Modify a carbon mast to fit a slingshot hoverglide fuselage

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
Brian H
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Modify a carbon mast to fit a slingshot hoverglide fuselage

Postby Brian H » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:16 pm

Are you making a 40 inch mast for the new lift one piece foils

BayAreaKite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fay Bainbridge
Favorite Beaches: Squamish, Crissy, Waddell
Style: All types!
Gear: Ozone kites, Project Cedrus foil
Brand Affiliation: Owner of Adherend Innovations / Project Cedrus

Postby BayAreaKite » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:16 pm

I'm not. My tooling allows for up to 90cm / 36in. Which after adapters and mounts approaches 37". I could modify the fixture and go a little longer, but most of my customers are asking for shorter. My target market is not race or speed guys, since I'll be the first to admit my mast is a little draggier due to thicker section which allows me to make it hollow, stiff, and light. But mast drag is peanuts compared to the high lift wings most people are riding it with. Shoot me a message through the site if you're seriously interested in a longer mast or learning more.

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:45 pm

Question, please: I have Moses Fluente with 633 wings, and the 91cm mast in certain situations (waves with low tide and reefs) is a bit too long and I would like to have a shorter mast, abt 70cm would be perfect for these conditions. However, Moses 71cm mast is quite expensive and hence I’m looking for a cheaper alternative, but is there any?

Thanks and sorry about a bit OT.

Andyp
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Far Beach, Seaforth, Whitsundays
Style: Hydrofoil, twintip, landkiting
Gear: Homemade Hydrofoil,

Postby Andyp » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:21 am

omg wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:45 pm
Question, please: I have Moses Fluente with 633 wings, and the 91cm mast in certain situations (waves with low tide and reefs) is a bit too long and I would like to have a shorter mast, abt 70cm would be perfect for these conditions. However, Moses 71cm mast is quite expensive and hence I’m looking for a cheaper alternative, but is there any?

Thanks and sorry about a bit OT.
Hey yes there is a cheaper alternative Houston kiteboarding Have a Moses fuselage to slingshot alloy mast adapter. $70. PLUS $79 for mast base plate.And $90 for 30 inch mast. Cheaper than a smaller carbon mast. I have ordered an adapter waiting for it to arrive in the post Cheers Image
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-03-04-17-48-32.png
These users thanked the author Andyp for the post:
omg (Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:20 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:30 pm

BayAreaKite wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:39 pm
... So I actually question the point of most carbon foils. Look at the picture of the lift mast up top, it's all resin.
I wish it was all resin! The core is damn foam.

That mast is en route around half the planet to a dear buddy of mine who got me into kiting. It's better late than never to get him into foiling.
He made few carbon boards before and has access to turning/milling machine to make a fuselage. So that MHL hopefully is getting reincarnated.

P.S. Your and Stringy's works are great. I believe aluminum mast is awesome and affordable solution and when combined with proper bottom it can deliver major riding pleasure and at less cost that carbon mast incurs.

BayAreaKite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fay Bainbridge
Favorite Beaches: Squamish, Crissy, Waddell
Style: All types!
Gear: Ozone kites, Project Cedrus foil
Brand Affiliation: Owner of Adherend Innovations / Project Cedrus

Postby BayAreaKite » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:16 pm

grigorib wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:30 pm

I wish it was all resin! The core is damn foam.
The foam absorbs resin as it is infused. It's like a sponge. They are not using a closed-cell foam, which can avoid this problem... but creates other problems with strength if the laminate is not sized properly.

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:08 pm

Hi, everyone some how speaking about shorter mast whish to Moses foil, but i dreaming about much much longer mast than is available from Moses or Slingshot, and it's not possible to purchase it, because it's simple not made for purchase - i dreaming about foil mast of 122 cm or 144 cm lenght.
My idea is to melt to slinghot masts for example 41cm+91cm to one mast and put it to moses fuselage (As i have all Onda).

Can someone tell me it''s possible in real life to melt two alumiunn Slingshot masts to one, and it will be ridable and can stand for 74kg weight in normal speed (i'm not speaking about extreme race speeds) ?

alowishus
Medium Poster
Gear: ozone airush slingshot moses

Postby alowishus » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:18 am

a99 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:08 pm
Hi, everyone some how speaking about shorter mast whish to Moses foil, but i dreaming about much much longer mast than is available from Moses or Slingshot, and it's not possible to purchase it, because it's simple not made for purchase - i dreaming about foil mast of 122 cm or 144 cm lenght.
My idea is to melt to slinghot masts for example 41cm+91cm to one mast and put it to moses fuselage (As i have all Onda).

Can someone tell me it''s possible in real life to melt two alumiunn Slingshot masts to one, and it will be ridable and can stand for 74kg weight in normal speed (i'm not speaking about extreme race speeds) ?
I know what you mean.
I'm now riding the Moses 683S on my SS mast via the foilmount adapter. It is awesome.
I'd be happy with an extra 10-15cm on the 90cm SS mast for ocean chop.
The mast certainly seems stiff enough and the extra weight would be pretty minimal (SS masts are approx. 2150grams per metre, so about an extra 300grams).
IMO where you notice the extra weight is at the end of the mast i.e. fuse and wings. That is also where Moses kills the Slingshot system.
I have also thought about somehow connecting two SS masts together but I don't know of a good way to do it.
Any weak point would be highly undesirable and potentially disastrous if you lose your foil :o .
If anyone knows where the SS masts are extruded, maybe it is possible to order a custom length. Then you just need to block off the ends and tap the screw holes. Wouldn't be difficult at all :idea: .

Return to “Gear Builders”