Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to build a bar? Just the rod/pole item ~60cm. Anyone done it?

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
teftelja
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Novorossiysk, Russia.
Gear: Bandits 2018 10,8,6. Foil Rdb, surf tomo evo, twintip.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How to build a bar? Just the rod/pole item ~60cm. Anyone done it?

Postby teftelja » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:03 pm

omg wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:34 pm
teftelja wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:14 pm
Made epoxy plugs in airex. When bar was finished i drilled holes trough them and inserted tubes using epoxy. I dont think tt its a good idea, but time Will tell. 2 other bars Will be made using another bar end types. It is a kind of experiment.
How did you make the center hole, I mean which material you used?
Looks nice :thumb:
One bar - larit 285 epoxy with Ud cf. Another two centerpiece are made with wencon ceramic epoxy. I believe tt larit with cf is better, but time Will tell.
These users thanked the author teftelja for the post:
omg (Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:06 am)
Rating: 3.03%

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:11 pm

teftelja wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:58 pm
tomtom wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:19 pm
teftelja wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:06 pm
Im hesitating if i should add a flag release for peak 4. I dont own them yet
I have it but just O shit leash attachment point for front lines. Without leash. I never used it and for HF power size it is not needed. Kite is perfectly safe without. You can always crash it and made it unrestartable in water.

For snowkiting you need it.
I am not afraid of killing power in strong wind with flat water. But what about 1.5-2 m waves. If i drop peak and waves Will eat it do i need flag out not to be pulled under water. The only circumstanse i use flag out release with inflatable is dropping the kite in a wave.
Sorry for offtopic
dont drop it

teftelja
Rare Poster

Postby teftelja » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:16 pm

If it is down, full release?

teftelja
Rare Poster

Postby teftelja » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:28 pm

omg wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:34 pm
teftelja wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:14 pm
Made epoxy plugs in airex. When bar was finished i drilled holes trough them and inserted tubes using epoxy. I dont think tt its a good idea, but time Will tell. 2 other bars Will be made using another bar end types. It is a kind of experiment.
How did you make the center hole, I mean which material you used?
Looks nice :thumb:
Made some kind of casing over two airex rectangular rods with 7 cm spacing between them. Filled it with epoxy with cf. Then grinded to oval shape

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:31 am

teftelja wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:16 pm
If it is down, full release?
full release is not an option - it can submerge - you will loose it probably

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:05 am

yes, full release is really not an option; I had the kite fall down once while foiling due to a very odd complete short period of zero wind which resulted the kite to taco or something and just dropped to the water and no way to relaunch. The outcome was that with the foil going upwind due to small board & big wing, I needed to hold the board with my hand (no way to sit on board, very small pocket board and the wing just wanted to come out of the water ie. balancing was not possible). Hence the time to get to the kite was extended and the damn thing was sinking, and imagine how hard it is to pull the 5m Peak from the depths?!? I hope I'd never need to do that again. :o

twig
Medium Poster
Style: freeride/boosting/Hydrofoil/race
Gear: Flysurfer speed4 lotus 12m
Flysurfer Sonic fr 18m
Flysurfer Sonic2 15m
North Vegas 11m
Flysurfer sonic race 9m
Ozone Reov4 7m

Moses Vorace 101 2017
w558 w590

Flysurfer Flysplit m

Postby twig » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:33 pm

Im on my way to make my own bars as well, I want to glue carbonfiber tubes inside each other to strengthen the middle.

Just a quick question,

Any tips on what glue to use for this?

I guess something pretty liquid to pour into the bigger tube before putting the smaller inside the bigger.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:41 pm

twig wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:33 pm
Im on my way to make my own bars as well, I want to glue carbonfiber tubes inside each other to strengthen the middle.

Just a quick question,

Any tips on what glue to use for this?

I guess something pretty liquid to pour into the bigger tube before putting the smaller inside the bigger.
I'd use laminating epoxy. Having tubes inside each other is ok idea, but to do it in practice may be quite messy. I'd use (also) some solid material in the middle for the center hole, probably some light weight hard wood. Impregnated with epoxy or superglue it is good friction material against depowerline. Filling tube with insulation foam or pieces of styrofoam is worth considering, then water can never get in.

Schietwedder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Surendorf, Kiel, Germany
Gear: Diy Gear

Postby Schietwedder » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:16 pm

When using Epoxy as a glue add a bit of microfiber/cotton, gives it a bit more strength.
When shaping holes (depower) add a bit of microbaloons which makes it more easy and smooth when sanding/drilling. Microbaloons weaken the structual properties of Epoxy a bit though so not recommended for bonding.

For most epoxies post curing in the oven adds a decent amount of strength but read the instructions and technical data of the system before and don't go higher than 75% TG (Glass transition temperature) if you dont know what youre doing exactly.
For most hand laminating systems around 50°C to 60°C is sufficent for a few hours. Dont know if it really makes a big difference in practice there is more important factors in how you build/design/reinforce it but it can help for sure.

Sometimes when using carbon tubes, and this is probably the most inportant point, they are quite smooth, if not painted on the outside and might have some leftovers of Vaguum bagging material, or even worse wax/release agent on the inside which needs to be removed very carefully to insure any bonding.

Winding (in a variation of directions) some drenched carbon fiber rovings at areas of high stress (midle part with holes and ends where steering lines attach can be very effective.
And the most important rule of thumb: increasing the diameter of a pipe increases the strength by the 3rd order aproximately. Drilling holes, especially in carbon fiber, decreasing it by serious amounts too because youre cutting the material away which has the largest stress when the bar is being bent.

Schietwedder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Surendorf, Kiel, Germany
Gear: Diy Gear

Postby Schietwedder » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:22 pm

Uni directional carbon fiber tubes, leave alone extruded are the most fragile when you drill holes.
Pullwinded at an angle of around 30 degrees seem to be one of the better choices.

Return to “Gear Builders”