3D printed bar inserts?

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
max
Very Frequent Poster

Re: 3D printed bar inserts?

Postby max » Tue May 05, 2020 9:56 pm

faklord wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:38 pm
I can print PLA, PETG, ABS. Have never tried nylon.
Happy to send you the stl.
Have sent you a PM
send me the stl and I will try printing it in ABS :D

faklord
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby faklord » Tue May 05, 2020 10:17 pm

max wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:56 pm
faklord wrote:
Have sent you a PM
send me the stl and I will try printing it in ABS :D
PM me an email address and I will.
But Note:
This it not a properly thought out design. It is only a part that I threw together to visualise a removable insert (without going through the bar ends)
A few notes on the part:
1) it is designed for a bar with 25mm od and 21mm id
2) the slot in the insert is 7mm wide
3) the height of the insert (and hence slot in the bar) is 9mm, so the top and bottom wall thicknesses of insert are only 1mm - not much meat for wear.
4) the screw holes are just plain 2.5mm holes. I would probably drop nut cavities in but it might be ok for self tappers?

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Wake, surf, freeride
Gear: Slingshot RPM 14/12/10 Fuels 13/9/7

Postby TheJoe » Tue May 05, 2020 10:23 pm

faklord wrote:
Have sent you a PM
I would not use PLA it is horrible at tooling and pretty brittle. PETG is my go to now easier to print than ABS but with all the benefits of ABS. PLA all so does not like heat so just being in a hot car might kill it.

Trent hink
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, soul, solo, hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made 10 years ago.

Postby Trent hink » Wed May 06, 2020 2:12 am

Can't you print the part, make a silicon mold, and cast it out of a resin/filler with the appropriate hardness?

Never mind.... I see now that downunder suggested this in the second post.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed May 06, 2020 2:18 am

"
I assume that is 10-20% graphite by weight?

"

Volume maybe...However, 20% is a bit much, this would need some studying.

I still think it should be glued. And nylon can't be glued. ABS hardly.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Wed May 06, 2020 4:06 pm

faklord wrote:
Have sent you a PM
Printing nylon is similar to PETG because it oozes. You need a heated bed 80-110C and an enclosure, preferably heated. My enclosure runs around 37-43C but I read 60-70C is much more beneficial in order to avoid shrinkage. The part will srink as the layers cool down while printing, so the warmer the better. Something as small as an insert wouldn't be too much of a problem to print but having it stick to the bed will be an issue with such a small area. I use lots of gluestick and a brim to get most prints to stick. The bevels and the small insert that slides into the bar will be the hardest areas to get right. They will either melt or shrink where it's no longer a perfect fit.

If I had to do a printed insert for a round bar I would do something like this in two pieces. You could even print it as one piece, just place the hole so it's up when printed. That way you get a perfectly smooth hole. This would be MUCH easier to print than your design; at least with nylon/polycarbonate. You could even add the lip at the top and insert it into the bar but one of the sides wouldn't be able to have the lip in order for two halves to fit.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 11.01.07 AM.png
These users thanked the author norcom for the post:
faklord (Wed May 06, 2020 4:27 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Wed May 06, 2020 5:00 pm

norcom, thanks for the input.

If I were to print the part I showed above I would probably print in this orientation:
insert vertical 9mm v1.png
As you point out this should make a cleaner slot/hole as no support material is required.
Also, the height and top part (that inserts into the bar) could be made slightly oversize and then hand finished once in the bar.

The intended use is in a rear line adjust bar, so I need some space to run lines through the bar. But I guess the type of shape that you suggest could be used with a channel incorporated along the bottom edge.
Untitled.png
However my main concern is how badly the part will wear. So was trying to make it replaceable without removing the bar ends?

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Wed May 06, 2020 5:53 pm

faklord wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:00 pm
However my main concern is how badly the part will wear. So was trying to make it replaceable without removing the bar ends?
I'm just guessing but with nylon I would think the rope will wear out faster than the insert. That is assuming that the part just wont break at some layer that didn't ahere properly. I'm running my finger on a nylon 3d part I did last week and feel that the little ridges on each layer will eat at the rope quite fast. They're tiny but compared to the bottom layer on the same part, which is glass smooth, the ridges feel rough.

The Best kite bars and some North/Duotone bars have replaceable plastic inserts. Perhaps 3d printing a housing for those or something that could hold a stainless steel beveled tube may be an option. The Best insert was two pieces, so replacing it required removing two screws and pulling it out.

Yes, the round idea doesn't work for fast/easy replacement. The good thing with 3d printing is that if you can make a part, it's easy and cheap to make 20 more. :D I would be more worried about the rope than the slider wearing out.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby norcom » Wed May 06, 2020 10:22 pm

So this is what I was thinking with a stainless steel beveled tube. These came up as a search for "stainless steel threaded tunnel". These are for body piercings and I'm not sure how tight you could get them. Perhaps using some loctite with them and build a 3d printed shell around them for support?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 5.18.19 PM.png

Return to “Gear Builders”