Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Undecided about Paulownia or foam? Ideas?

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
zob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90

Re: Undecided about Paulownia or foam? Ideas?

Postby zob » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:50 am

Wouldn't it help if you protect wood strips with thinn duct tape where you do not want strip to bon?. I guess it would be less hustle compared to having to cut it!'

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:03 pm

Tried that with cedar strip core and strips of heavy polyethylene film between channel strips.
Did not work as I hoped, the problem is twofold:
1. epoxy shrinks as it cures.
2. soft woods absorb some of the epoxy.
Both of these phenomena mean the joint shrinks slightly as it cures.
Nice for a strong, tight joint, but it clamps onto any tape or plastic so hard it tears when you try to remove it.
Ended up digging out most if not all of the tape, gluing all strips together and resawing.
But perhaps you would have better luck. Or skills!
Simplest for me is to make a normal core blank that can be tapered easily with planer or router, without worry about any unsupported strips that might tear out or crack (or just be harder to shape evenly) then cut apart where you want the channels.
Cutting the channels in, you can also make them at angle instead of straight along the strip edge, if you want. With a jigsaw you could even make them curved.
Of course, there's more than one way to skin a cat, so do whatever works for you!

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby downunder » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:40 pm

BWD wrote:Imagethink cheap, $20 but if you pay $40 you get the real blade from japan, thinner kerf and stays sharp for a long time. It will go through wood, carbon, glass like a knife through butter -for a while at least. A long while if you don't use it to cut a boat apart like I did. The cheap version is adequate for soft woods.
The good version is also sometimes called razor saw.
It's hard not to bleed a little when you use it casually.
It's an awesome tool, right up there with the low angle block plane, if you're into wood.
But for this most any hand saw would probably do fine.
Ok,

I'm about to order this saw. Is a tenon saw like this better or same for cutting the scarf joints, would you know?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gyokucho-Nok ... 0977123165

0.3mm thickness sounds very thin, hopefully doesn't wobble.
BWD wrote:Simplest for me is to make a normal core blank that can be tapered easily with planer or router, without worry about any unsupported strips that might tear out or crack (or just be harder to shape evenly) then cut apart where you want the channels.
Cutting the channels in, you can also make them at angle instead of straight along the strip edge, if you want. With a jigsaw you could even make them curved.
I like the above idea. Simple and fast. If I am reading this right, you would just cut the core for the channel length, correct? The cut should be very thin tho, hence the above saw:) I was thinking to place a veneer through the cut, or something to fill it with.

Cheers
D.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:18 pm

The style in the pic I posted doesn't wiggle because it cuts on the pull, tension keeps it straight. Also it has one side big teeth for ripping and the other side small teeth.
There is no thicker spine like on the back edge of the tenon saw so it's easier to make long cuts at any sawing angle. You can even vary the angle Between the handle and blade. I think it's the most versatile/best design. But the other saw is good too just more specific to certain tasks.

If you used a skil saw maybe you'd want to fill the kerf with something besides epoxy, but 1mm or less kerf would be effort for little benefit and a weaker structure, epoxy/microfiber (or filler of choice) does the job well. I would do a wide kerf maybe with some sliver of wood in the kerf as a wall for the channel if making really deep channels, but for tt board 2-4mm channels seem quite effective and still let tips flex. Huge channels could kill flex acting as a Z-beam...

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby sijandy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:36 am

Going back to the tapering of cores and home made profilers... has anyone tried or considered something like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triton-Planer ... 1110wt_934

Obviously this particular one wouldn't be wide enough but would make light work of the profiling stage if it can do the right angles.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:56 am

Thicknesser is a go. There are wider models as well.

The trick with that is to stick it on a profiled mold, otherwise it would eat the whole core.

Ppl do some light curves in a few passes. But, not for me since I work in our laundry :)

D.

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:51 pm

BWD love the way your making Channels, should work well with the way I make my ply boards, never thought to do it that way.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Fri May 02, 2014 1:25 pm

Today I've used an old hand plane for a first time in my life:) It's been sitting there dull as, never sharpened...

Heh, 1 hr spent with a bit of elbow grease, 9 strips done - 18 sides, 5mm tapered to 1mm, 30cm long...
DSC01093 (Small).JPG
My new top layer, 320 grams:
DSC01078 (Medium).JPG
DSC01078 (Medium).JPG (18.17 KiB) Viewed 1567 times

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards

Postby sijandy » Fri May 09, 2014 2:12 pm

Slightly off topic but... what do you guys use as your rocker table surface? I ask because i had an absolute disaster this week and have got to rebuild mine. Tried a new mould release agent....short answer, it didn't work! Basically board and table are now one.... well they were, the board is still intact allbeit with major chunks of 3/4in MDF on it after i spent the morning chiselling the shit out of it! Fuming! Thinking of going with perspex next, wanna try n go with double concave but not sure how easy that will be to achieve with a thick bit of perspex.

chrislandy
Rare Poster
Gear: Wakeboard

Postby chrislandy » Fri May 09, 2014 2:40 pm

my current table is 3mm ply over the stringers with 3mm perspex to lay the board up on. It worked really well but I'm trying HDPE next time as it has even more self releasing properties than perspex

Return to “Gear Builders”