Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
Noo Noo
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Next Step but need some advice / thoughts please

Postby Noo Noo » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:45 pm

Advice and thoughts please.

Started and nearly finished a ply skimboard as my first project. Not brilliant but an excellent learning process all the same.

Next project will be a ply landboard but I'll glass it too. I basically want to use this project as another learning step before moving onto bigger, more expensive projects.

The deck will 3 - 4 layers of ply up to 8 or 9mm thick. I'll then laminate a number of glass layers top and bottom. Here's my question / problem.

I also want to put some rails on it. preferably a poured resin rail. Problem I have is the profile (rocker if you like) in a landboard deck is quite extreme. The tips are angled upward at about 30degrees.

Any ideas how to form the rail without the resin slumping about the place?

Thanks

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:46 pm

You can use a fast hardener, some silica and balloons, and keep shaping it until it's kicking. Or set the board on edge with tape dams off top and bottom to pour between. Make it a little big, shape it down. Everything slumps, even if only a wee bit.

Depending on shape maybe you would need multiple pours per side, tilting board so the stage being cast is more level, uggh.

But

I would just shape the rails from the wood itself. If you want xtra toughness, you will do better to do that and wrap with glass than using epoxy, which costs more, could chip or crack more, and is heavy/ Use a japanese saw rasp (<$20) to shape -faster and smoother than a surform, then hit it with a sander and you're good.

Return to “Gear Builders”