Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

making a shorter fuse?

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
merl
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Mixed, flysurfer peak, concept air pulsion, wave & firefly, various LEIs. Mostly HF these days.
Brand Affiliation: None

making a shorter fuse?

Postby merl » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:49 pm

This is a pic of the setup I am using (more or less)
Screenshot 2020-07-08 at 19.38.57.png
Screenshot 2020-07-08 at 19.38.57.png (128.16 KiB) Viewed 365 times
As you can see it is a 633 style front wing (pretty much identical. But the fuse is really long - like 80cm.

It rides great, no real complaints, but I am curious about seeing whether I can make it more maneuverable with a shorter fuse and/or smaller stab.

The connections on the fuse for mast, and wings are all flat, so it should be simple to make something short to try.

Any suggestions? I don't have many tools for working with metal. I have carbon and vacuum but I suspect making something with alu might be easiest. Or a simple small stab?
IMG_3214.jpg

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Re: making a shorter fuse?

Postby jaros » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:40 pm

Hi Merl,
I have the exact same setup and I find it very maneuverable and lively. Much more loose than a couple of Moses 633 wings with original stabs (dont know which ones) that I tried.
Anyway, you can shorten this fuselage if you have some basic metal working skills. Cut it of and make a new bed for a rear wing (which is not flat like bed for a front wing btw...), drill new holes and cut in the thread for two m6 screws. I have also made a completely new alu fuse in the past, from a square alu rod.
I would not bother though in this case, like I said, I am more than happy with the liveliness of this foil. Maybe try stabeless for even more loose feeling? :D
Greetings,
Jaros
These users thanked the author jaros for the post:
merl (Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:29 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

merl
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Mixed, flysurfer peak, concept air pulsion, wave & firefly, various LEIs. Mostly HF these days.

Postby merl » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:01 pm

Hi Jaros

That is great info. Since I only ever ride my own gear I worry that I might be missing out on something. Interesting to hear that it is looser than the original moses setup - I guess because the stab is a bit smaller

No I won't risk cutting up the fuse as an experiment. But maybe I should make a smaller stab...

fluidity
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Late model Switch kites element and nitros,
DIY CAD ultra-concave wave twintips 1500 and 130mm with my own fin designs. Easy upwind, awesome carving. Switch Nitro 10m V7, Naish 5.3m Wing. Now focussing on Wingsurfing to rise to a new challenge. Building my own foils from my CAD design and 3D prints, built a CNC machine last year and now cutting designs with CNC as well as 3D printing.

Postby fluidity » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:43 am

Hi Merl,
Have a look on sollercomposites website for information about sleeves in various materials and heat shrink to tidy the outsides.
Graham
These users thanked the author fluidity for the post:
merl (Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:22 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Return to “Gear Builders”