Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

X-Profile Split - split system for low/no volume boards

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
BalsaMichel
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: FS Soul 2 8m + 10m, CAB Fusion DA foil, backyard built split-TTs, skimboards and foilboards

X-Profile Split - split system for low/no volume boards

Postby BalsaMichel » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:28 pm

Hey,

the X-profile split is something I´ve been working on for about two years now.

In the beginning there was the question how to built a split-system without milling a groove into the face-sides of the board what has always been a pain for me. After some attempts with asymmetric elements and grooves I decided to add a 3D printed profile element which contains grooves on both sides and called it X-profile (actually it´s more an H, but H-profile sounds a bit lame :D ). This gave me some benefits:

- only contour-milling from above
- All damageable laminate edges of the split are inside the profile and well protected
- possibility to correct split tolerances with the profile without grinding/cutting operations on the board itself, if the X-profile doesn´t fit I´m just gonna correct it in CAD and print a new one
- forces are induced directly into the top and bottom laminates because they directly touch the X-profile

However, in the beginning all prototypes broke into pieces. Mainly because of limited layer-adhesion 3D-printed plastic just isnt´t as stable as casted plastics for example. Printing the profiles in upright direction was much better. And after oversizing the profile out of the top side of the board it just worked. Because of very good layer-adhesion and toughness I´m using polyamide (Nylon) for this at the moment. As the pictures show I´m printing all the edge-elements with ABS but it will also work for example with casted and cotton reinforced epoxy-edges. And if you are able to work precisely with an outline jig it will work without CNC.

To keep this short: I´m using a small press with hydraulic car lifters, lamination process is quite easy: A printed split-dummy is mounted on a dibond-plate 800x500mm with nylon-screws and nuts (they don´t kill your CNC later if you go through them accidently). This is my lamination base. Look at the pictures.

Known issues:

- A too big step from the bottom to the inner face will lead to delamination because of shear forces, see last picture. I´m trying to fix this in the next board by changing the geometry of the cross section from rectangular to conical, this will lead to better stability anyway
- it´s always some extra work to get the whole thing watertight, otherwise there are some funny fountains on top
- As I´m only building one or two boards a year at the moment I was not willing to sacrify boards for breakload-testing. Only thing I can say is that I´m still alive and so it seems to be enough for a rider with 75kg and average kite-skills :roll:

So long, Greets
Micha
Attachments
2020-01-09 11.19.55.jpg
ZX2_split23.JPG
ZX2_split.JPG
2020-01-09 13.12.14.jpg
2020-01-07 21.04.52.jpg
2020-01-02 14.32.16.jpg
2020-01-02 13.29.42.jpg
2019-02-19 19.05.25.jpg
2019-02-07 17.27.38.jpg
These users thanked the author BalsaMichel for the post:
jumptheshark (Sun May 03, 2020 11:07 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: X-Profile Split -- split system for low/no volume boards

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:33 pm

How is this any different than the Nobile/Flysurfer split W system? I’m not a big fan of loose parts that can be lost. Imagine forgetting or losing one of those pieces on a big kite trip. Sure wouldn’t be able to find a replacement anywhere.

BalsaMichel
Medium Poster
Gear: FS Soul 2 8m + 10m, CAB Fusion DA foil, backyard built split-TTs, skimboards and foilboards

Postby BalsaMichel » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:48 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:33 pm
How is this any different than the Nobile/Flysurfer split W system? I’m not a big fan of loose parts that can be lost. Imagine forgetting or losing one of those pieces on a big kite trip. Sure wouldn’t be able to find a replacement anywhere.
The Flysurfer/Nobile system uses a milled groove in the front face of one side and a tongue in the other. Maybe the better solution for series boards but for me not easy to realize at home builts. The profile segments are not loose, I´m gluing them to one side of the board. Still searching for a solution for the locking-bolt which is loose at the moment what I don´t like as well.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:04 pm

Could possibly use an attachment line like the pins on the Flysplit. How smoothly does it work with sand? Only complaint about the splits, you need to keep cleaning them and lubing the pins. The Nobile is a little better in the regard, sometimes I need to basically hammer in the pin on my Flysplit. But after 8 years of hard abuse and use, it’s really not bad.

I can also see those connecting pucks wearing out which will eventually loosen the connection. I wonder how that will hold up in the long run. Either way, it’s very impressive home build that’s for sure!

BalsaMichel
Medium Poster

Postby BalsaMichel » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:20 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:04 pm
Could possibly use an attachment line like the pins on the Flysplit. How smoothly does it work with sand? Only complaint about the splits, you need to keep cleaning them and lubing the pins. The Nobile is a little better in the regard, sometimes I need to basically hammer in the pin on my Flysplit. But after 8 years of hard abuse and use, it’s really not bad.

I can also see those connecting pucks wearing out which will eventually loosen the connection. I wonder how that will hold up in the long run. Either way, it’s very impressive home build that’s for sure!
rubber attachment line could be a solution. I would like to keep it short because otherwise it could catch a toe for example. Could be very painfull especially on a skimboard. Sand in the split-system is always very bad and will kill the parts. I always clean the board before mounting. Afterwards it´s not a big deal, except the bolts. If they catch sand you will need some force to twist them. However the big skim has about 25 days at the beach, the twintip is quite new. So no long run experience up to now. Let´s see what happens

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Re: X-Profile Split - split system for low/no volume boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:22 pm

That looks nice. I'm assuming the twin tip has a good deal of rocker to make up for the stiffness in the join?

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:04 pm

I'm surprised that no one has commented how amazing this is for a do-it-yourself project. Fantastic engineering and craftsmanship Michel!

BalsaMichel
Medium Poster

Postby BalsaMichel » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:04 pm

Hey thanks!

The twintip has 3.8cm Rocker and a concave of about 7mm in the center section. Wanted to have a bit more rocker but I think I took it too early out of the press. Actually can´t heat it in the press :roll:

BalsaMichel
Medium Poster

Postby BalsaMichel » Sun May 03, 2020 11:00 am

This will be my next board. It´s a special built for a Cabrinha Hi:Rise Varial foil . As I´m not yet sure whether the split will be solid enough I´m building this as a strapless board for now. Front strap will be only there for optional start assist. Outline is 132x47cm, thickness 15mm in the back; tip milled down to 7mm starting in front of the split. Estimated weight will be somewhere at 2.9kg with carbon triax 300g/m2 and some reinforcements; so not super-light. Volume will be somewhere below 7 litres.
ZX2.JPG
2020-04-26 14.09.26.jpg
2020-05-03 11.31.56.jpg
BComp QX cores with ABS edges
2020-05-03 11.29.03.jpg
rocker table tip
These users thanked the author BalsaMichel for the post:
jumptheshark (Sun May 03, 2020 11:07 am)
Rating: 3.03%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun May 03, 2020 11:06 am

I'm with meri !

That is SUPER cool. I may never need one, but its still super duper nice work... from design to finish.

Mucho impressive.

Return to “Gear Builders”