Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

making a shorter fuse?

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
merl
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Mixed, flysurfer peak, concept air pulsion, wave & firefly, various LEIs. Mostly HF these days.
Brand Affiliation: None

making a shorter fuse?

Postby merl » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:49 pm

This is a pic of the setup I am using (more or less)
Screenshot 2020-07-08 at 19.38.57.png
Screenshot 2020-07-08 at 19.38.57.png (128.16 KiB) Viewed 192 times
As you can see it is a 633 style front wing (pretty much identical. But the fuse is really long - like 80cm.

It rides great, no real complaints, but I am curious about seeing whether I can make it more maneuverable with a shorter fuse and/or smaller stab.

The connections on the fuse for mast, and wings are all flat, so it should be simple to make something short to try.

Any suggestions? I don't have many tools for working with metal. I have carbon and vacuum but I suspect making something with alu might be easiest. Or a simple small stab?
IMG_3214.jpg

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Re: making a shorter fuse?

Postby jaros » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:40 pm

Hi Merl,
I have the exact same setup and I find it very maneuverable and lively. Much more loose than a couple of Moses 633 wings with original stabs (dont know which ones) that I tried.
Anyway, you can shorten this fuselage if you have some basic metal working skills. Cut it of and make a new bed for a rear wing (which is not flat like bed for a front wing btw...), drill new holes and cut in the thread for two m6 screws. I have also made a completely new alu fuse in the past, from a square alu rod.
I would not bother though in this case, like I said, I am more than happy with the liveliness of this foil. Maybe try stabeless for even more loose feeling? :D
Greetings,
Jaros
These users thanked the author jaros for the post:
merl (Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:29 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

merl
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Mixed, flysurfer peak, concept air pulsion, wave & firefly, various LEIs. Mostly HF these days.

Postby merl » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:01 pm

Hi Jaros

That is great info. Since I only ever ride my own gear I worry that I might be missing out on something. Interesting to hear that it is looser than the original moses setup - I guess because the stab is a bit smaller

No I won't risk cutting up the fuse as an experiment. But maybe I should make a smaller stab...

fluidity
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Old Flexfoil 9, Switch Element V4 11m, Ocean Rodeo Prodigy 7m 2014, Nitro14m v6, Nitro9m v6 12mSwitch Legacy2
DIY CAD ultra-concave wave twintips 1500 and 130mm with my own fin designs. Easy upwind, awesome carving. Switch Nitro 10m V7, Naish 5.3m Wing. Building my own foils from my CAD design and 3D prints.

Postby fluidity » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:43 am

Hi Merl,
Have a look on sollercomposites website for information about sleeves in various materials and heat shrink to tidy the outsides.
Graham
These users thanked the author fluidity for the post:
merl (Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:22 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

Return to “Gear Builders”