Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
devin
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Core Densities?

Postby devin » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:02 pm

i'm going to be building my first foam-cored board this spring and am in the process of getting ahold of some core foam. i'm just wondering what people have found that works, and what the density of the foam is.

thanks,
.devin

munteruk
Frequent Poster

Postby munteruk » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:39 am

I use 80kg/m klegecell foam. My boards start out as 10mm thick sheets but are shaped down to give a narrower rail and thinner tips.
I'd suggest sticking to the higher performance foams if you want to make boards that thin - non-strucutral foams will not handle this application.

Good luck - board making is tops!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:50 am

I also use 80 kg klegecell. Isnt 10 mm too thin? Isnt your board too flexible than? I use 13 mm for 140 cm lenght. How many laminate u use?

For me works 420g on bottom and 620g glass on deck.

Thank you very much

Tomas

munteruk
Frequent Poster

Postby munteruk » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:45 pm

With 5-6mm of concave and 600g fibers on each side (including 200g carbon on the top) I find the boards have a fair amount of flex. I find these boards quite forgiving and easy to ride. I might stiffen up the next boards though as I'm riding bow kites now and don't think I need as much flex to help me hang on in the big gusts... :thumb:

sailrtnow
Rare Poster

Postby sailrtnow » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:46 pm

I have used 1/2" core cell to make boards. You don't really need anything thicker then that. To make it stiffer or more flexiable, you just change your matterials. I have build boards with two layers of carbon, and they don't really have any flex. I have also made boards with one layer of carbon and one layer of glass, and it has a good ammount of flex. Stick with the shape and size you really want. Let the materials effect how much flex you will have on the board.

Return to “Gear Builders”