Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Tips and Tricks to Repair Kites - add your experience!

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
DariKite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Kite: 12mt Liquid Force WOW ; 9mt Cabrinha SwitchBlade
Board: Cabrinha Ace ; Wainmann Hawaii Passport 5'7" ; F-One Mitu Pro Convertible 2016 (Hydrofoil/Surf)
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Tips and Tricks to Repair Kites - add your experience!

Postby DariKite » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:07 am

What to pack for a decent repair kit for trips? Will be going to Costa Rica soon and I've never repaired kites but I want to be prepared in case I can't get a professional repair.

A guy I know who repairs kites told me that it's useless to carry glue and other stuff because I don't have a heat gun and that's how proper repairs are done. I still want to carry glue (will use a hair dryer if needed), sail tape, dacron tape but I don't know exactly what types of glue and tape I should buy. He told me that if I use the wrong type of glue it could ruin it. I also heard if a bladder punctures I will need a piece of the same type of bladder to repair it.

Are there any threads or sites where they show how to make professional repairs.

Any advice? I'm trying to make a comprehensive list for basic stuff and buy these online.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:14 am

Dr Tuba & Airtime sell kits from basic to complete. Even if you don’t buy one from them, it will show you what you need to get started. Also, I’ve done lots of repairs on bladders and canopy’s and never used a heat gun and works fine for vacation repairs without it. Leading edges are another issue, need a sewing machine.
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post:
DariKite (Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:37 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:19 am

Basically you want to make a temporary repair and not to make it difficult for someone who will be fixing it later. For the canopy repair bring some 3M clear packing tape. For the LE Dacron you will have to use dacron tape. When you get back remove all the tapes immediately so the glue doesn't transfer and make a mess.
These users thanked the author marlboroughman for the post:
DariKite (Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:59 pm)

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:15 am

marlboroughman wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:19 am
Basically you want to make a temporary repair and not to make it difficult for someone who will be fixing it later. For the canopy repair bring some 3M clear packing tape. For the LE Dacron you will have to use dacron tape. When you get back remove all the tapes immediately so the glue doesn't transfer and make a mess.
:thumb: :thumb: Nothing in a repair kit that you can't find in a good DIY store for a fraction of the price. Glues must certainly be avoided , they are messy and greatly devalue the kite.

Had a kite split in 2 (canopy) during a holiday, used duct tape to repair it and it worked perfectly. It didn't look nice but was easily removed on my return home to be properly repaired by the sailmaker.
These users thanked the author windmaker for the post:
DariKite (Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:59 pm)

kiteswede
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Göteborg
Gear: F-one kite

Postby kiteswede » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:47 pm

delete post

Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Gigi;) » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:20 am

Kite repair kit:
https://drtuba.eu/products/kite-repair-kit

Possibly spare valves are always good to have:
https://drtuba.eu/bladders-valves/stick ... ite-valves
https://drtuba.eu/products/unipump-valve-system

:bye:
DariKite wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:07 am
What to pack for a decent repair kit for trips? Will be going to Costa Rica soon and I've never repaired kites but I want to be prepared in case I can't get a professional repair.

A guy I know who repairs kites told me that it's useless to carry glue and other stuff because I don't have a heat gun and that's how proper repairs are done. I still want to carry glue (will use a hair dryer if needed), sail tape, dacron tape but I don't know exactly what types of glue and tape I should buy. He told me that if I use the wrong type of glue it could ruin it. I also heard if a bladder punctures I will need a piece of the same type of bladder to repair it.

Are there any threads or sites where they show how to make professional repairs.

Any advice? I'm trying to make a comprehensive list for basic stuff and buy these online.
These users thanked the author Gigi;) for the post:
DariKite (Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:49 pm)

Grizwald
Medium Poster
Weight: 72 kg
Gear: none

Postby Grizwald » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:20 pm

Vacuum sealers. Does anyone know if vacuum sealers (eg trade name seal-a-meal) will work for kite bladder material? Before I ruin one of my wife's favorite appliances I would like to know if anyone has tried this.
thx

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:51 am

Grizwald wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:20 pm
Vacuum sealers work ?
Short answer - Maybe. Best chance if sealing a short bladder tip or end. Suggest you try first on a scrap bit of bladder to sort out any problems.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:32 am

Grizwald wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:20 pm
Vacuum sealers. Does anyone know if vacuum sealers (eg trade name seal-a-meal) will work for kite bladder material? Before I ruin one of my wife's favorite appliances I would like to know if anyone has tried this.
thx
Absolutely it is the same stuff (in principle) they use at the factory to heat weld. There's a knob on the sealer that controls the temp so you need to get that dialed in exactly and also the pressure needs to be exactly right. Do NOT try this on the bladder you need to fix. Find an old bladder and experiment 20 or so times until you get the settings dialed in. I have a commercial grade heat impulse bag sealer but it's still finicky to get the settings right. Too low it won't weld too high it makes holes. I still am pretty bad at making those seals even though I've done it a lot. I watch these guys in YouTube making perfect welds and just shake my head.

Grizwald
Medium Poster
Weight: 72 kg
Gear: none

Postby Grizwald » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:28 pm

The sealer that my wife has does not have a heat adjustment or a pressure adjustment. One feeds in the ends and it buzzes and carries on and eventually spits out the sealed end. She has also discovered my nefarious plan so with that in mind... Edt any recommendations for a cheap unit that I can play with?
Does anyone have a good source for strut bladders? The company I dealt with in the past appears to be no more. The local shop sends them out. The only ones I can find with a search are the Tuff bladders which you have to make anyway.
As always thanks for your input

Return to “Gear Builders”