Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dual braided lines

Postby FredBGG » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:36 pm

Hi

I an looking for thin dual braided lines.

In particular I am looking for a dual braided line or a line with a sheath and core where the core is a bright color and the line inside is a bright color.

I'm looking for this to design a safety device and I want the hi viz core to function as a wear indicator.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thnaks

Fred

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Re: Dual braided lines

Postby edt » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:14 pm

all the woven kite line has no core, usually 12 strand but sometimes 4 or 8 while all the line with a sheath has straight line (I think that's only q-power) and the core there is always white. What you want doesn't exist. You can make some tho if you want, you'll have to buy some q-power line then an equal amount of colored dyneema take out the straight core of the q-power and replace it with the colored woven line. You could also buy some type 1 paracord (1.85mm) those come in a lot of colors use that as your sheath and pull it.

nixmatters
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: custom made
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Dual braided lines

Postby nixmatters » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:05 am

FredBGG wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:36 pm
Hi

I an looking for thin dual braided lines.

In particular I am looking for a dual braided line or a line with a sheath and core where the core is a bright color and the line inside is a bright color.

I'm looking for this to design a safety device and I want the hi viz core to function as a wear indicator.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thnaks

Fred
Not a rocket science, but not easy either.
How many (thousand) meters do you need?
Let me know what specs you are after (thickness, breaking strength, elongation) and I'll get you a quote.

For the sake of the discussion here, few thoughts from the top of my head:
- Thickness to strength ratio. Core and sheath have different elongation to break, even if both are Dyneema/Spectra. Due to lower core elongation, the max strength will come from a quite a thin core.
- If the core is braided (not just yarn roving) it needs to be prestretched. Coating it in any color is not an issue, as long as you have sufficient qty to make this cost efficient.
- Dark/contrast color coating of the outer braid might penetrate and stain the inner, making sheath wear less visible. If you are fine with black outer colour - then we just take black Dyneema.

Here is a 2.2mm black Dyneema double braid. But the core function is to make the line round and stiff. If we make the core thicker and sheathing thinner, a contrast core might be slightly visible through the outer braid.
Attachments
IMG_20191031_070146.jpg

Return to “Gear Builders”