Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
wavy navy
Medium Poster
Style: foil/wave
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

Build an own stabilizer?

Postby wavy navy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:36 pm

Inspired by the thread " build your own foilwing from plywood" is it easy to build an own stab?

I just took a look in my moses 483 stab. Not easy because it's not flat. But it's only a stab - if you guys can do a frontwing, then I should be able to do a stab!

I want to build a much smaller stab, like half the size of the original. Something between a stab and stabless.

From plywood? Or from HPL (high pressure laminate)?

Because the stab is under much less pressure - can I skip the carbon-epoxy-vacuum part? Never did that, I'm not competent at that.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Re: Build an own stabilizer?

Postby grigorib » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:22 pm

I’d use 380 race stabilizer which would be close to what you’re looking for. Not self-made but cheap and easy

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:35 pm

You can easily make a solid carbon stab if it is going to be small. Find a mould, I used a upturned metal baking tray, cover with release agent or cling wrap.
Start laying carbon, wide first, then getting narrower as you build up thickness so you get a slight aerofoil. Allow to cure then remove and lay up the other side same way. Now give it a coat of filler, micro balloons or similar and start sanding, wear a mask.
Here are a couple I did to fit my Levitaz, very stiff.
Attachments
F0C3A60C-A894-499C-84D2-0276CE4A7BED.jpeg

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:30 am

The smaller the stab, the less important its stiffness. However, for longevity and water resistance it's better be laminated. For flat wing it is quite easy to laminate it without vacuum bagging. The idea is to clamp the stab between the two plates, and squeeze the excess resin to the wing boundary. So, take or make the two flat rigid plates with the size just enough to cover your future wing. Then, glue layer of soft padding over each plate, and, finally, plastic film over the soft padding. Plastic film is there for the resin not to bond with the padding.

Cut the stab from one sheet of plywood and carve, shave, sand it to approximate shape. Or you can buy a ready wood blank from clearwater hydrofoils. Then, wrap the wing with couple of wet fiberglass cloth sheets, cover it with the padded plates on each side, and clamp the assembly.

kollac
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Upstate NY
Favorite Beaches: I've only got one :)
Style: freeride
Gear: A couple of hand-me-down twin tips

Postby kollac » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:58 pm

There's an older gentleman on Youtube (Rob Rock Windsurf or something) who has videos on building foils for a windsurfer without vacuum bagging. He builds super simple plywood jigs ("molds") and clamps the laminate between some poly and the ply jigs. You're right - a stab would be easy to build.

I actually laminated 2 simple wood cores I got from Clearwater Hydrofoils but could easily just build a blank if I wanted a smaller size. Or go with what other suggested - no core, just glass/carbon and resin.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:17 pm

I built several stabilizers with plywood covered in fiberglass on both sides. No vacuum bag. I used them on several different foils. They work great almost indestructible. The design is loosely based on my Shinn ST1 stabilizer but oversized with a swept back profile. I find that works better in the summer with weeds since we get a lot of weeds where I ride. The top is flat and for the bottom I shape the curve on a bench type belt sander glass on both side. You have to fill the screw holes with epoxy and re-drill.
These users thanked the author Windigo1 for the post:
wavy navy (Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:52 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

wavy navy
Medium Poster

Postby wavy navy » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:54 pm

I will try windigos approach. The other ones seem to be too complicated for a small stab firstie...

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:41 am

My suggestion is to make a basic press, press a couple of layers of plywood into a radius. Then get out the angle grinder with flapper wheel/40 grip sanding disc and go hard making a wing shape.

Then glass or carbon over top. Job done.

PS make sure you use a hydrofoil friendly NACA wing profile and you will be all good.

Check out my hydrofoil build thread. That will give you and idea. Vac bagging isnt required. Its a nice to have as you end up with a better resin ratio. A reasonable hand layup will work. Hell you can probably get away with no glass/carbon with a wood core build.

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=2394150&hilit=plu ... rhead+foil

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:29 am

Yup, agree with the k I s s posts above.

Easiest is a pice of g10...sand it to shape, drill holes, done. But material is fairly expensive.

Plywood easy and cheap. If you want ome curve or winglets you can glue on some chunks to ends to carve. Or can use some pour foam. Some people say just a couple laywra of cloth but go a couple extra, doesn't cost much and will increase longevity.

wavy navy
Medium Poster

Postby wavy navy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:39 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:29 am
Yup, agree with the k I s s posts above.

Easiest is a pice of g10...sand it to shape, drill holes, done. But material is fairly expensive.
Fairly cheap for a small stab I think. Esspecially because I don't need no laminating if I understood it right.

Return to “Gear Builders”