Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

UV protection for digital printing

Postby scklandl » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:32 pm

Planning on finally doing some precured topsheets with printed grapgics and stop the painting madness, but my resin system is not UV proof. and most printed graphics are UV unstable and prone to fast fades in the sun.

What Im trying to do is stopping the printed graphics from fading, my resin doesnt really yellow badly or much at all that I can tell, but the graphics I have used (printed cotton) and seen (digital print on rice paper) fades

I could purchase UV proof resins epoxy or possibly polyester for use in the pre cured topsheet or final spray coat with a UV proof clear coat, or is there a additive to be used to put into any resin system for UV protection?. Anyone got suggestions for either route and brands of preference?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: UV protection for digital printing

Postby Laughingman » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:59 am

scklandl wrote:Planning on finally doing some precured topsheets with printed grapgics and stop the painting madness, but my resin system is not UV proof. and most printed graphics are UV unstable and prone to fast fades in the sun.

What Im trying to do is stopping the printed graphics from fading, my resin doesnt really yellow badly or much at all that I can tell, but the graphics I have used (printed cotton) and seen (digital print on rice paper) fades

I could purchase UV proof resins epoxy or possibly polyester for use in the pre cured topsheet or final spray coat with a UV proof clear coat, or is there a additive to be used to put into any resin system for UV protection?. Anyone got suggestions for either route and brands of preference?
What print process are you using to print your sheets?

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:07 pm

not sure as of yet, researching printers now, looking for affordable graphics printers to get cost to board down to under $50

russzim
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot, Mystic and Naish
Been thanked: 0

Postby russzim » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:25 pm

I dont know to much about building boards but I work for a printing company and we have UV printers meaning there are high intensity UV lights on the printer that are used to cure the ink so would asume that this would be a good option as UV light should not affect the print especially once it has got some resign over it.

most of our prints are used outdoors and they last very well.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:06 pm

russzim wrote:I dont know to much about building boards but I work for a printing company and we have UV printers meaning there are high intensity UV lights on the printer that are used to cure the ink so would asume that this would be a good option as UV light should not affect the print especially once it has got some resign over it.

most of our prints are used outdoors and they last very well.

hah russzim, that is what I was maneuvering to as well. UV print is UV stable, I just was not sure if he had access to a UV printer. Another thing to mention is that you can print UV onto almost any flat substrate. You can even print to fabrics, there are tons of fabrics that we can print on using the UV flatbed, I'm not sure how the resin would react to the fabric or the UV print but I bet it would work just fine.

JMF
Frequent Poster

Postby JMF » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:47 pm

First line of defense will always be resin system. Gurit SP115 is very good. As for UV inks and mediums they all eventually get nailed by UV no matter how good they are.

http://www.gurit.com/files/documents/SP_115_v6.pdf

XSwind
Medium Poster

Postby XSwind » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:47 am

JMF wrote:First line of defense will always be resin system. Gurit SP115 is very good. As for UV inks and mediums they all eventually get nailed by UV no matter how good they are.

http://www.gurit.com/files/documents/SP_115_v6.pdf
SP115 is the dogs dangly bits, it is what I used to use.
If you are going precured then you have a ton of printing options, anything from cut out vinyl to laser printed paper graphics. I have used both and both work fine.

sprockett
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ruakaka Beach, One tree point,......
Favorite Beaches: Boracay, Philippines
Gear: Nobile, Flexifoil, Sprockett Boards
Brand Affiliation: Sprockett Boards (owner)

Postby sprockett » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:56 am

XSWind..
How does the Vinyl go?does it produce a weak spot in the lamination?
Sounds like a great way to get white into the print.
If you are looking at a new print system... get samples done and check color fastness (make sure its compatible with the resin...)

Return to “Gear Builders”