. It ets it's power from it's speed. Pull the bar in (but not too much) in the down stroke and push away on the upstroke. Actually, go to the archives of the arc group on yahoo and you can find out everythin you need to know. Investigate wedging and moving your rear line attachment points forward, free bars, shackled in riding, ect. The ARC (standard) is one of the truly customizable kites! :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”