Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hot coat hints and tips

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
RichR2
Medium Poster
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:29 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Airush Ultra 10m, 8m
Airush Wave 6m
Solo 4,5m
Shinn K2 foil
125cm RR custom
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Hot coat hints and tips

Postby RichR2 » Thu May 28, 2020 4:19 pm

For years I've used SP115 resin for builds but it is a bit pricey so switched to easy composites EL2. It's fine for laminating but has been a PITA for hot coats. With SP115 I just brushed the board off and perfect finish every time, yet with EL2 it's as if I have a patches wax resist on the board. I've tried acetone, soap and water, never touching the board except with gloved hands, roughing up the surface with 60 grit, 100 grit, 240 grit, temp in workshop is 20C...whatever I do I still cant get a surface without fish eyes of varying sizes. Finishing boards is taking way longer and often requires an extra hot coat/sanding which I hate. Any ideas?

Trent hink
Frequent Poster
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:59 am
Local Beach: Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, soul, solo, hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made 10 years ago.
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: Hot coat hints and tips

Postby Trent hink » Thu May 28, 2020 11:34 pm

Hi, i have used some brands of epoxy that behave similarly. My advice is sand with 80 grit, use a big paint brush to dust it off and don't touch the surface without gloves after sanding/ dusting.

Some epoxies are super sensitive to surface contamination and wiping the surface with solvents will introduce contaminates. If you see a spot or two where fisheyes are developing as you are applying the hotcoat, you can wipe those spots with a clean paper towel and apply more epoxy with reasonably good results.
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post:
RalfsB (Fri May 29, 2020 8:58 am)
Rating: 6.67%

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3553
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:43 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 181 times

Re: Hot coat hints and tips

Postby TomW » Fri May 29, 2020 6:16 pm

RichR2 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:19 pm
For years I've used SP115 resin for builds but it is a bit pricey so switched to easy composites EL2. It's fine for laminating but has been a PITA for hot coats. With SP115 I just brushed the board off and perfect finish every time, yet with EL2 it's as if I have a patches wax resist on the board. I've tried acetone, soap and water, never touching the board except with gloved hands, roughing up the surface with 60 grit, 100 grit, 240 grit, temp in workshop is 20C...whatever I do I still cant get a surface without fish eyes of varying sizes. Finishing boards is taking way longer and often requires an extra hot coat/sanding which I hate. Any ideas?
Use easycomposites.co.uk xcr coating epoxy. No blush. I can de-gas it and pour/ brush on and it gives me nearly perfect finish.

RichR2
Medium Poster
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:29 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Airush Ultra 10m, 8m
Airush Wave 6m
Solo 4,5m
Shinn K2 foil
125cm RR custom
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Hot coat hints and tips

Postby RichR2 » Fri May 29, 2020 7:38 pm

I've just got some, so will give it a go on the next build. How do you de-gas it Tom?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3553
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:43 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 181 times

Re: Hot coat hints and tips

Postby TomW » Sun May 31, 2020 9:16 pm

RichR2 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 7:38 pm
I've just got some, so will give it a go on the next build. How do you de-gas it Tom?
I made a simple one using a thick plastic water jug. Upside down on a board, seal the edge with seal tape, air evac hole in from edge litte hole to that hole in from top. Google it.
Then I mix epoxy in a cup, put it in that chamber for 5 min pounder vacuum.

alpaia
Rare Poster
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue May 12, 2020 9:15 pm
Local Beach: monteynard
Favorite Beaches: kerhiilio almanarre leucate
Style: relaxed
Gear: naish kites diy boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Hot coat hints and tips

Postby alpaia » Sun May 31, 2020 9:53 pm

Thanks for the tip, so 5 min in vacuum is enough to have nearly no bubbles afterwards in the hot coat ?

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3471
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:15 am
Style: Professional Online Kitebored Commenter.
Gear: Flysurfer VMGs 8 10 12 13 15. Foilboard ( Masts 75 110 125 Wings 880 1100 1350) with Ronix Ones attached.
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 142 times

Re: Hot coat hints and tips

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:49 am

I have heard of glassers hot coating epoxy layups with polyester resin to make things a bit easier and getting a good bond.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3553
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:43 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 181 times

Re: Hot coat hints and tips

Postby TomW » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:43 pm

alpaia wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:53 pm
Thanks for the tip, so 5 min in vacuum is enough to have nearly no bubbles afterwards in the hot coat ?
It's more involved than that.

My entire process:
Clean shop, vacuum up everything. Preferably a day before.
I vacuum off the board last on that clean up day.
Don't turn on your vacuum cleaner the day you do the coat. Keep air still.
I put on vinyl gloves.
Wipe off board with tack rag, wipe off board with denatured alcohol ( dna). Use good lint-free paper toweling.
Tape rail. Wipe off with DNA, tack rag again.
Turn off heat in shop.
Mix and degas resin.
Pour on resin, using high quality brush, brush diagonally one way, then the other. Brush rails, brush longitudinally from center, finish with rails.
Get out of shop.
3 hrs later, remove tape from rail and turn on heat to 18c.

The principals are: dust free shop, no air movement, dropping temperature, no hand oils on board, tack rag removes dust stuck to board from static charge, no air bubbles in resin, don't over work brushing that can add bubbles.
These users thanked the author TomW for the post:
alpaia (Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:21 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

jaros
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 544
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:00 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Slovenia
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Hot coat hints and tips

Postby jaros » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:06 am

TomW wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:43 pm
It's more involved than that.

My entire process:
Clean shop, vacuum up everything. Preferably a day before.
I vacuum off the board last on that clean up day.
Don't turn on your vacuum cleaner the day you do the coat. Keep air still.
I put on vinyl gloves.
Wipe off board with tack rag, wipe off board with denatured alcohol ( dna). Use good lint-free paper toweling.
Tape rail. Wipe off with DNA, tack rag again.
Turn off heat in shop.
Mix and degas resin.
Pour on resin, using high quality brush, brush diagonally one way, then the other. Brush rails, brush longitudinally from center, finish with rails.
Get out of shop.
3 hrs later, remove tape from rail and turn on heat to 18c.

The principals are: dust free shop, no air movement, dropping temperature, no hand oils on board, tack rag removes dust stuck to board from static charge, no air bubbles in resin, don't over work brushing that can add bubbles.
Nice description!
Do you clean the brush for another use or do you use a new brush every time? Thanks!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3553
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:43 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 181 times

Re: Hot coat hints and tips

Postby TomW » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:25 pm

jaros wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:06 am
TomW wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:43 pm
It's more involved than that.

My entire process:
Clean shop, vacuum up everything. Preferably a day before.
I vacuum off the board last on that clean up day.
Don't turn on your vacuum cleaner the day you do the coat. Keep air still.
I put on vinyl gloves.
Wipe off board with tack rag, wipe off board with denatured alcohol ( dna). Use good lint-free paper toweling.
Tape rail. Wipe off with DNA, tack rag again.
Turn off heat in shop.
Mix and degas resin.
Pour on resin, using high quality brush, brush diagonally one way, then the other. Brush rails, brush longitudinally from center, finish with rails.
Get out of shop.
3 hrs later, remove tape from rail and turn on heat to 18c.

The principals are: dust free shop, no air movement, dropping temperature, no hand oils on board, tack rag removes dust stuck to board from static charge, no air bubbles in resin, don't over work brushing that can add bubbles.
Nice description!
Do you clean the brush for another use or do you use a new brush every time? Thanks!
New brush every time.


Return to “Gear Builders”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests