Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to build a bar? Just the rod/pole item ~60cm. Anyone done it?

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How to build a bar? Just the rod/pole item ~60cm. Anyone done it?

Postby downunder » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:08 am

Ha, ha,

why don't you tell this to him than? Horses for courses man, he well knows what he is doing, who are we to judge?

And, oh, btw, I appreciate the effort in building this bar ends, but I hope you ALL do realise that it's an eye "opener"? One hit into the eye with this, and man, you'll not know know what's worst, loosing the eye, or almost drowning after.

See, how easy we diminish someone else's sense of 'safety' :) But, it might perfectly work for you, forever and ever.

Good luck.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:34 am

downunder wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:08 am
Ha, ha,

why don't you tell this to him than? Horses for courses man, he well knows what he is doing, who are we to judge?

And, oh, btw, I appreciate the effort in building this bar ends, but I hope you ALL do realise that it's an eye "opener"? One hit into the eye with this, and man, you'll not know know what's worst, loosing the eye, or almost drowning after.

See, how easy we diminish someone else's sense of 'safety' :) But, it might perfectly work for you, forever and ever.

Good luck.
Good luck poking your eye out with a rubber band...

They look pointy, but they are made that thin because the flexible rubber bends better when it is as thin as possible. I will make a video soon to show how flexible they are!
For sure a lot safer than those solid pointy ends on all other carbon bars.

kite_hh
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, North, own

Postby kite_hh » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:11 am

evan wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:34 am
They look pointy, but they are made that thin because the flexible rubber bends better when it is as thin as possible.
Did you make those yourself? If so, how about adding some kind of deferring to them? Like an L shape. So that the line cannot "trap" the hand on the bar when a more extreme steering is made. Maybe 5+ cm could be enough.

Similar to these bar ends: ./bar?lang=en

By the way: I think the Kauper Pintxo bar (./bar?lang=en) looks like an awesome bar! He does offer the Wichard as an option, which I don't think is smart nor necessary, but the standard Pintxo bar comes with a very reasonable and perfectly working KISS QR and safety release.

I would really like some details on his trimming system. It sure looks great.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:45 am

Kudos to Kauper Pintxo for pointing out so obvious simplicity of Wichard...I guess more and more we will see them, simply because sick any tired of marketing bs. Particularly since many of us are aging, not into unhooking or freestyle any more.

Btw, kite_hh, here you go, one of the solutions how to get rig of dangling part, isn't it. However, I do have my Wichard reversed, so it's a pull away, as it should be. Still waiting to see your demo KISS QR with one hand. How is that going?

evan, people thought the Ozone release is safe, didn't they? ;) It's not how soft something is, but how it manages to find the way into the eye :) As you see, I'm not the only one pointing the obvious...

But, you might be safe till the end of time.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:52 am

my firned once lost his bar and lines back in the day before kiteshops and built one from purchases from a diy store!

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:42 am

kite_hh wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:11 am
evan wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:34 am
They look pointy, but they are made that thin because the flexible rubber bends better when it is as thin as possible.
Did you make those yourself? If so, how about adding some kind of deferring to them? Like an L shape. So that the line cannot "trap" the hand on the bar when a more extreme steering is made. Maybe 5+ cm could be enough.

Similar to these bar ends: ./bar?lang=en

By the way: I think the Kauper Pintxo bar (./bar?lang=en) looks like an awesome bar! He does offer the Wichard as an option, which I don't think is smart nor necessary, but the standard Pintxo bar comes with a very reasonable and perfectly working KISS QR and safety release.

I would really like some details on his trimming system. It sure looks great.
That is only the case when you put your hands all the way on the end of the bar while putting the bar at 90deg, not a normal riding pose. Even then the force in the leader line is nowhere near enough to make the pinch painful, at least with the race kites I use when testing it deliberately last session. But with normal riding and my hands in the center 50% of the bar, pinching my hands between the leaders and bar never occurred in all the years riding this setup so there is no need to make it more complicated than needed.

kite_hh
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, North, own

Postby kite_hh » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:49 pm

evan wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:42 am
That is only the case when you put your hands all the way on the end of the bar while putting the bar at 90deg, not a normal riding pose. Even then the force in the leader line is nowhere near enough to make the pinch painful, at least with the race kites I use when testing it deliberately last session. But with normal riding and my hands in the center 50% of the bar, pinching my hands between the leaders and bar never occurred in all the years riding this setup so there is no need to make it more complicated than needed.
Thanks for the feedback! Sounds convincing. I just wonder why most major brands include those deferrers. I figured it was to prevent any chance of getting trapped in an unusual situation. Is it "just" to make the winding of the lines easier?

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:52 am

ap888 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:14 pm
^^agree the sand will go in between and inside that mechanism not as good for our purpose big drawback
Old post I know, but keep the wichard connected to your harness and not the bar when not flying and then you won't get sand in it...

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:45 am

I have found MTB handle bars a good option to build a bar from. Strong, cheap and the centre thickened section perfect for glueing in a nylon block.
I just haven’t worked out a good bar end yet, these are North ends, fit perfectly.
Attachments
58BF00D1-FEDD-491E-B094-F6CCF679DFAE.jpeg
Carbon bar

qba-epp11
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mietkowskie Lake
Favorite Beaches: Leba
Style: foil, freeride
Gear: Bracuru, Moses, Cabrinha, Airush, Flysurfer

Postby qba-epp11 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:33 am

This is bar made by my friend. Inspiration was Kauper Pintxo bar.

Work very well.
Inside details

Pulleys place
Carbon pipe is only cover

Return to “Gear Builders”