Juice 11
Evo 9
Slick 5
RRD bliss LTD
Curve and Fluid foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pocket board building

Postby dericcio2 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:39 pm

by cutting 80% of the wood and gluing it again by filling with epoxy, what is the advantage of using pawlonia?
it is a lot of work, it is ugly and stiffness maybe it is the same but not breaking resistance.

instead of plywood you can buy easily with a thickness of 4-5 mm (1200x600x4mm weight 1,2kg) glue toghether by setting the rocker?
or eventually gluing 4 mm plywood to xps just to have hard surface against heel
maybe some problems I do not see?
merl wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:40 pm
Hi

Have a look at the picture of my second version. Starts at 10cm distance and reduces to about 5 near the nose. I used the smallest router bit that I could find. It worked but there could be better ways.
20200322_182758.jpg20200322_182828.jpg

I used epoxy thickened with bubbles. It is easier if it is a bit runny.

I don't think you need to worry about the strength if you are using glass. Steaming looks very difficult.

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:33 am

dericcio2 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:39 pm
by cutting 80% of the wood and gluing it again by filling with epoxy, what is the advantage of using pawlonia?
it is a lot of work, it is ugly and stiffness maybe it is the same but not breaking resistance.

instead of plywood you can buy easily with a thickness of 4-5 mm (1200x600x4mm weight 1,2kg) glue toghether by setting the rocker?
or eventually gluing 4 mm plywood to xps just to have hard surface against heel
maybe some problems I do not see?
merl wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:40 pm
Hi

Have a look at the picture of my second version. Starts at 10cm distance and reduces to about 5 near the nose. I used the smallest router bit that I could find. It worked but there could be better ways.
20200322_182758.jpg20200322_182828.jpg

I used epoxy thickened with bubbles. It is easier if it is a bit runny.

I don't think you need to worry about the strength if you are using glass. Steaming looks very difficult.
(1) If you are using a skin of fiberglass then the core is maybe not where the strength comes from. I don't think that it reduces strength by much if anything - but it might mean that you cannot go with the absolute lightest skin material. (2) I have used plywood a lot for twintips and shinnster style boards but it is much heavier. You maybe need to worry about it sinking with a heavier foil? If you want (or need) something reasonably light then I think you will get better results from Paulonwnia. (3) It does not have to be so ugly. At least I don't think so as you can always use some paint (2.6kg 110 x 47 with foam in the nose area)
20191013_170321.jpg
20191013_170352.jpg
These users thanked the author merl for the post:
dericcio2 (Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:14 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

merl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby merl » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:39 am

[Edit] Definitely have a go with plywood and let us know how you get on. A key issue that you need to address is stiffness. If it is not stiff then it will not work well. But can you make it stiff without excessive weight? If you already have over 1kg for a 4-5mm sheet then you need at least two layers plus some glass/carbon for stiffness and even then it may be too flexy. To get up to 18mm as in the paulownia here you will be getting really heavy with plywood.

dericcio2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: South of Germany and north east Italy
Style: Freestyle Freeride
Gear: Dice 12
Juice 11
Evo 9
Slick 5
RRD bliss LTD
Curve and Fluid foil

Postby dericcio2 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:23 pm

well I understand, pawlonia winning combination means: stiffness + lightness with less glass (and wood looking)
considering the material I have already in my garage and no big advantage for me using paulownia I switch my project from no volume to low volume : 2cm+2cm XPS + 3x200 GF + 3x200 GF calculated weight around 2,5kg good enough for me..

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:42 pm

Lightweight plywood / Balsa plywood is another option that looks very suitable. It is quite widely available since it gets used for caravan building. 9 / 15 / 18 / 25 mm thickness options (in Australia). And comes in at a reasonable density of around 250 Kg/m^3.

I haven't made a board from it myself (Have used End-grain balsa panels as well as thin Balsa planks for 2 boards), but would be keen to go for the Balsa plywood on the next board.
These users thanked the author PrfctChaos for the post:
dericcio2 (Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:59 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

merl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby merl » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:07 am

PrfctChaos wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:42 pm
Lightweight plywood / Balsa plywood is another option that looks very suitable. It is quite widely available since it gets used for caravan building. 9 / 15 / 18 / 25 mm thickness options (in Australia). And comes in at a reasonable density of around 250 Kg/m^3.

I haven't made a board from it myself (Have used End-grain balsa panels as well as thin Balsa planks for 2 boards), but would be keen to go for the Balsa plywood on the next board.
Sounds interesting, but from what I have seen the types of wood and foam available varies massively across the globe. In EU we have very limited selection of Paulownia for example, but in Au it is super common. Is balsa plywood common in EU, anyone? [Edit: found some in my country: https://cdon.se/leksaker/tpc-linden-bal ... -p53795791]. A bit expensive maybe. Would be interesting to work out the density.

dericcio2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: South of Germany and north east Italy
Style: Freestyle Freeride
Gear: Dice 12
Juice 11
Evo 9
Slick 5
RRD bliss LTD
Curve and Fluid foil

Postby dericcio2 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:01 pm

good tip, balsa is available in Germany ebay, in many thickness, need to be glued starting from 100cmx10cm, yet reasonable .
only point .... not cheap ...
PrfctChaos wrote:

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:51 pm

dericcio2 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:01 pm
good tip, balsa is available in Germany ebay, in many thickness, need to be glued starting from 100cmx10cm, yet reasonable .
only point .... not cheap ...
PrfctChaos wrote:

I'm talking about full size balsa plywood panels, not strips / planks. Like this:
https://gen-eco.com.au/balsa-banova

Seems to work pretty well searching for "Banova plywood" (I think Banova is the manufacturing company). For example: here is a link for a supplier in Holland (just a 2 min search, these are not necessarily the best people, just a example):
https://kuiperholland.nl/product/banova-plywood/

Another type of lightweight plywood is Falcatta plywood, but comes in at a bit higher density of 350-400 Kg /m^3

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:01 am

Are you guys in the EU not visiting Bauhaus?

Bauhaus Paulownia panels are super cheap there. Something we in Australia do not have in Bunnings which is the main shop here. To be fair, we in AU have only a few sources of Paulownia and shipping is a massive price part.

Here:
https://www.bauhaus.dk/hylde-paulownia- ... x400x18-mm = AU$11 for which I can't by anything....

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:14 am

dericcio2 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:23 pm
well I understand, pawlonia winning combination means: stiffness + lightness with less glass (and wood looking)
considering the material I have already in my garage and no big advantage for me using paulownia I switch my project from no volume to low volume : 2cm+2cm XPS + 3x200 GF + 3x200 GF calculated weight around 2,5kg good enough for me..
Here is the problem,

many DIY boards with XPS drink water ;) That is your worst enemy. Even half-pro buddy who had board businesses, have issues with xps.

You might be of better luck tho.

Return to “Gear Builders”