Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

making a safety line with a bungee inside - ideas

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
jaros
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

making a safety line with a bungee inside - ideas

Postby jaros » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:10 am

I am planning to build a few safety lines for my bars with bungee inside the brided dyneema. The Dyneema will be spliced on both sides, everything must be straight without knots, so it will move smoothly trough bar hole. Is there a way to fix the bungee on both sides without stiching? All ideas are welcome!
Please share how you did it, if you have ever done something like that.
Thank you!

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Re: making a safety line with a bungee inside - ideas

Postby merl » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:11 am

I can only think of one way without stitching, and that will only work with very thin elastic: you thread the elastic through (keeping both ends exposed). Tie loops in both ends. Since you can pull the elastic really tight the knots can be very small. This has to be done so that the elastic is sufficiently short of course. Now hook the exposed loops over the ends of the dyneema, and bury the knots.

The closest I have come to this method is to use a doubled up bit of thin elastic where I did the loop trick (without tying a knot) on one end. But I sewed the other end, which is preferred imo as it is much easier to get the tension that you want.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:36 am

I do mine by inserting the bungee into the dyneema splice tails and stitching before the tails are buried. You could use a zacher instead of stitching but it would be slightly more bulky. Obviously you feed the bungee into the core and out at the point you intend to insert the splice tail. Have to bunch the dyneema up so you can do second end. Once dyneema is bunched up you can cut bungee to length and insert into tail of second splice. Easier to do then explain. I also put a few stitches in to hold the bury in place as the outer is being contracted when not under tension.
Last edited by Herman on Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:04 am, edited 5 times in total.
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
BenS (Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:13 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

peppedurso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Sicily / Cape Town
Style: Wave Riding and Freestyle Strapless
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters
Appletree Malus Domestica 4'11 / Luke's Leaf 4'9 / Appleflap noseless 5'1
Brand Affiliation: Appletree/Cabrinha

Postby peppedurso » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:52 am

merl wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:11 am
I can only think of one way without stitching, and that will only work with very thin elastic: you thread the elastic through (keeping both ends exposed). Tie loops in both ends. Since you can pull the elastic really tight the knots can be very small. This has to be done so that the elastic is sufficiently short of course. Now hook the exposed loops over the ends of the dyneema, and bury the knots.

The closest I have come to this method is to use a doubled up bit of thin elastic where I did the loop trick (without tying a knot) on one end. But I sewed the other end, which is preferred imo as it is much easier to get the tension that you want.
Hi,

Do you have any picture?

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:22 pm

I don't understand what you are trying to do?
If you run a rope along the inside of a woven sheath and then put a load on the outer sheath, the sheath will lengthen and reduce it's diameter locking the line inside and prevent it from sliding inside the sheath.

I used to buy a Slingshot bungee which had a loop at each end, and splice 2.5mm line through the loop on the bungee.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2380826&p=797312&hi ... gh#p797312
redlineflagone.jpg

merl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby merl » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:22 pm

ronnie wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:22 pm
I don't understand what you are trying to do?
The OP, as I understood it, is trying to make a dyneema bungee for a safety line: a dyneema rope, with spliced loops at each end, and with an elastic inside to take up any slack. The only odd thing about the question is that he wants to do it without sewing, but it still has to go cleanly through the bar hole. Your solution ("buy one") avoids sewing, but might not be what he was looking for. (It is still a useful answer as it shows that you can reuse a shorter bungee on a longer depower bar by extending it.)

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jaros » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:22 pm

The OP, as I understood it, is trying to make a dyneema bungee for a safety line: a dyneema rope, with spliced loops at each end, and with an elastic inside to take up any slack.
:thumb: That is what I am looking for, yes!
It seems I will have to sew the bungee in, like the normal way of doing it. I asked, if there is some way of doing it without sawing, that I did not know about. It would be great if you could change the bungee in time, without taking the saws apart...

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:03 pm

I have done this but I stitch both ends of the elastic to the Amsteel rope. This is how commercial kite bars are done also. You could do a knot with the main rope and with the elastic inside but it would be bulky and reduce the strength. What's wrong with stitching it takes 2 minutes to do it by hand.

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jaros » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:16 pm

Windigo1 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:03 pm
I have done this but I stitch both ends of the elastic to the Amsteel rope. This is how commercial kite bars are done also. You could do a knot with the main rope and with the elastic inside but it would be bulky and reduce the strength. What's wrong with stitching it takes 2 minutes to do it by hand.
What would be the right way of stitching the bungee to Amsteel rope? Any photos or instructions? Thanks!

merl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby merl » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:06 pm

Ok here is a sewing free version. I am not saying you should do it this way but it is an idea.

Thin elastic needed
20201015_145131.jpg
Tie a water knot in the elastic and pull really tight
20201015_145224.jpg
Put the loop of elastic over the line and thread it through. Loop it over the line at the other end too.
20201015_145348.jpg
20201015_145444.jpg
Stretched you can see the knot
20201015_145552.jpg
I can add that I have used this idea on one end of the bungee, without any knot, and I sew the other end. I liked Herman's idea of sewing to the end of the line before splicing. That combination would be very neat I think.

Return to “Gear Builders”