Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

finfoil.io monofoil test project, name: StormSweeper

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

finfoil.io monofoil test project, name: StormSweeper

Postby fluidity » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:18 pm

Using finfoil.io to create the wing:
https://app.finfoil.io/3D/ue4iaboz

Used Openscad to close the dihedral gap at the bottom of the wing by selecting a left and right portion of the wing missing the middle 4mm and then closing them together.

Selected a profile shape I created compatible with aliexpress 3-hole mast, Gong 3-hole mast and F-One mast with some room added for composite fabrics and resin.

Did some vertical and sideways scaling of the profile to create a reinforcing box to pack the composites around, positioned the modified wing, added the box and removed the mast profile.
I will probably 3D print the wing in several parts out of PLA which requires additional work to subtract bamboo skewer dowel cavities at the junctions and then to split and reassemble the parts sticking up from the zero height vertical plane.

As with most wings this is a compromise. MH23 NACA profile extends through the whole span proportional to the chord, that's why it's 50mm thick at the middle, I want it pumpable at lower frequency.
The sweep back gives good seaweed clearance(think Storms) and has an additional function of pitch-stabilising the wing. The transition from long chord to hold the mast foot and short chord further out is gradual to not loose too much lift from the centre section up in the inside corners.
Attachments
SS4.png
SS3.png
SS2.png
SS1.png
Share.PNG
Share.PNG (10.34 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
finfoil.io.3.PNG
finfoil.io.2.PNG
finfoil.io.2.PNG (20.84 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
finfoil.io.1.PNG
These users thanked the author fluidity for the post:
Europ2 (Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:04 am)
Rating: 3.03%

nemoz
Medium Poster

Re: finfoil.io monofoil test project, name: StormSweeper

Postby nemoz » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:56 am

Why such a great difference in design between the first one you design and this one?

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Re: finfoil.io monofoil test project, name: StormSweeper

Postby fluidity » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:57 am

Nemoz, I can't guarantee any of them before riding. I was a raw beginner not long ago and often I can ride a new foil and get new ideas. This one is for my rider weight but a bit faster, less responsive to roll input. My 450mm chord x 600mm chord design I am undecided about. Handles very nicely but I think I am too heavy for its lift area. I think it's sweet spot is a lighter rider with less attack angle needed. High attack angle causes high drag. That first one I posted from finfoil is better for my weight. The latest here, it is intended as a more advanced higher speed wing for my weight.
If you are after something very particular for rider weight, conditions, experience then it needs a custom design. Happy to help if I can.

Return to “Gear Builders”