Switch Element 14m
Ozone catalyst 10m
Naish haze 144 x 45
SU2 Bigfoot 145 x45
Brand Affiliation: None

Harness Modification

Postby fatkiter » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:41 pm

Hi,

I am playing with an idea in my head and would like some opinion before i go and destroy 2 harnesses...

I have a problem with my back (slipped discs , spine dislocations etc etc) and I kite with a seat harness. At the moment using a very inexpensive Mystic Aviator. I never have any pain on my back even after long sessions.

I wanted to give a try to boardshorts harness and bought a pair of ION B2. I like the way they fit and they are in general comfortable to kite with but my back is complaining...

I think the main reason is that because they are "low cut" around the waist they don't offer the same protection as the Aviator

I was thinking to combine the 2 harnesses and create a Hybrid :)

Cut the ark of the seat harness (old daikine that i don't use) and attach it to the Shorts.

My main question is if the newly attached part will take part of the load as if its was intended to be there or if it will do nothing in terms of extra support...

Any thoughts?
Attachments
harness.jpg

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Re: Harness Modification

Postby JakeFarley » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:49 pm

Have the same problem with my Nitrous shorts harness. I use a One Back back support under my harness around the waist and it helps me. It has a padded "shell" insert for the back and a smaller one in the front. Not sure what it costs as it was given to me. Hopefully the pics below will give you an idea of what it looks like and you may not have to cut up your harness.
20201127_164059.jpg
20201127_164130.jpg

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:42 am

No idea whether your proposal would work for you but I suggest you try to borrow a waist harness and couple that with the B2 shorts before you cut up a seat harness that works for you. You might like it unless you cannot cope with it being over the injury site!

I have B2 shorts and waist harnesses. My most supportive combo is waist plus climbing harness but if I did not have climbing harnesses I would be using the shorts in their place with a waist harness. I don’t think the shorts would need any permanent alteration to do this. As you know harnessing is very personal..............

PabloQ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Quilmes Buenos Aires
Favorite Beaches: Cauipe, Cumbuco, Cofeco
Style: AirStyle Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, Psycho4, Ocean Rodeo Razor Rise, Naish Park, Vari Condor 2, Slingshot Turbo 3

Postby PabloQ » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:47 pm

Stop experimenting, the mystic aviator is fine and needs no modifications, it has good lumbar support and double safety measures on the strap.
If it works well and your back is not complaining, what you need is not a modification, it is just more wind and less free time to experiment.

Kiter_from_Germany
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 110
Local Beach: Northern Sea, Netherlands
Style: intermediate Twin, Beginner Foil
Gear: Tubes: North Reach 8, 10, 12, 15m
Gear: Anton MTrain, china foil and others
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby Kiter_from_Germany » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:28 am

PabloQ wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:47 pm
Stop experimenting....
If it works well and your back is not complaining, what you need is not a modification, it is just more wind and less free time to experiment.
Great answer to that question: What does a Kiter without wind?
:cool2:

Return to “Gear Builders”