Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Wing profile info for backyard hydrofoil builders

Postby PrfctChaos » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:03 am

salvatoreone wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:11 am
I watched many videos about moulding and it seems relatively easy and with beautiful surface finish right off the mould but they all just make parts that are either simple panels or more complex parts that have two surfaces parallel to each other. I don't get how you make it for a wing which has asymmetrical top/bottom surface :/
I could have maybe taken some more photos to show it better, but perhaps the screenshots of the model below helps.

The top and bottom half of the mould is shown below. Top half in green, bottom half in blue. The trailing edge of the wing is used for the split line. When the two halves of the mould are fitted together, the void left on the inside is the exact shape of the wing.
Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Capture3.PNG
Then to find out the shape of the layers to cut out of the carbon fibre / fibre glass: In this case I wetted out about 1x1 m of carbon fibre at a time (each layer is about 0.2 mm thick) and I stacked them 3 layers thick before cutting, so 0.6 mm thickness in total. So To find out what shape to cut these into, to stack in the mould, I just chop the model of the wing into 0.6 mm thick layers. See screenshot below.
Capture4.PNG
I place these 0.6 mm shapes onto a A1 drawing sheet and get it printed at a officeworks. (See a copy of the drawing below). So after I wet out the 0.6 mm carbon fibre / firbeglass, I put one of these drawing sheets down on it, and then cut out the shape. That cutout shape then just gets placed in the mould (Remember to make sure the mould is smoothly sanded and give it a good 10 applications of mould release wax to make life easy). So 14 of these shapes get placed in the top mould and 6 shapes in the bottom mould. (I Place the largest shapes on the outside and smaller and smaller on the inside, that way you see a full continuous layer of carbon fibre / fibreglass on the top and bottom when you open the mould). The mould then gets closed and bolted and clamped very tightly, squeezing out any extra epoxy. I also make up a thickish mixture of epoxy and microballoons and place it in the middle of the wing, to make sure all the space is filled and excess is squashed out, that is the white stuff seen around the wing in the below photo, the extra mix that was squeezed out.
Personal - Kite foil freeride 900 x 750 - MASTER.pdf
(120.19 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Trim/sand the extra off around the wing. Give the wing a good light sanding to make sure it is all smooth. Wait a few days (5 days recommended for the epoxy to reach good strength) and go kiting!!
Capture5.PNG
These users thanked the author PrfctChaos for the post (total 2):
salvatoreone (Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:11 am) • fluidity (Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:46 am)
Rating: 6.06%

salvatoreone
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sandgate QLD
Gear: twintip/hydrofoil

Postby salvatoreone » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:15 am

Wow! Thanks for the whole guide, I get it now. I was wondering how you estimate the right amount of layers to put in the mould but now it makes perfect sense. Just two things
1. You first wet out the carbon fibre then put.it in the mould? Any reason why you don't cut it first and then wet out in the mould?
2. If I understand correctly you place the layers in an opposite order than what it is in reality? So the largest (middle x-section taken from the model) goes first in the mould and then smaller pieces on top of these? That's smart!

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster

Postby PrfctChaos » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:29 am

Yea, no worries. Glad it helps a bit.

If you cut the dry laminate, then it starts unraveling and coming apart very quickly, so gets difficult to handle. The wetted out laminate stays together much better and easier to handle.

Also, if you try wetting it out out after cutting you will struggle with all the loose fibres sticking to the brush and getting pulled all over the place. I don't think that will be a easy job.

Just wetting out on some plastic sheet. Putting the paper patern on it and cutting it out is really very straightfoward
These users thanked the author PrfctChaos for the post:
salvatoreone (Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:20 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster

Postby PrfctChaos » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:40 am

Also forgot to add, if I were ro make a thicker wing, I would likely replace a couple of those inside layers with compressible foam (1or 2 mm maybe) to take up some space instead of solid carbon fibre or fibreglass.
These users thanked the author PrfctChaos for the post:
salvatoreone (Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:20 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

BartSt
Rare Poster
Gear: Building my own Kite Foiling set (board and kite)
Been thanked: 0

Postby BartSt » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:42 pm

BartSt wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:06 am
fluidity wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:19 am
BartSt wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:35 pm
Hi,
Have you guys seen this "flavour" - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4657218
I'm 3d printing this with UV Resin Elegoo Mars 3d printer in 38 (!) pieces.
Final 6 pieces are on the printer now. Will send pict tomorrow.
Looks as a workable wing for starters
Bart
Looks good but that sounds painful on a resin printer! No wonder so many pieces...
I just CNC'ed a 600mm x 120mm x 11mm stabiliser. Used a half inch semi round router bit for speed and it only took around 50 minutes last night to do the top and another 50 to do the bottom this morning. My first 3D printer wings I split in 4 pieces each.

As promised some picts. Now I only have to glue them together, wrap some carbon around, and I have my wing!

Pls have a look once they are wrapped in glass. Keep you posted
Attachments
287C9C1F-8021-4020-A5DB-6E43287AC3AC.jpg

salvatoreone
Rare Poster

Postby salvatoreone » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:57 am

That looks like a lot of printing! I can only guess that gluing it all together was a pain but turned out nicely. How is fibre glass sticking to the resin print?

salvatoreone
Rare Poster

Postby salvatoreone » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:50 am

I just made a small replica of my other wing using the PrfctChaos' method and I AM SHOCKED with the result. This must be the easiest way of making the wings. Cutting the profiles was a bit of a pain, took me about 2 hours altogether but it's nothing compared with the amount of work and precision needed to laminate the printed core. I will definitely try to make a new carbon wing now :D I just need to decide what kind of wing I want to make!

Below some pics how it turned out, I couldn't be bothered cleaning it up after demoulding but the result is still amazing. As PrfctChaos mentioned, adding the piece of foam in the middle helps heaps with pushing out the air from the piece while it cures. And a bonus is that it seems like the mould is perfectly fine to be reused :D

Image Image Image Image Image

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster

Postby PrfctChaos » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:00 am

Nice result! I know what you mean by it being shocking, pulling the wing out of the mould and going this is basically as good as finished.

robke
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Stavasanden
Gear: Ozone Edge, Enduro, Catalyst, selfmade boards and foils

Postby robke » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:24 pm

Looks good PrfctChaos :) I have little motivation at the moment since it's cold, get's dark early, and 15cm ice on the fjord by house.
Thanks for the input on the stabs, looks like I'll give the symmetrical profile a go with the next stab

andremi
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Naish Pivot
Best Nemesis HP
Been thanked: 0

Postby andremi » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:27 pm

Hi,
I am following this thread with a great interests. Lots of great info, thank you! I just got into foiling myself (on slingshot hover glide nf2) and thinking that at some point I might end up printing a different foil that would fit into slingshot fuselage.

Did anyone consider 3d printing a foil with polycarbonate instead of PLA/PETG? This would no longer require laminating with carbon sheets. If you google for “Introducing Javelin’s 3D Printed Hydrofoil Project” you will find a report from 2017 where someone printed a polycarbonate foil, but I haven’t seen results of their tests.

Return to “Gear Builders”