Yet another backline trim solution

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
br44
Frequent Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Yet another backline trim solution

Postby br44 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:36 am

I have tested a backline trim solution that I’ve been hesitating to build for a while, and found that it works well. Unlike the other approaches out there, this is bombproof, very simple, cheap, and easy to build: two splice cleats.

Initially I was pessimistic that this would work. Who in his right mind would want to have 2 separate trim adjustments? Well, after trying it, count me in.

Some notes;
- Two separate adjustments are not ideal, but are easy to make with the kite in the air, and also wearing gloves, in both directions.
- The extra complexity (harder to build, custom parts) and potential issues of the other backline trim solutions (such as hidden wear) are eliminated.
- The ends of the 3 mm Dyneema that I used can be tucked inside the bar for a cleaner look.
- The bar throw can be maximized as there is no clam or splice cleat to reach and adjust on the main rope. Thus the trim adjustments will be less frequent, and will be done for ergonomics rather than safety.
- Use a permanent marker if you want some marks on the rope to make it easier to trim to the same lengths. Or, don’t bother because:
- Any backline length differences can be corrected on the spot. With the kite flying at 12, hold the bar straight and pull. If instead of stalling / powering up, the kite starts to turn, then the back lines are not the same length. Well, no problem - this takes a few seconds to fix. No need to land, tie your lines to an anchor, etc.
B3DD0C58-6549-4E4F-9D07-C5DE6D890F44.jpeg
600E1AEA-E8BC-4025-853C-66ADA3020BB9.jpeg
BD3D1CE5-EF6A-409E-984D-AF15A16C0E6B.jpeg
977BF915-F1DC-4583-B832-1E6EBC87DE48.jpeg

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Yet another backline trim solution

Postby Toby » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:09 am

We did two bars with back line trims.

First was the kiteproshop.com bar with back line adjuster who had three positions.
It was worlds first spinable bar with quick release (Wichard).

And second was the X-Shooter Masterpiece bar with adjuster build into the swimmers!

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:16 pm

Cool. The nice thing about a backline trim is that you can implement the super clean BRM-style two line setup for the front lines which I think is really nice.

On this version you might be able to attach a thin elastic to the loose end and put it through the bar so that the ends stay out of the way. You might need some kind of ring to make it easy to get hold of the rope when you want to tighten it.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:24 pm

Just like the old webbing pull pull front line trimmer, I can envision a moment when you are really overpowered and the friction fit of the adjustment section continually slips to full power in moments of heavy load. Wet loaded dyneema does not grip itself well. That is why we all do Brummel locking splices with it and/or stitch the crap out of the splices.

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:37 pm

Maybe not so likely: the back lines are much less loaded than the front, and if things slip then they depower rather than power up, unlike a worn front line cleat or strap.
These users thanked the author merl for the post:
jumptheshark (Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:44 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:55 pm

Looks like a workable solution to me. It would look even neater if the ring and ball were replaced with a thimble but at the expense of the OS function. A thimble would also be less prone to tangle imho. I think I slightly prefer the prospect of this solution over the never ending loop system but not by much. Nice one 😸 br44!

alpaia
Medium Poster
Local Beach: monteynard
Favorite Beaches: kerhiilio almanarre leucate
Style: relaxed
Gear: naish kites diy boards

Postby alpaia » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:34 pm

Nice simple one, true with long depower throw you need to adjust backlines only for ergonomics not immediate safety.

I tried someting similar but it kept slipping when I was manipulating the bar (no load)

Did you make several trials to find the right dyneema weave, diameter & bury length or just the luck of the irish wiith the green color ? :D

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:03 pm

Presumably it needs some ergonomic handling at low load. If you slack the outer for adjustment I assume you may have to pull up on the outer to lock it after an adjustment. Probably ok it trimming is fairly rare as that may need both hands.

br44
Frequent Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils

Postby br44 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:01 am

I used what I had on hand - 3 mm slippery Dyneema, buried about 6 cm.

It will not slip under load, and I haven't noticed any tendency to slip when not loaded. Increase the bury length in case you encounter any slippage when packing or unpacking.

Yes, I wanted to have OS handles. If you don't need those, then a SS ring or thimble will do. Or maybe better none: Dyneema on Dyneema spliced loop would be no problem given the low forces.
These users thanked the author br44 for the post:
Herman (Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:03 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Gear Builders”