Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Grinding hook off spreader bar and replacing with soft ropeconnection. Anyone done this?

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Grinding hook off spreader bar and replacing with soft ropeconnection. Anyone done this?

Postby Windigo1 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:08 pm

Yes I cut one of with an angle grinder and then filed it smooth. I put a rope with a snap shackle. I use that for winter kiting with skis it works great and the shackle is nice when it's cold no need to fiddle with the chicken loop with gloves.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Re: Grinding hook off spreader bar and replacing with soft ropeconnection. Anyone done this?

Postby Windigo1 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:14 pm

zwGwosR.jpg
Here's a picture

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:54 pm

There is a very comprehensive thread about this called "Chicken Loop Bye Bye"

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2385302

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:25 pm

tkaraszewski wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:02 am
The bar is a recent Dakine bar, see here:

And with the cover on:

I'd love to be able to mount a rope that came out the stock holes in the cover (where the hook currently comes through), in a similar configuration to the smaller central loop on the mystic stealth bar: https://www.mysticboarding.com/products ... bar#000000

My idea so far is to make or splice a loop like this one and then hook it around the bar in a lark's head. But I'd love to figure out how to keep it spaced correctly to fit the factory holes. Maybe wrap the bar with something to use as a spacer.
This is smallest spreader bar i ever seen :) But nevertheless

Sides as on photo.

Right side is easy - to attach - loop, knot what ever.
Left side is problematic because of huge releasing mechanism you wont get much of travel - but for me personally it isnt much of problem - i like short travel and HATE long - its just too wobly.
You also end with asymmetrical travel to the - more on right - this can or can not be problem depend on many things - if you are goofy or regular etc. - I will leave it like it is and deal with it later if at all.

Left side. Easiest option is drill hole as close as possible to release and use it as attachment point - either directly - or with some eye ended stainless steel hardware. If you dont like asymetrical travel - latter you can make same thing on other side symmetrically. Yes you weaken spreader bar - but not by much and for foiling you will be safe.
You can start just by cutting hook and making center fixed connection /BRM style/. You will have like 80% of rope slider feeling without hook leverage - but not quite.

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:02 pm

https://i.imgur.com/Gl4MRMB.jpg
Have a closer look at the left side. You can try to fiddle a smaler 2/ 3mm through the two clips/small hooks . Double loop it around the bar. Connect the slider line to the double loop.
I have the same bar , thats why i know of the two clips , they just hold the cover in place.There will be some friction at the clips bc of the sideways pull, keep that in mind, or find a solution to cover the clips ( tape?)
Do the right side as tomtom said.
The mod is without any drilling, so just remove the ropes if you dont like it and try the central tow point w/o the slider

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:57 pm

rynhardt wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:54 pm
There is a very comprehensive thread about this called "Chicken Loop Bye Bye"

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2385302
Thanks, I'll read this whole thing.

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tkaraszewski » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:58 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:07 am
Grind off the hook but not the bar for the pull down strap ... larks head the loop under that?
I might just do this because it's so straightforward. I'd rather not have the smaller bar protruding either, but this would still be a lot better and is really easy to do.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:43 am

tkaraszewski wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:58 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:07 am
Grind off the hook but not the bar for the pull down strap ... larks head the loop under that?
I might just do this because it's so straightforward. I'd rather not have the smaller bar protruding either, but this would still be a lot better and is really easy to do.
The bar would stop your loop sliding around (if I'm imagining what you want to do correctly -- loop around the spreader bar but poking through the bar...) and once you're riding, won't be an issue.

geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Avoid the Triton foil board, made by Newind!

B: [Firewire SP, Kanaha MM, Triton] F: [Lift, Triton, Axis] K: [Kitech, Gin]

Postby geokite » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:04 pm

I took the same spreader bar and cut off the hook, leaving the 'pull down strap' part. Prusik knot with three wraps on either side to attach a BRM style attachment. Multiple wraps on either side keeps it centered and no frictional wear from sliding. Couldn't be happier.
IMG_8045.JPG
Last edited by geokite on Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author geokite for the post:
tkaraszewski (Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:05 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tkaraszewski » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:05 pm

geokite wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:04 pm
I took the same spreader bar and cut off the hook, leaving the 'pull down strap' part. Prusik knot with three wraps on either side to attach a BRM style attachment. Multiple wraps on either side keeps it centered and no frictional wear from sliding. I can post a picture tonight. Couldn't be happier.
Awesome, would love to see your pic!

Edit: Googled this knot and it looks fairly straightforward, but still wouldn't mind seeing the pic. :)

Return to “Gear Builders”