Switch Element 14m
Ozone catalyst 10m
Naish haze 144 x 45
SU2 Bigfoot 145 x45
Brand Affiliation: None

Ozone safety line stopper Ball

Postby fatkiter » Sat May 23, 2020 8:25 pm

Greetings to all,

I am changing lines for the first time on one of my Ozone bars. I didn't get an original replacement set but an aftermarket set of lines.

I was just going to put them on and I realized that the non original set uses a different stopper Ball on the safety line.

On the original Ozone line the stoper ball is fixed in place by the line being thicker and also cannot travel further up because of a knot
20200523_204701.jpg
On the replacement set there is no difference in the thickness not the line and no knot to stop the ball.
It is using a small tube inside the ball and an alen bolt. But it can be easily moved up and down by hand without alot of force...
20200523_205210.jpg
Shall I be worried? Are there any significant forces on this stopper Ball or is is just to stop the bar from traveling up when flagging out?

Thanks allot!

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Ozone safety line stopper Ball

Postby edt » Sat May 23, 2020 10:26 pm

You don't need a stopper. Take it off if you are worried. All it does is keep the bar from going up to far when you flag out

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sat May 23, 2020 10:32 pm

The stopper is just there to reduce bar travel when flagging out. Not seen any knots in new ozone line sets advertised on line so the knots may have been added by a user. Knots in flying lines seem daft to me, not worth the loss in strength. Personally I don't like stopper balls and only ever use them on 5th lines, but I rarely flag out in the water and reride.

Imho you do not have anything to worry about.

PS I believe the change in line thickness in the ozone set is done by splicing in a tapered insert. Also, no need to overtighten your grub screw on the new set if you keep the stopper!

Regards Herman

fatkiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Ozone zephyr 17m
Switch Element 14m
Ozone catalyst 10m
Naish haze 144 x 45
SU2 Bigfoot 145 x45

Postby fatkiter » Sun May 24, 2020 7:19 am

Thanks for the reply guys

I thought the same that this stopper Ball it's not that crucial but I have two Ozone bars and both have the same thicker line (spliced) and knot to stop the ball moving up or down. The knot is not really visible because it's inside the ball but it's definitely there on both bars.

I was thinking if Ozone went to all the trouble of doing that maybe I was missing something...

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sun May 24, 2020 7:57 am

Thanks for the extra info regarding the knots, I must admit to being surprised. Presumably the insert increases the knot radii thus reducing strength loss as well as compensating for the loss with extra material. Always nice to have learnt something.

Return to “Gear Builders”