Forum for kitesurfers
Djizasse
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Djizasse » Fri Apr 11, 2003 6:48 pm

T wrote:Hello,

I think such a site would be cool, but how do you want to recover your stuff? Who´s on the beach checking the serieal numbers of Kite and Board? And if there is really a "Kiteofficer" at the beach...does he have to carry a Laptop?
If you were to buy a board to a guy you knew on the beach and checked the board serial at home, just to find out the board was stolen, would you buy it? Or would you contact the real owner?
It's just one more warranty, one more chance to find your material.

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:49 pm

Hi everybody,

About that WEBSITE: kitegearfinder.com
Like I already mentioned above; I regestired the name and want to set up a site/database where you can check for lost and/or stolen stuff.
It's just one extra check.

Most important perhaps is that shop owners who buy and resell second hand 'kite gear' can check if something is registered as stolen or missing.

So keep and store your serial numbers before it's too late!

Perhaps there should also be a FOUND 'department' where people can register that they found, for example, a board.

Het Djizasse,
Thanks for offering help, I would like to make use of it.
I haven't got an architecture and actually haven't decided on a database yet. It should be simple a couple of tables should be sufficient, maybe in Access or something.
It should be cheap but on the other hand it must be fast, else the site won't be used! :evil:
Please send your suggestions......

Greetz,..................Erikkie

T
Rare Poster

Postby T » Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:05 pm

Hi Djizasse,
Djizasse wrote:It's just one more warranty, one more chance to find your material.
I agree. I´ve never said something against such a page. But i think you could compare the stolen Kite problem with stolen cars. If there is once a Database for Kite- Gear, i´m pretty sure the thief will change or cover the serial. I think the best is, to talk to some other kiters on the beach and watch each others stuff...like a comunity

kitingkt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitingkt » Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:33 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Het Djizasse,
Thanks for offering help, I would like to make use of it.
I haven't got an architecture and actually haven't decided on a database yet. It should be simple a couple of tables should be sufficient, maybe in Access or something.
It should be cheap but on the other hand it must be fast, else the site won't be used! :evil:
Please send your suggestions......

Greetz,..................Erikkie
hi Erikkie,

i, too, am a programmer and would lend my services. my suggestion would be to go with open source software like PHP and MySQL. you can get these with most ISP's for not much extra. you can contact me through the forum if you would like to have some help.

kt

vestel
Medium Poster

Postby vestel » Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:23 am

Great idea..

I think that if this website is used properly it should give the second hand buyer more confidence in the choice he is making. I do have only one concern: how to make sure that the data entered would be accurate and how to make sure that when the gear is sold the serial N. are transfered to the new buyer. I am sure that you guys have thought of these issues.

Best of luck
Vestel out.

Kitedude
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kitedude » Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:06 am

hey guys in theory this sounds like a great idea, however it could result in kite prices going up or else remaining high, as it can result in distributors or retailers been caught selliing out of the region and at reduced prices.

As it is distributors can only sell in one region, and alot of distributors enforce this rule on to the shops they supply. shops can sell cheaper to forigen customers as they can take off about 10-20% which is the local tax that doesnt have to be paid if the kite is been exported.

if there was a world register then all a distributor or manufacturer has to do is look at a few of the serial numbers to see where they came from.

Brian ,
Kitedude.

DibutilFtalat
Medium Poster

Postby DibutilFtalat » Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:01 pm

I think it is a very reasonable point about tracking sales and resellers. The database which would help identify a person in any manner even by a kite serial number will never be popular. The people rarely completely realize all implications of any kind of registrations in the public spaces of the internet universe. But subcontiously they prefer keep away. Those are conclusions of my personal experience, I would not go into argument about that. :!:

Instead, I have an idea. Why don't you make only a validation service? Get your gear, register it's serial number, receive a key. When you sell - give the key and serial which the buyer submits to this service and gets the reply: key valid or not valid. Then the new owner can get the new key. :idea:

This completely removes personalization issue, but leaves only one concern: imagine someone walking along the beach and writing down serials of the new probably uregistered gear.... :?:

Djizasse
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Djizasse » Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:24 am

It's not an easy problem, there are a lot of ifs.
When you register a serial you could have the distribuitor to authorize it, but this would request the cooperation of the distribuitors.
If we could get the distribuitors to play along we would have to validate their registration, maybe the manufacturers could help here. But now i don't believe the manufacturers would help us with this, they would prefer to be in charge and have their own database, they won't share their databases.

It would be best if each manufacturer held a system like this one, each maintaining its distribuitors and registred users, in the future they could "unite" and make a global database.

Do you believe this could happen? I'm not very shure. But we could try and have a go at this, maybe some hot shot of the industry sees the site and thinks "hey, i'll help these guys".

erikkie
Rare Poster

Postby erikkie » Sat Aug 02, 2003 8:08 am

right now we are setting up a site on wich u or others can report stolen or lost kitegear. To fasten the process of retrieving your gear we are looking for some tips like for example writing down your serialnumbers. If u have experienced any lost or stolen gear or you just have some nice tips let us know and share your noledge.

the site is gonne be situated at http://www.kitegearfinder.com but a example is currently placed at http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~sjoerdj/
:bye:

Erik
erikkie@dds.nl

Return to “Kitesurfing”