Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

the future is bright, the future is foil

Forum for kitesurfers
Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Inflatables

Postby Pump me up » Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:06 pm

You ram air kooks need to get over it... stop the trolling, stop the "rams are the future" inflammatory statements, and just get out and ride.

Just one more thing... At the start of this year, in answer to the thread re reasons why "no pro's in the top 50 use ram airs", ram lovers boldly stated that "things are going to change in 2003 - ram airs will dominate." Most of these Nostradamuses were refering to the Psycho from Flysurfer.

Well boys, the jury is IN. 2003 is half over. Ram airs are crashing and burning at all significant competitions eg

1 PKRA: NO ram airs in the top 50 (including the over-rated Psycho).
2 Cabo verde wave riding comp: Before this comp, ram lovers were PROCLAIMING how rams would DOMINATE this competition. At the end of the comp, of 10 competitors, the ram rider came in at 9. Woo hoo!

Because of inferior aerodynamic properties, in particular slow turning speed, inertia, and an inferior L/D ratio, ram airs can't cut it in competitions.

So to all ram lovers... just get over it. Stop the lies. Stop the ridiculous hyperbole. Stop the "future is bright, future is foils" jumping 8m in 8 knots BULLSHIT. Just get out and ride.

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pump me up » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:14 am

8m jumps in 8 knots...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:roll:

sid5150
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby sid5150 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:30 am

Pump me up wrote:Because of inferior aerodynamic properties, in particular slow turning speed, inertia, and an inferior L/D ratio, ram airs can't cut it in competitions.
Whatever.

People in competitions ride whatever their sponsors will throw them. They're simply gearwhores. That is hardly a measure of how good a kite is.

The best measure of a kite - How much you like it and how well you ride it. Of course, one's opinion really only applies to one rider's preference - Your own.

Get over it, man. Foils aren't going away, they're proliferating. LEIs aren't going away either - They're becoming more numerous too. Why? Because they both pull kiteboarders rather nicely.

If you don't like it, I guess you could complain (Cut N' Paste) some more or something.

Sid sends

buttercutter
Frequent Poster

Postby buttercutter » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:05 am

Hey, I'm as Foil Curious as the next guy, but until I actually see people going upwind on them, and doing wakestyle tricks, I'll stick to inflatable.

I have to admit the rigging time with a foil is great, but they definitely perform differently and don't have the low end grunt needed for riding small wakeboards.

sid5150
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sid5150 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:13 am

buttercutter wrote:Hey, I'm as Foil Curious as the next guy, but until I actually see people going upwind on them, and doing wakestyle tricks, I'll stick to inflatable.

I have to admit the rigging time with a foil is great, but they definitely perform differently and don't have the low end grunt needed for riding small wakeboards.
You gots to see me in action, baby! I make that sh!t work. Foil, LEI, large beach towel - It is of no matter. Though I do have my preferences and reasons (like anyone).

I haven't seen anything a LEI do that a foil couldn't do and vica versa. Except hindenburg... And jellyfish (Though I've heard that if you put 3 pounds of sand in a Peter Lynn, it has been done). Though I have flown both kinds (albeit not well, or for an extended length of time) wrong-side-out.

I really am special sometimes. :thumb:

Sid sends

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:15 pm

buttercutter wrote:Hey, I'm as Foil Curious as the next guy, but until I actually see people going upwind on them, and doing wakestyle tricks, I'll stick to inflatable.

I .
I fly a G13 and G18 and a Lightwave 125 and I'm a big guy. No problems! As for going upwind, i do that as good if not better than all the lei's in north florida. As for wakestyle tricks...what is that? I've never seen anyone behind a boat on a wakeboard to know the difference. but i can jump and land. does that count? don't know where on the east coast you are but you're welcome to come to Jax and observe or try my Guerillas.

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pump me up » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:11 am

8m jumps in 8 knots... Yeah, right!

Typical ram-loving lies.

the_lone_wolf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby the_lone_wolf » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:14 am

Pump me up wrote:8m jumps in 8 knots... Yeah, right!

Typical ram-loving lies.
hmm, yeees, one guy makes one stupid claim that every knowlegable kitesurfer knows is BS irrespective of what they fly and you seem to drag it up in any conversation on the subject :roll: :roll: :roll:

BTW have you had a chance to leave your computer and try the new psycho2?

i doubt it cause they're all crap right? :thumb: [/b]

lewis
Medium Poster

Postby lewis » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:40 am

stop poking the troll!

eugene_dp
Rare Poster

Postby eugene_dp » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:56 am

Those kite look sooooooooooo GAY, my g.firend wants to start kiting, but begged me not to let her start on a foil, cuase it just looks sad. The biggest market for those sleepingbags are in England... And when some of them try to jump, its sad. :lame1:

Return to “Kitesurfing”