Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

real leash

Forum for kitesurfers
Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V5, 11/14 Enduro v2, Zephyr V5, Edge V9 10M, Alpha V1 8/10M, Hyperlink V1 9/12m, Chrono V3 13M UL Axis Patrol 1.48, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" Ride engine carbon elite, rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisBoarding

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Wed May 07, 2003 4:39 am

[quote="Arcsrule"]the reel leash also breaks quite easily. the strap seems to snap too easily. and the reel leash does not stop the spring back of the board all the time. it is not fool proof at all. But, it is the best leash around. i too would go for the pet leash if i didn't already have thereel leash.[/quote]

They used to break easily, now we hardly ever get one back and even if we do, the user always knows why it broke! :-)
All the internal parts can be replaced now, but we can even fix the old ones.
If it was made to be totally unbreakable then your board of you will break.
If you use it all the time you must use a helmet, they will not stop board recoil totally but they do reduce it.
We sell them with confidence that they are the best product for the purpose, on the market.
I still have one on my harness, but often only clip it to my board if I crash the kite.

phree
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

More re: reel leashes

Postby phree » Wed May 07, 2003 4:50 am

I've been using the Surf Nut reel leash for over a year and it has never failed me in any way. During that time, I botched many jumps but only had the board slingshot back at me once. It's always a good idea to wear a helmet but especially if you're leashed to the board in any way. You can get the Surf Nut reel leash from Naish Hawaii. http://www.naish.com/kitecartmain.html

wakeboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby wakeboy » Thu May 08, 2003 9:35 pm

with regard to durability of the real dog leashes, they are just fine they dont snap and they are designed to take 20 kgs of dog jumping around so they can take a crash, also they have not jammed on me at all and seem to work just fine. iused to not use a leash but i got fed up with body dragging up wind so i put the leash back on....

bobbybill
Medium Poster

Postby bobbybill » Wed May 14, 2003 8:35 pm

The NSI Reel leash seems to not break with the bungee they supply now, but it's a big honking weight you have to carry around on your hip. I've beenusing it every day about 3 months, and I've never had the board snap back at me. Without the bungee, tho, you're guaranteed to break the webbing, over and over. All in all, tho, at Waddell/other sharky places in Calif, I'd rather carry the weight than troll for great whites.

Friends tell me you have to wash out the Surf nut from Oahu every day, otw it jams. Haven't tried dog leash.

zarmple
Medium Poster

Postby zarmple » Thu May 15, 2003 12:47 pm

wakeboy wrote:nope it's plastic, and just wash it in fresh water.....
im sure that for a dog leash to work it would need some kind of spring in it.. which i doubt would be made of rustproof metal!

Return to “Kitesurfing”