Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

depower lines and splicing

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: depower lines and splicing

Postby Herman » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:39 am

The bungy stops the hollow core collapsing and improves cleat grip. You could add a different core in the cleating section of rope if you did not want the puckering!

Faklord's input was on the money imho!

PS If you want something nice on the hands you could also consider a covered line and just do an inline splice with the core and tuck or whip the cover!

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:44 am

Herman wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:39 am
The bungy stops the hollow core collapsing and improves cleat grip. You could add a different core in the cleating section of rope if you did not want the puckering!

Faklord's input was on the money imho!

PS If you want something nice on the hands you could also consider a covered line and just do an inline splice with the core and tuck or whip the cover!
I used a covered line on one attempt. One has to be very careful how you blend in the cover where you make the loop for the quick release. In my case the QR would once in a great while hang up on the whipping I used to finish off the transition between cover and the core that formed the loop.

So in my opinion - you should be very careful using a covered line and only use it if you are very good at burying the cover into the core at the point of transition.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:15 am

If the covered line is only the top section it is nowhere near the qr. However burring a cover does cause extra bulk and you need to check that your bar does not jam on the tapered or whipped section of Centreline if you have it below the cleat. To me covered line does not seem worth the hassle but I have seen it used by some racer types who ride more on CL adjusting with line in hand.

I do think it is worth experimenting with hollow core fillers if you are using cleats and are experiencing some slippage problems.

I did use a covered top section a long time ago whilst experimenting with different setups but I used a fisherman knot just below the cleat with and without insurance stitching and this worked without problem.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:39 am

You could use a splice trimmer in lieu of a cleat.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:27 am

Is there a bar and lines company? (That don't make kites)

Needs to be one because I would buy this instead of the low life kite companies that try and design with planned obsolescence , expensive propriatory parts and non compatibility issues these days.

For depowers it would be cool to pull the tail all the way back and up through the deeper.s length.. double thickness.. a backup core...

Hmmm wonder if this possible..

Rope and stainless is best.. the increasing use of moulded plastic in bar setups will result in shorter lasting equipment that falls apart/ unsafe after some time of degridation of moulded plastic material properties.

I have put locking slices is loads of 5mm dymeema.. it us not too hard.

What was the best chicken loop with a simple tie a rope on method/ larks head attachment..?

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:01 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:27 am
Is there a bar and lines company? (That don't make kites)

Needs to be one because I would buy this instead of the low life kite companies that try and design with planned obsolescence , expensive propriatory parts and non compatibility issues these days.

For depowers it would be cool to pull the tail all the way back and up through the deeper.s length.. double thickness.. a backup core...

Hmmm wonder if this possible..

Rope and stainless is best.. the increasing use of moulded plastic in bar setups will result in shorter lasting equipment that falls apart/ unsafe after some time of degridation of moulded plastic material properties.

I have put locking slices is loads of 5mm dymeema.. it us not too hard.

What was the best chicken loop with a simple tie a rope on method/ larks head attachment..?
https://www.kiteattitude.fr/en/14-freestyle-wave-bars ?
These users thanked the author faklord for the post:
longwhitecloud (Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:46 am)
Rating: 3.03%

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:21 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:27 am

Hmmm wonder if this possible

This is exactly what I have done here:
3EB3AD98-091B-446B-B7F5-294305F33761.jpeg
Spliced loop (inside quick release) with very long buried tail (full length of bar throw) also lock stitched over full length but could use a Brummell lock). Haven’t used it yet but will soon.
De-power line can be replaced using an Allen key.
Inside of q/r can be seen here https://www.kiteattitude.fr/en/blog/tut ... -version-2

It’s a short q/r. Easy to reset. Kite attitude seem to encourage DIY builds & maintenance.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:12 pm

You can get some bar parts a lot cheaper off aliexpress.

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:15 am

faklord wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:21 pm

This is exactly what I have done here:
3EB3AD98-091B-446B-B7F5-294305F33761.jpeg
Spliced loop (inside quick release) with very long buried tail (full length of bar throw) also lock stitched over full length but could use a Brummell lock). Haven’t used it yet but will soon.
De-power line can be replaced using an Allen key.
Inside of q/r can be seen here https://www.kiteattitude.fr/en/blog/tut ... -version-2

It’s a short q/r. Easy to reset. Kite attitude seem to encourage DIY builds & maintenance.
I did a similar thing here. Depower line looped through the North chicken loop (which normally has two lines running out of it), and then a long-bury splice up the bar throw. Lock-stitched to keep it coming apart.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:45 pm

Using rope that thick you can just tie knots in it.

Return to “Gear Builders”