Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Building a super low aspect ratio high chord unifoil.

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Re: Building a super low aspect ratio high chord unifoil.

Postby fluidity » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:02 am

To successfully print my wing in the 4 pieces i eventually did each piece seperately. My black filament managed the two front parts before I had a series of unexplained filament snaps from the reel while unattended. So the rear parts are done in white. I fitted the bamboo skewer dowels this evening , assembled the 4 x parts and ran some superglue down the seams. There is some warping where the pieces sat on the build plate but it's non terminal, I'll fill with microballoons and epoxy later.
Attachments
20210108_225434.jpg
20210108_225415.jpg

mandiw
Rare Poster
Local Beach: lago di garda
Favorite Beaches: valdevaqeros, tarifa
Style: wave
Gear: Bull
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby mandiw » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:16 am

extremely innovative approach!
have you tried it again with a suitable board?
would you share the file of your mono wing?

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.

Postby fluidity » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:35 am

mandiw wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:16 am
extremely innovative approach!
have you tried it again with a suitable board?
would you share the file of your mono wing?
My design is here: https://pinshape.com/items/103609-3d-pr ... ng-unifoil

My CNC one has a thinner section, I've ridden it for one session in marginal conditions where I could barely get on foil, with a hand wing that is a bit on the small side for power for my weight. In the thinner section it's stall angle suffers but I expect at my design thickness in the 3D print it will perform much better Also my CNC program trimmed about 5mm off the front of my leading edge and I'm not convinced after re-forming it that my shape was that accurate any more.

Otherwise the foil is very playful, easy to control, the pitch stability is great, not as good at a wing with long fuselage and stabiliser but still very easy to control. Same with roll. Never felt unstable on it, just needed more wind! :lol: This is also me at 105kg going from a 2600 sqcm wing to a 1800sq cm wing. :-? Another hand wing to be ordered soon... The Naish S25 handwing has a shallow profile and is not the most rigid wing for pumping.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fluidity » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:51 am

On call for a week with lots of wind! :x
However on call is always a great time to catch up on projects.
I bought a 30m roll of 4 ounce surfboard glass fibre. Decided to go for thinner with easy wrapping.

2 layers on bottom side which is only under tension, and to hopefully protect the 3D from minor bottom impacts.

I used about 6 layers of 4 ounce inside the mast socket feathered to the sides with 4 layers of 4 ounce over the mast foot after I cut a slot and a few layers around the side and base of the mast foot.

As the resin started to thicken slightly I covered it off with peelply, infusion mesh and paper towels.I taped the peel ply back around under the slightly curved leading edges and vacuumed it. Very pleased with my leading edge!
The top has a smoothing layer of epoxy resin with copper powder blended in for a bit of reflectivity, the PLA black is a heat magnet.

Needs a bit more sanding and coating yet but I have 4 remaining evenings on call 8)

Meanwhile watching Americas cup and American magic totally loose it on the turn for the last leg :o
Attachments
StormWingUnder.jpg
StormWingTop.jpg
Imperfections.jpg

Return to “Gear Builders”