Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Diy wetsuit dryer

Postby ieism » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:11 pm

Im thinking about designing a wetsuit dryer that is cheaper but works as good as a commercial one.

My plan is to use standard size pc fan, you can get these 12v for the car or usb for at home in pretty high flow without much noise.

The main body will be 3d printed, and made available for free of course. The sides/hanger will be made with two plastic bottles that screw into the main body. You simply punch some holes in the bottle where you need airflow for the arms and shoulders. The bottles screw off to keep the size down. The rest of the air points down to dry the body and legs.

Can someone post a picture of a smallish common plastic bottle that is sold worldwide. Like a gatorate or coke bottle. A closeup of the cap tread would help too. Im trying to find one brand bottle that is the same all over the world.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Diy wetsuit dryer

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:39 am

The 5v 50mm laptop cooling fans fit perfectly into the small form factor residential waste pipe if you didn't want to 3d print anything. You can then build a frame out of push fit.

The only downside is that the 5v fans aren't as powerful as the 12v ones (though I have only used mine with a 0.7A usb plug so might be better with a 2A plug) but I think they should be alright.

I ended up getting one of the underwater kinetics dryers (like this one without the fan and then putting my own fan into it as it was cheaper and stronger then printing the equivalent. The shoulders are really wide so I don't need to worry about the material stretching from being stored this way. If I was doing it again, I might pipe the air up the legs rather than down from where the hanger is as the wettest part is generally at the bottom of the legs

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Re: Diy wetsuit dryer

Postby bragnouff » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:16 pm

ieism wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:11 pm
Im thinking about designing a wetsuit dryer that is cheaper but works as good as a commercial one.

My plan is to use standard size pc fan, you can get these 12v for the car or usb for at home in pretty high flow without much noise.

The main body will be 3d printed, and made available for free of course. The sides/hanger will be made with two plastic bottles that screw into the main body. You simply punch some holes in the bottle where you need airflow for the arms and shoulders. The bottles screw off to keep the size down. The rest of the air points down to dry the body and legs.

Can someone post a picture of a smallish common plastic bottle that is sold worldwide. Like a gatorate or coke bottle. A closeup of the cap tread would help too. Im trying to find one brand bottle that is the same all over the world.
Cool project.
I'm using wetsuit hangers made out of 2 600ml coke bottles, and a bottle coupler (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:897760) and a piece of string. Works also with 750ml/1l water bottles. I think the cap size is pretty much standard.
I use that because it's wide enough that it doesn't crease the wetsuit at the shoulders level, and it keeps it open enough to have a bit of air. Same as a wide coat hanger really, except I tend to lose or break those, or not take them when I travel. However, once you punch holes in the bottles, you risk the bottles collapsing under the weight of the wet wetsuit. So you might want some beefier (environmentally nastier) bottles.

Return to “Gear Builders”