Favorite Beaches: valdevaqeros, tarifa
Style: wave
Gear: Bull
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: finfoil.io Designer software review

Postby mandiw » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:52 pm

hi fluidity, and all mono wing experts for wingfoiling

my friend (he is the computer/CAD wizzard) and i are about to realize your monowing from finfoil.io (https://app.finfoil.io/3D/umiluxhj).

it will be a resin infusion carbon wing, laminated over a CAD milled core out of a polyurethane (140kg/m3, 1,8 -2 MPa). my guess is to use 6 layers 195 g/m2 twill weave, with 2 carbon stringers in the center.

it will be mounted on the MOSES MT82 carbon mast.

i am not sure where to exactly position the mast on your finfoil monowing.
my board: 167 x 69 x 11,5cm, centerline mast is fixed at 24 cm from end of board, as i have only 4 inserts in my board.
my idea is to position the centerline of the mast (mast width at socket area is 14cm) 8cm from the rear end of the mono wing.

what is your/other experts' opinion?

which angle do you suggest for the wing in relationship to center line mast?

thanks for your help in advance i will keep you posted about the building process.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:58 pm

mandiw wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:52 pm
hi fluidity, and all mono wing experts for wingfoiling

my friend (he is the computer/CAD wizzard) and i are about to realize your monowing from finfoil.io (https://app.finfoil.io/3D/umiluxhj).

it will be a resin infusion carbon wing, laminated over a CAD milled core out of a polyurethane (140kg/m3, 1,8 -2 MPa). my guess is to use 6 layers 195 g/m2 twill weave, with 2 carbon stringers in the center.

it will be mounted on the MOSES MT82 carbon mast.

i am not sure where to exactly position the mast on your finfoil monowing.
my board: 167 x 69 x 11,5cm, centerline mast is fixed at 24 cm from end of board, as i have only 4 inserts in my board.
my idea is to position the centerline of the mast (mast width at socket area is 14cm) 8cm from the rear end of the mono wing.

what is your/other experts' opinion?

which angle do you suggest for the wing in relationship to center line mast?

thanks for your help in advance i will keep you posted about the building process.
Hi mandiw,
What are the weights of you and your friend? I should stress that this is a foil that suits beginners more than advanced, it is designed to be a slower foil that is easy to learn on. For a weight of 80kg this would be ideal for a learner, giving the feeling of monofoiling without being too hard core and the small wingspan gives more response.
I have been thinking about mast placement on it and I believe the *centre* of the mast should be approx 90mm forward of the rear of the wing. I allow approx 3mm around the mast socket and build it up with an extruded slim elipse having taper towards the ends of the mast attachment, one top, one bottom to give a bevel between the wing and the mast and to allow a deeper socket.

For angle between wing horizontal and mast, I would go for 90 degrees. No point putting a higher attack angle as it's only fighting the angle of the board. You can also experiment with scaling the wing in x,y and z axis. I wouldn't make it any thicker but you could widen it and reduce the chord so long as you move the mast foot proportionally closer to the back edge. All optimisations for different riding preferences!

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:01 pm

nemoz wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:49 pm
http://marc.klein.free.fr/lego/stl2dat/stl2dat.html stl to dat... never used just found the link
https://github.com/HazenBabcock/stl-to-dat
Looks promising, I'll have a try later. :thumb:

mandiw
Rare Poster
Local Beach: lago di garda
Favorite Beaches: valdevaqeros, tarifa
Style: wave
Gear: Bull
Been thanked: 0

Postby mandiw » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:40 am

thanks fluidity,
all clear now. i have 80kg and mainly use this foil on lakes with thermal winds between 11 - 15kts.
i am still learning but jibes and foot change are no problem anymore.
main task of the board- foil combination is an easy take off.

Europ2
Frequent Poster

Postby Europ2 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:12 am

mandiw wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:52 pm
It would be great if you could post picts of your steps here especially how you make you CNCed PU mold.

Return to “Gear Builders”