SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mentor Headlands
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Favorite Beaches: Kite Point in the Outer Banks
Gear: Slingshot Turbines, RPMs and SSTs.
Slingshot Misfit 132, Glide.
Home built hydrofoils.
Ozone R1's, 17M, 13M, 10M, 7M
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: DIY 3D printed foil

Postby SaulOhio » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:51 pm

I'm working on my first 3d printed stabilizer. My machine isn't big enough to do a full wing, and I'm even printing the stab in 6 parts. Just finished printing up the first section this morning. It seemed to take about 50% longer than the software predicted. PLA and its going to be covered in carbon. So far I've only made molds with my CNC machine and laid up carbon. Any tips on getting the carbon fiber to stay close on the leading edge while under vacuum? I want to wrap is close so the carbon cloth is continuous from the top to bottom sides.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:07 pm

I know this isn't what you're asking, but is there any particular reason you need the carbon to be continuous across the edge? There's no real structural benefit.
I'd do the top and bottom with the fabric flat in the moulds and then trim and sand the edges once the moulds are removed.
These users thanked the author rynhardt for the post:
nixmatters (Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:00 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:17 am

SaulOhio wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:51 pm
I'm working on my first 3d printed stabilizer. My machine isn't big enough to do a full wing, and I'm even printing the stab in 6 parts. Just finished printing up the first section this morning. It seemed to take about 50% longer than the software predicted. PLA and its going to be covered in carbon. So far I've only made molds with my CNC machine and laid up carbon. Any tips on getting the carbon fiber to stay close on the leading edge while under vacuum? I want to wrap is close so the carbon cloth is continuous from the top to bottom sides.
I worked the weave so that the fabric was tight around the front and then hand sewed the trailing edges together. Best to start from the centre and stitch out to the sides to keep it symmetrical. Some people use a light spray of of tacky placement glue. I would recommend preparing some stiff sheet and clamps to apply around the vacuum layers around the trailing edge to keep the unsupported excess tapered and in-line.

Alternatively you can use composite fabric sleeving, sollercomposites has a great range. Be sure to check the flat, minimum and maximum diameters though to match to your wings.
These users thanked the author fluidity for the post:
SaulOhio (Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:10 pm)

atomic-chomik
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The wild west
Style: Freeride/Surf
Gear: North Dice 8 and 10m
North Neo 12m
OR Prodigy 7m
OR Prodigy 9.5.
OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8

Postby atomic-chomik » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:43 am

Use electrical tape to lay carbon fibers down around complex curves or rounded areas.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.

Postby fluidity » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:57 am

atomic-chomik wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:43 am
Use electrical tape to lay carbon fibers down around complex curves or rounded areas.
I've tried industrial electrical tape in the past with bad results. Maybe the wider hobby rolls could work so long as the stickiness doesn't transfer(expecially under curing heat) to the piece you are working on.

I do use masking tape sometimes though. There is a sweet spot after the piece has partially cured but before it's fully cured where you can peel it off successfully and the stickiness stays on the masking tape. It's thin so the overlaps make only small ridges from the height difference as one wrap lies over the top of the next.

atomic-chomik
Frequent Poster
North Neo 12m
OR Prodigy 7m
OR Prodigy 9.5.
OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8

Postby atomic-chomik » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:59 am

Regarding the electrical tape, give it a twist so its the sticky side out - Critical piece there.

atomic-chomik
Frequent Poster
North Neo 12m
OR Prodigy 7m
OR Prodigy 9.5.
OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8

Postby atomic-chomik » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:01 am

Regarding the electrical tape, give it a twist so its the sticky side out - Critical piece there.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fluidity » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:59 am

Bit of an update.
I really liked how the 3D printed wings turned out but I needed so much wind to learn how to use it that I've done another one by CNC milling 6 laminations of plywood after tweaking x, y & z dimensions. That's finished now and it's a giant. Around 2600 sq CM and gets me up much more easily! I also started the open fuse thread which I ended up CNC milling in aluminium with currently a pultruded glassfibre skinny 12mm diameter section out to the tail. Jury is out on the stiffness. Mostly I just need to work new muscle-memory into my 54 year old body and carry on loosing weight! At lease it's easy to get on foil catching a wave now and I don't need a HUGE gust to get started off a wave. Fingers crossed for my learning to accelerate now I've made myself a better sized foil! :D
Attachments
20201031_103758.jpg
20201031_103747.jpg

kobajagrande
Rare Poster
Gear: wainman

Postby kobajagrande » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:08 am

Hi guys,
very new in this diy world, so of course I made a mistake while printing the front wing in 3d. As you can see on the picture it doesn`t have a desired shape, it is slightly bended on some parts, so my question ism if there is a way to fix it (fill it with putty and sand it to desired shape maybe) or something else I can do ? The model will be used as a mold as I don`t expect to just cover it with carbon cause it was printed in 4 pieces (the guy has a small 3d printer) and glued together, but since the screws are suppose to go straight through the middle, where the connecting part is, I doubt it will work.
Any other suggestion is welcomed, I am listening.
Thanks in advance
Attachments
wing2.jpeg
wing1.jpeg

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fluidity » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:31 am

kobajagrande wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:08 am
Hi guys,
very new in this diy world, so of course I made a mistake while printing the front wing in 3d. As you can see on the picture it doesn`t have a desired shape, it is slightly bended on some parts, so my question ism if there is a way to fix it (fill it with putty and sand it to desired shape maybe) or something else I can do ? The model will be used as a mold as I don`t expect to just cover it with carbon cause it was printed in 4 pieces (the guy has a small 3d printer) and glued together, but since the screws are suppose to go straight through the middle, where the connecting part is, I doubt it will work.
Any other suggestion is welcomed, I am listening.
Thanks in advance
I think it is a fast light print, more suited to a plane's wing.
I have a new wing I started printing in 4 pieces this morning. Super low aspect ratio, I'm printing it split into 4 pieces with a skirt around it all to maintain an even temperature and with 15% cubic infil to fill the inside with sealed pockets. 2 perimeters, 8 top and bottom layers. 3.5mm holes for bamboo joiners. The strength is mostly in the composite materials I will clad it with. I wouldn't print a wing with big hollows.
I suggest you lightly sand yours then place an epoxy layer of glass veil to strengthern it a bit. Then fair it with a waterproof filler, sand, cover with your composite fabrics to allow it to take your weight in the water and then sand, fill, sand, fill, sand, fill, polish.

With the obvious warping defects your wing has I wouldn't rate it's likely performance high enough to be worth taking a mould from. But fair it and try it anyway, DIY learning experiences are the best in my opinion.
These users thanked the author fluidity for the post:
kobajagrande (Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:53 am)

Return to “Gear Builders”