Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Thoughts re 2-way VHS Marine radios in kiter's...

Forum for kitesurfers
pluvious
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby pluvious » Thu May 08, 2003 4:02 pm

Personally, I think the VHF marine radio is safer than the cell phone solution. With the radio you can always call the coastguard, and/or alert any boat in the area that you're in distress. With the cellphone, you may not get a connection (particularly if you're out to sea a ways). Check the cell coverage area carefully before entrusting your life to that lil gizmo.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby murdoc » Thu May 08, 2003 6:21 pm

ok, a vhf marine thingie souds good, too - not a tiny citiziens band device.
but what's the cost of one of these?

phree
Medium Poster

Postby phree » Thu May 08, 2003 7:15 pm

The site I looked at was Defender.com. I put a link a few posts back. Theyhad a range from about $150 - $350 USD. The $350 model is "waterproof & submersible".

Good point on previous post about cell phone range, ect. The VHF radios may have limits, too. It's beeen said that they're most effective if you're kiting in an area near significant boat traffic. If you guys are seriously into this, you might want to run any technical questions past the people that sell them. The Defender.com Customer Service Line is 1-800-432-0227. I have no affiliation with them.

Many kiters are concerned with calling undue attention to our sport with anything that might seem unsavory to the public & Powers That Be. A bunch of guys cackling back and forth on Coast Guard monitored VHF radios everytime somebody is having trouble relaunching their kite might not be a good thing! On the other hand, if you were really in the pooh and needed rescue out at sea, something like this might be just the ticket.

Of course you could always go with a handheld marine eperb instead. No radio chatter factor and guaranteed to connect to the Coast Guard along with your exact location. I heard they have a new one out that is very small, waterproof and about the same cost as these VHF radios.[/url]

Return to “Kitesurfing”