Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: making a safety line with a bungee inside - ideas

Postby edt » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:11 pm

ok I understand it now. It was misleading in the video because in real life your center lines will straighten out.

One thing you have to do. Make a guide for your bungee. If your bungee is able to flap around eventually it will get caught in the jaws of your cleat. The worst time for it to do this is of course when you pull the QR, it can flap around and get stuck inside the clean then the QR will fail. I usually attach an extra O-ring to the cleat on the back side if my safety line is extra thick like yours is.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Faxie » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:04 pm

edt wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:11 pm
ok I understand it now. It was misleading in the video because in real life your center lines will straighten out.

One thing you have to do. Make a guide for your bungee. If your bungee is able to flap around eventually it will get caught in the jaws of your cleat. The worst time for it to do this is of course when you pull the QR, it can flap around and get stuck inside the clean then the QR will fail. I usually attach an extra O-ring to the cleat on the back side if my safety line is extra thick like yours is.
There's an O-ring on the cleat also ;)

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:27 pm

Ok, so I did some more testing at home, and there are a few things to watch out for:

First, it's better to use a bridle slider instead of a ring because it's wider. A ring might get a bit stuck at the bracket after a safety reset because of the line stiffness and the bungee doesn't have enough power to pull the ring past the bracket. Will depend on the type of bracket though, an Ozone type will probably give less issues than a Slingshot/Reedin type (those have the stopper portion deeper inside the bracket, and the sides of the hole are a bit sharp).

Second, when activating the safety the bungee+ring must be able to stretch to just below the bracket, otherwise it will probably get torn because of the leftover power on the other flying line. Another option is to have the bungee inside a dyneema line, so that line will absorb the shock. The flagout will work a bit like the Core system that way, with a 1:2 shift in the powerlines for as long the ring is not at the bracket yet.

So tommorow there's gonna be some wind over here, so I should be able to do a real life test.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Faxie » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:34 pm

Update: The bungee snapped today at the connection with the powerline, 36 sessions on it. Good news though, is that it seemed to work really well, even in light winds. Safety works fine too. So for now I'll tie a new one, can be done in a minute.

Return to “Gear Builders”