Surfr + burner phone = Poor Man's Woo

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Surfr + burner phone = Poor Man's Woo

Postby joriws » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:48 am

I tested woo3 on land & standing with 4.9m fishing pole + my height so optimum would be 7.1m. 10 "jumps" I did woo3 gave average 7.6m and highest 8.6m and lowest 6.3m. Not very accurate. Also there are woo3 sessions like 19m best jump and 2nd 13m and avg 7m, so very outlier type of "results" of sessions.

I am still waiting surfr mount to start cross testing and riding.
These users thanked the author joriws for the post:
Kamikuza (Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:48 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:37 pm

joriws wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:48 am
I tested woo3 on land & standing with 4.9m fishing pole + my height so optimum would be 7.1m. 10 "jumps" I did woo3 gave average 7.6m and highest 8.6m and lowest 6.3m. Not very accurate. Also there are woo3 sessions like 19m best jump and 2nd 13m and avg 7m, so very outlier type of "results" of sessions.

Sorry but tbh this doesnt sound like a "real" test, assuming you connected the WOO to the end of the fishing rod and lifting it up. The motions might be quite different when real kiteboarding. With that setup you should be able to test SURFR and PIQ too. Did you do anything like that?
These users thanked the author Kitemenn for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:25 pm)

joriws
Very Frequent Poster

Postby joriws » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:32 pm

No piq at hand and at the time surfr was not relesed.

Actually the motion is quite same, and device needs to align itself the rotating coordinates how fishing pole rotates like board above head. Accelerations you can mimic by lifting first faster.

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster

Postby Kitemenn » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:01 pm

joriws wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:32 pm
No piq at hand and at the time surfr was not relesed.

Actually the motion is quite same, and device needs to align itself the rotating coordinates how fishing pole rotates like board above head. Accelerations you can mimic by lifting first faster.
Surfr is out...that was the whole point of this post right :lol:

It's not on iPhone but sure you know someone. You don't need to have a waterproof case as you are just using a test scenario (no water involved).

On your WOO test did you tape it to the rod or with a line (which makes it rotate even more)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:51 pm

joriws wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:48 am

That's not how the algorithm works, certainly. Its using accelerometer to measure height along with other sensor data. This is the secret sauce. You cant measure height standing still.
These users thanked the author TomW for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:27 am)

dice
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Hadlow ID

Postby dice » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:43 am

joriws wrote:
I'm not a mathematician, but I'm pretty sure that the motion is not the same.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:29 am

dice wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:43 am
joriws wrote:
I'm not a mathematician, but I'm pretty sure that the motion is not the same.
Agree.
The Woo is reputed to use loss of board noise through water as the start point in a jump, not just G forces. It's reputed to fail to generate correct data kite foiling for this reason. So I would expect a simulation of much closer conditions to a board jump than fishing pole control to get any meaningful comparison. Gforces alone do not tell the whole story.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster

Postby joriws » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:07 pm

Woo was taped to rod right side up.

Did shaking at start and end for surface g-noise and did lifting with 5s hangtime, faster acceleration at first then less. You can do also tests by your hand, kneel down, shake for couple of seconds, rise up and kneel back down and you get about 200cm jumps based on your height of course.

You are talking about algorithm like you know it (woo's implementation I mean). Generally speaking, basic thing is imu sensor orientation against gravity, then sensing acceleration against gravity direction, then based on samples and time integrate acceleration for accumulated speed, then integrate again for position, and all the time estimating from gravity-axis acceleration the sensor rotation and what part is the kite lift acceleration.

Detecting freefall jump is easy because at time of surface contact lost your accelerometer displays 0g. With kite acceleration moves from -1g to positive g if that is up. Shooting/throwing sensor makes freefall immediately after g force (impulse) ends on your throwing release or "barrel". Accelerometer shows 0g all the freefall so from initial acceleration upward speed is integrated and then algorithm must subract g all the time, but what direction if there is like 0.1g, is that kite lift, true wind acceleration, wind resistance or sensor noise.

Fishing rod does the same as kite, shaking at ground for surface contact is -1g +- some shake g. Then lift up to get positive g etc. Never hopefully zero g etc..
These users thanked the author joriws for the post:
Kitemenn (Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:40 pm)

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster

Postby Kitemenn » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:40 pm

joriws wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:07 pm
Woo was taped to rod right side up.

Did shaking at start and end for surface g-noise and did lifting with 5s hangtime, faster acceleration at first then less. You can do also tests by your hand, kneel down, shake for couple of seconds, rise up and kneel back down and you get about 200cm jumps based on your height of course.

You are talking about algorithm like you know it (woo's implementation I mean). Generally speaking, basic thing is imu sensor orientation against gravity, then sensing acceleration against gravity direction, then based on samples and time integrate acceleration for accumulated speed, then integrate again for position, and all the time estimating from gravity-axis acceleration the sensor rotation and what part is the kite lift acceleration.

Detecting freefall jump is easy because at time of surface contact lost your accelerometer displays 0g. With kite acceleration moves from -1g to positive g if that is up. Shooting/throwing sensor makes freefall immediately after g force (impulse) ends on your throwing release or "barrel". Accelerometer shows 0g all the freefall so from initial acceleration upward speed is integrated and then algorithm must subract g all the time, but what direction if there is like 0.1g, is that kite lift, true wind acceleration, wind resistance or sensor noise.

Fishing rod does the same as kite, shaking at ground for surface contact is -1g +- some shake g. Then lift up to get positive g etc. Never hopefully zero g etc..
OK that is quite detailed :thumb: I understand the set up and think it should work more or less but why then not do the same for the SURFR app...you can get hold of a phone, tape it to the rod and replicate your test...shouldn't be a biggie. Then you can compare it to WOO.

windfreak74
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 70 kg
Local Beach: la trinchera
Favorite Beaches: maule region
Style: weird style!
Gear: switch helium3 7m 2018
Crazyfly 115 x 44 Chill 2021
nobile 2hd 134x42 2018
Manta foil 2015/2018
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby windfreak74 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:09 pm

im still waiting for my case but bought this case for phone its supposed to be for diving photos! is water proof and spray proof i tried it on my board with a small velcro fixture. works like a charm ! the good thing is that the touch screen works!works with wetsuit mode and board mode. bought it from aliexpress its queshark phone case.
Attachments
15995884170091811803679896705997.jpg

Return to “Gear Builders”