Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Grinding hook off spreader bar and replacing with soft ropeconnection. Anyone done this?

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz
Brand Affiliation: None

Grinding hook off spreader bar and replacing with soft ropeconnection. Anyone done this?

Postby tkaraszewski » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:18 am

I think I've seen this idea before. Has anyone done it or seen it done? Have a link? I'm looking for ideas for the best way to modify a steel spreader bar to have no hook. Thanks!

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Re: Grinding hook off spreader bar and replacing with soft ropeconnection. Anyone done this?

Postby slowboat » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:25 am

I have done it several times. I just took it to a metal works shop and asked them to cut it off.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Grinding hook off spreader bar and replacing with soft ropeconnection. Anyone done this?

Postby tomtom » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:25 am

I made it many times

use common sense - for execution every harness is slightly different.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:26 am

same answer same time, half world across :)

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tkaraszewski » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:30 am

Anyone have a picture of what that put on the spreader bar to replace the hook? I can cut the hook off easy enough, but I'm looking for the best ideas for the rope to replace it. :)

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:34 am

Yeah just use a hacksaw to cut it off as close to flush as possible (if stubs are left use grinder to remove those) and then sand smooth whats left with power sander or hand sand it with a block. No problem, 10 min job
Edt:
Ah. I see your last post, depends what exactly youre going for .. Rope slider? Tied to each end of spreader where straps go through, topside, so it doesn’t twist spreader bar up at all under load. Or drill hole near each end and poke rope through and tie knot behind. Just make sure those holes are chamfered buttery soft around the edges on both sides.
Last edited by Greenturtle on Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:46 am

At least post your harness picture or model. There is no universal solution - you must improvise according to possibilities of your harness.
/slide rope execution/

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tkaraszewski » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:02 am

The bar is a recent Dakine bar, see here:

And with the cover on:

I'd love to be able to mount a rope that came out the stock holes in the cover (where the hook currently comes through), in a similar configuration to the smaller central loop on the mystic stealth bar: https://www.mysticboarding.com/products ... bar#000000

My idea so far is to make or splice a loop like this one and then hook it around the bar in a lark's head. But I'd love to figure out how to keep it spaced correctly to fit the factory holes. Maybe wrap the bar with something to use as a spacer.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:07 am

Grind off the hook but not the bar for the pull down strap ... larks head the loop under that?

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:27 pm

If you cut the hook off leaving stubs you could use the stubs as spacers for the hitches that attach the runner loop!

For the uninitiated, don't use a grinder near your sailing gear; the sparks are hot enough to cause pinholes in kites or embed in topcoats if you are not careful. Maybe hack saw and file if you can't isolate the job.........

Return to “Gear Builders”