Style: freeride
Gear: 7m Rebel
10 m Vegas
12 m Vegas
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Snowless winter

Postby sinker » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:11 pm

Well. After a no snow winter in the PNW I ended up making 6 boards for myself and friends. Some boards saw limited use here (due to winter), and some have gone to Mexico for rides. All riders have really been enjoying the ride of the board so it appears things are working. In the fall I had some bonding issues and switched materials and seem to have resolved that issue. Also, I added a silicone rubber heat blanket to the press and am really happy with what the heat brings to the table in cure and resin flow.
Couple of questions for the group.
Question is: Now that I am using a heat blanket (base side only) it seems that the glass is coming our hazy - not dry just less transparent than w/o the blanket. Am I turning the heat on too early in the press and not letting the resin saturate enough?
Second; In the past I have been using resin research fast kick hardener. The last 3 boards I used slow hardener. I like the lower stress of lay up pace with the the slow kick. Is there a downside to using the slow kick product?

Couple images for your enjoyment. Thanks for input.
Attachments
boards at roosevelt.JPG
Three boards at Roosevelt during a early Feb session. Center board was laid up w/o heat blanket and side 2 had heat.
RM base.JPG
Typical base

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Snowless winter

Postby BWD » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:52 pm

tasty looking boards!
not sure about the haze, could be outgassing from core or expansion of tiny bubbles in the layup form heating too early as you said, or something else. If your shop is unheated or
unevenly heated or materials stored cold, could condensation be a factor?

I would say make sure everything is temperature controlled and layup at a falling temperature, until resin has gelled, then ramp up heat. Pros program their ovens to heat gradually, sometimes over a few hours, hold postcure heat for some hours then ramp down slowly... You could do this with a computer, tweaking a thermostat, or opening/closing vents on a hot box.

I have only done things the low tech way, but I like to warm everything up especially the resin (but not much, just to 80 F or so) then cut on the AC while glassing.

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby piccio » Mon May 04, 2015 5:51 am

BWD wrote:tasty looking boards!
not sure about the haze, could be outgassing from core or expansion of tiny bubbles in the layup form heating too early as you said, or something else. If your shop is unheated or
unevenly heated or materials stored cold, could condensation be a factor?

I would say make sure everything is temperature controlled and layup at a falling temperature, until resin has gelled, then ramp up heat. Pros program their ovens to heat gradually, sometimes over a few hours, hold postcure heat for some hours then ramp down slowly... You could do this with a computer, tweaking a thermostat, or opening/closing vents on a hot box.

I have only done things the low tech way, but I like to warm everything up especially the resin (but not much, just to 80 F or so) then cut on the AC while glassing.

nafets
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby nafets » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:21 pm

I really like the paint job, and it looks simple to make. How did you do it?

Thanks

Return to “Gear Builders”