Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

DIY dropstitch Inflatable foil boards? We can do this!

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Re: DIY dropstitch Inflatable foil boards? We can do this!

Postby fluidity » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:19 am

RTL78901 wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:08 pm
Here is a video showing the effect of adding the disruptors. Does show release is cleaner and occurs at a lower speed than w/o the disruptors.
Thanks for that!
Not sure if you changed them? but the disruptors should extend flat in line with a flat on the board and the curve should be glued to the start of the curve on the board. When I looked at your board in motion it seemed like they were forward of how I fit them?
These users thanked the author fluidity for the post:
RTL78901 (Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:48 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

RTL78901
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 141
Local Beach: Atlanta
Favorite Beaches: Various spots at our local lake. OBX and Jekyll Island
Gear: F one Rocket Air, Fanatic Aero 2000 foil, Naish S26 and slingshot wings, Peak 4 5m, Pansh Genesis 3m, 6m, Flexifoil kite buggy, Peter Lynn Kite Monohull kite boat, many self made traction kites including single skin NPW's, single skin foils, close cell foil kites, and my own designs. Various windsurf sails and Exocet RF81 and ISups.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby RTL78901 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:51 pm

Thanks. I realized that a bit too late. I am planing on putting them on the right way.

RTL78901
Rare Poster
Gear: F one Rocket Air, Fanatic Aero 2000 foil, Naish S26 and slingshot wings, Peak 4 5m, Pansh Genesis 3m, 6m, Flexifoil kite buggy, Peter Lynn Kite Monohull kite boat, many self made traction kites including single skin NPW's, single skin foils, close cell foil kites, and my own designs. Various windsurf sails and Exocet RF81 and ISups.

Postby RTL78901 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:52 pm

Here is strange situation sort of on topic (I hope). My really cheap ISUP developed a leak under the center fin. This caused the fin base to bulge and eventually leak out. The really strange part is there was a bulge on top of the board. This made me think the yarn threads were broken to create the bulge on top. So I removed the old fin base and patched the hole. There was a rough spot on the base which apparently caused the leak. Having done so seems to have flattened out the bulge on top. Can't really see why the top bulge would have been fixed by removing the fin base. Anyway, now I plan to put an Air-7 fin box where the cheap base was which should impove speed and upwind. (Along with the disruptors shown). Pictures attached.

Does anyone have an idea how to attach a full windsurf sail to the top of a cheap paddle board. Supfly Mallorca has a product that looks promising, but they apparently do not ship to the US.

https://www.supfly.store/paddle_windsur ... urfer.html
Attachments
20210731_104213_resized.jpg
20210803_120803_resized.jpg

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:17 pm

RTL78901 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:52 pm

Does anyone have an idea how to attach a full windsurf sail to the top of a cheap paddle board. Supfly Mallorca has a product that looks promising, but they apparently do not ship to the US.
Duotone have this:
https://shop.duotonesports.com/en-gb/ad ... 4200--8011

As for the stick-on fin for iSUPs, JP have a spare base + 10' fin.
Attachments
IMG_20210804_141140.jpg
IMG_20210804_141140.jpg (35.45 KiB) Viewed 5247 times
IMG_20210804_141219.jpg
IMG_20210804_141219.jpg (27.55 KiB) Viewed 5247 times
These users thanked the author nixmatters for the post:
RTL78901 (Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:34 pm)

RTL78901
Rare Poster

Postby RTL78901 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:34 pm

Thanks.I'll look into the the Duotone product but I think it is for their inflatable sail. I have just been gluing the fin boxes on w/o the PVC cover that would certainly make it stronger. So far I've had no problems.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.

Postby fluidity » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:48 pm

RTL78901 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:52 pm
Here is strange situation sort of on topic (I hope). My really cheap ISUP developed a leak under the center fin. This caused the fin base to bulge and eventually leak out. The really strange part is there was a bulge on top of the board. This made me think the yarn threads were broken to create the bulge on top. So I removed the old fin base and patched the hole. There was a rough spot on the base which apparently caused the leak. Having done so seems to have flattened out the bulge on top. Can't really see why the top bulge would have been fixed by removing the fin base. Anyway, now I plan to put an Air-7 fin box where the cheap base was which should impove speed and upwind. (Along with the disruptors shown). Pictures attached.

https://www.supfly.store/paddle_windsur ... urfer.html
Is that one of the aliexpress ISUPs?
I'm wondering if the stitching got loose inside above the defect you discovered under your fin? If so, I can't quite see how you could reinstate the integrity of the dropstitch just with glue but lets hope... Some people are very anti the ISUPs but usually without trying. I built myself a fibreglass board with volume under my body weight and I'm loving it, but at moment I'm hanging on to my ISUP for a summer sale or family if they decide to try.

RTL78901
Rare Poster

Postby RTL78901 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:23 am

I like ISUP simply because they are light and portable. The board was branded funwater which is listed on Alibaba and Ebay as well as operating its own web based business in the US. Very cheap, esp. at the end of the season (249 US$). The link below is their web page. The video is a pretty comical demo of how tough their boards are. The leak in my board developed because of a small burr in the fin box which eventually tore the single layer of PVC - rather than any of the things shown in the video. Anyway, it gave me the opportunity to replace the cheap fin box with a good one.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... jFqBoi&s=p

The bulge on the bottom of the board was simply due to air being released under the finbox (which was not glued to the board) causing it to bend upward and stretching the PVC cover (which was glued to the board). Once that was fixed (by removing the fin box) it flattened out when I pumped it up. I'm now gluing the Air-7 fin box on and it is still flat. The strange part is there was also a bulge on the top side of the board under the deck pad. Perhaps it is due to broken yarns but will only show up when the board gets hot out in the sun. Or maybe it is just an air bubble between the deck pad and the PVC? Or it could be the bending of the fin box had the effect of causing a small bulge on the top. I don't know. TBH - I didn't expect to be able to fix this board, but decided to try. So far, so good.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:03 am

RTL78901 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:23 am
The strange part is there was also a bulge on the top side of the board under the deck pad. Perhaps it is due to broken yarns but will only show up when the board gets hot out in the sun. Or maybe it is just an air bubble between the deck pad and the PVC? Or it could be the bending of the fin box had the effect of causing a small bulge on the top. I don't know.
The bulge on the top was most likely due to the pressure built up at the bottom, between the dropstitch skin and the fin box, pushing the dropstitch skin.
But I still don't get how there was a leak at the bottom if there is no seam there?
These users thanked the author nixmatters for the post:
RTL78901 (Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:13 pm)

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fluidity » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:43 am

nixmatters wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:03 am
RTL78901 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:23 am
The strange part is there was also a bulge on the top side of the board under the deck pad. Perhaps it is due to broken yarns but will only show up when the board gets hot out in the sun. Or maybe it is just an air bubble between the deck pad and the PVC? Or it could be the bending of the fin box had the effect of causing a small bulge on the top. I don't know.
The bulge on the top was most likely due to the pressure built up at the bottom, between the dropstitch skin and the fin box, pushing the dropstitch skin.
But I still don't get how there was a leak at the bottom if there is no seam there?
You beat me to it about the top bulge.
My guess though on the leak is a moment's slip in concentration from the worker scuffing the under side before gluing the fin. With a power tool!
These users thanked the author fluidity for the post:
RTL78901 (Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:13 pm)

RTL78901
Rare Poster

Postby RTL78901 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:15 pm

Thanks guys. It makes perfect sense. I took the board out yesterday and it worked fine.

Return to “Gear Builders”