Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

making a safety line with a bungee inside - ideas

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: making a safety line with a bungee inside - ideas

Postby Faxie » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:53 pm

I have my safetyline inside PU also, and with a low split, you can't have a bungee in the safetyline itself. I came up with this solution: The safetyline runs through a steel ring that's connected with a bungee to the opposite powerline. When you deploy the safety, the powerline/stopperknot will just get pulled through the steel ring.

Sorry for the crappy quality, didn't realise I was filming at lower quality.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:07 am

It's pretty neat. I hope you don't die. I mean I can't really see how much could get messed up and jam, but Ive also seen flailing bits of rope do weird shit.

If your still around when my current bungie lines crap out, I might rig one.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:22 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:07 am
It's pretty neat. I hope you don't die. I mean I can't really see how much could get messed up and jam, but Ive also seen flailing bits of rope do weird shit.

If your still around when my current bungie lines crap out, I might rig one.
Lol, don't worry, I ride fully powered most of the time, so the trim won't flail. Couldn't be bothered to use a magnet or velcro, those suck anyway, so I chose to use a lightweight handle solution.

It's a custom bar, but basically the standard Ozone system. Safetybracket is from Ventum, same as Reedin/Slingshot/Lacuna etc. I trust my bar more than any factory bar.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:32 am

Very neat looking rig! I would be interested to know how you connected the steel ring to the opposite flying line?

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Faxie » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:07 pm

Herman wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:32 am
Very neat looking rig! I would be interested to know how you connected the steel ring to the opposite flying line?
I kept it simple for now, so I've put a bungee through the ring and tied it with a simple knot. Then I pulled the loop from the bungee through the weave of the powerline and over the powerline itself (like the stitchless bungeecord earlier in the thread) I don't see a need to splice an extra little line in the powerline to connect a dyneema bungee to, but maybe I'll do that in the future.
These users thanked the author Faxie for the post:
Herman (Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:27 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:51 pm

It is pretty neat. Could you image the bungee part to give an idea of the length of the whole thing?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:47 pm

I don't understand how it works. Which line is attached to the steel o ring on the kite end. It can't be a center line because then the kite won't fly right. Can you explain please?

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Faxie » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:13 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:51 pm
It is pretty neat. Could you image the bungee part to give an idea of the length of the whole thing?
I'm at work, but I'll make a picture tonight.

The length depends on your trim distance, because the bungee has to stretch half the trim distance. (safetyline will be 1:2 relative to your trim)

So the length should be so much as to not overstretch the bungee, but also has to create enough tension to pull the weight of the safetyline.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Faxie » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:15 pm

edt wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:47 pm
I don't understand how it works. Which line is attached to the steel o ring on the kite end. It can't be a center line because then the kite won't fly right. Can you explain please?
It's a center line, the tension is not that high that it creates problems. Pull of the kite will be tenfold.

The CF bar has a long bungee directly on the powerline, no problems there also.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Faxie » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:45 pm

Ok so this is how the bungee's attached to the line. Pretty thin so shouldn't affect the line whatsoever. The weave is opened up more with a regular splice:

Bungee is 25 cm at the moment, but I'm gonna shorten it a bit to 15-20 cm because it can use a tiny bit more tension because of the weight of the leash pulling at the safetyline (I'm gonna use a suicide ring from Duotone so the weight of the leash will become irrelevant) It all really depends on the strength of the bungee you'll use and the trim distance of your bar.

Lower line is the fixed powerline, where the bungee's attached to. Upper line is the powerline where the safety attaches to. The little black line at the top is just a piece of bungee I haven't cut yet, and the extra line at the ring is a shadow, lol. Bit hard to see maybe...

Still a test setup btw, but as far as I can tell, it works well.
These users thanked the author Faxie for the post:
Herman (Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:15 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Gear Builders”