Alaçatı
Gear: Slinghot rally airrush lithium
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Building my first twintip board

Postby Cynkel » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:12 pm

Hello guys
Im building my first twintip boards. I will use corecell as the core material. Do you know which size and model i should use?
Those are my options

Type/Size
(mm) M60 M80 M100 M130 M200
5 mm
10 mm
12 mm
15 mm
Thank you in advance!
Ceyhun

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Re: Building my first twintip board

Postby downunder » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:54 am

For your first I woul stick with wood. Or even plywood if no experience with glass/carbon.

The core is selected for rider weight, so....

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:26 pm

I agree with downunder. Make a wood core board. Most manufacturers make wood core for a reason. 1) Its robust for impact damage 2) ease of construction, 3) flexibility.

Foam core is good in an instance where you want stiffness and complex when you want flex in your design. A TT requires some flex. Rolling with wood core will give you that flex with less change of delamination failure.

As for thickness, measure up some your boards locally and get an idea of tip thickness to center section thickness. My board have 4.5mm thick tips and 8mm thick center section. I'm running carbon fibre reinforcement with bamboo core.

JakeFarley
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim

Postby JakeFarley » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:38 pm

Plywood boards are easy to build and can perform comparably to production boards if constructed properly. For a inexpensive board, get some birch plywood at the local lumber supply store that approximately has the rocker you want. Then use T-nuts for the pads/straps. I epoxy laminate layer of fiberglass cloth on the bottom (one or two 6 oz. depending on what stiffness I want. Made my own fins from the same plywood. See pics below.
P1010005.JPG
P1010004.JPG
K1.JPG

Trent hink
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, soul, solo, hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made 10 years ago.

Postby Trent hink » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:17 am

If you insist on using a corecell, it is a fine material for building kiteboards.

I would say use 12 or 15 mm for your first attempt.

I built a couple dozen boards using 9 mm corecell but they all had a 3mm bottom concave moulded in to make the boards stiffer and sweet.

If you don't use a good mould, and prefer to shape the bottom or leave it flat, you will want to have a core thicker than 9mm.

fluidity
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Old Flexfoil 9, Switch Element V4 11m, Ocean Rodeo Prodigy 7m 2014, Nitro14m v6, Nitro9m v6 12mSwitch Legacy2
DIY CAD ultra-concave wave twintips 1500 and 130mm with my own fin designs. Easy upwind, awesome carving. Switch Nitro 10m V7, Naish 5.3m Wing. Building my own foils from my CAD design and 3D prints.

Postby fluidity » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:39 am

I used 10mm thick Gurit M foam for mine. I think about 12% density.
And a 200mm wide unidirectional 600 gsm glass top and bottom down the middle over polyester print fabric with biaxial glass over that and then regular glass weave over that.
Mine came out pretty light but I was doing resin infusion.(under vacuum) The glass fibre gives some stretch which I wanted.

Return to “Gear Builders”