Gear: Cabrinha, North, own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How I built my own kite surfing bar

Postby kite_hh » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:12 am

downunder wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:10 am
Hmm,

your test is fine, but it *will* break. And this is the reason:

- if you did not sand the middle part from inside, the epoxy is just holding for now.

- because the tube is black, it will heat significantly, which might impact the epoxy surface.

Hence, heaps more carbon reinforcement is needed around the hole which is way to big for a tiny rope?

The bar ends are not soft. Are you wearing sunnies when on water? I was hit into my eye with the FS solid bar end, there was blood, was disoriented, and almost blacked out.

D.
There is a risk of breakage. I am aware. I am sure my bar can be broken just like any other bar will break if you aim to do so.

Maybe it is even wise (and probably very professional) to build several bars alike and destroy some bars willfully. Just to figure out where its limits are. I think someone on this forum did just that (evan?) and it totally makes sense. Would I be selling these I would choose a similar path.

Thanks for the advice on heat! Should the sun come out I will take extra precautions. However, we don't get too sunny and hot weather here. Unfortunately. :-D

Do you really think the hard bar ends are something to worry about? I am all for minimizing risks, but neither are other bars "soft" nor did I experience any situations where a bar would hit me in the eye.

Don't get me wrong I am sure it can happen somehow, but from my experience it seems the odds are higher that the nose (or fins) of my waveboard will hit me in the eye than any part of the bar coming close to my face. ;-)

kite_hh
Frequent Poster

Postby kite_hh » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:16 am

ap888 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:36 am
^...no risk no fun
Haha. I guess there is some risk involved. :-)
Not sure this is causal to the fun I have, but it's true: not kiting is the safest way to not have an accident kiting. ;-)

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:26 am

No need to go that many miles to prove it for yourself...Not comparable with alu/metal bars either, carbon is brittle, alu is not. Alu bends, carbon shatters.

Well, put it this way, is your bar end sharp as it is when cut off? Even if slightly sanded? ;) If it is, that will hurt hard. Trust me, I never expected to be hit in the eye. Never happens, right? We do not crash, ever:)

Easy fix, a champagne cork can go for long.

I'll repeat, the carbon tubes have a release film inside the tube. If not sanded properly, than your epoxy is just waiting to release. This was discussed many, many times.

D.

kite_hh
Frequent Poster

Postby kite_hh » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:37 am

downunder wrote: No need to go that many miles to prove it for yourself...Not comparable with alu/metal bars either, carbon is brittle, alu is not. Alu bends, carbon shatters.

Well, put it this way, is your bar end sharp as it is when cut off? Even if slightly sanded? ;) If it is, that will hurt hard. Trust me, I never expected to be hit in the eye. Never happens, right? We do not crash, ever:)

Easy fix, a champagne cork can go for long.

I'll repeat, the carbon tubes have a release film inside the tube. If not sanded properly, than your epoxy is just waiting to release. This was discussed many, many times.

D.
I will watch out for any signs of the epoxy coming undone. So far it is holding on tight.

Unfortunately I don't have no champagne around, but for the next bar I will look into softening the ends. Thanks!

thewindego
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Gear: core and windego boards

Postby thewindego » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:22 pm

I've had a black eye from a bar nailing me when I tripped over the handlebars kind of fall.

ap888
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Zion/K peir/Inver/Goderich
Favorite Beaches: Good wind/Flat water/Good waves
Style: Foil/Loops/Big Air/Strapless
Gear: Ozone Uno V2 4m
North Neo (17) 5m
Cabrinha Drifter (16) 8m
Flysurfer Sonic 2 -11m
Moses
BWS Stallion 5’
CrazyFly Shox Custom 135
Groove Skate
Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: HFL

Postby ap888 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:37 pm

Could shove some nice looking type of foam in the end leave it sticking out a cm or 2 for protection :thumb:

kite_hh
Frequent Poster

Postby kite_hh » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:18 pm

I tested the bar with a small kite out on the field.

I wore gloves and increased pressure gradually. It went really well! :D

The bar felt sturdy and did not make any funny noises. I could not make out any cracks even upon close inspection. The wind was not too strong so I did not get a good feel on how the bar might behave on the water.

I also tested the quick release and it worked fine. As @Laughingman pointed out earlier the safety line once had the tendency to get twisted around the power line. It got untangled quickly and did not twist again, but I will need to keep an eye on that.

The next step will be to bring out a bigger kite and see what happens with more pressure. I am carefully optimistic. If the wind is right I may even go somewhere shallow and try it in the water.

blu
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Great Lakes
Favorite Beaches: Cayo Coco
Gear: Flysurfer Lift Sabfoil Gong

Postby blu » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:01 pm

kite_hh wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:15 pm
It is finally done. I built my own kite bar.

Here is a picture of it:
bar2.jpg

I also did a little write up on how I did it.

It can be read here: https://dannlos.de/DIY_kite_bar.php

Thanks for all the help. I can't wait to test it. :D
great project, I'm building my own bar and looking for the good source of good quality lines.
Where do you buy Liros sk99 lines?

collider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Plumb
Gear: Arcs/Foils

Postby collider » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:53 pm

blu - I got sk99 from Greenhat (US). Great folks to deal with.

Nice bar kite_hh. Love to hear how it holds up.

I'm thinking some 1" id round rubber or plastic chair leg tips might work for bar ends. Anyone try that yet? I suppose I could add some tennis balls for a full carbon walker.

kite_hh
Frequent Poster

Postby kite_hh » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:31 am

Thanks!

I bought at (and hence the prices in the write up refer to this dealer) https://www.blackbox-sailing.de/ . They had a good variety of types and colors and a nice contact, so I could get exactly what I wanted.

Return to “Gear Builders”