Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Inflatable Foil SUP reduction-surgery.

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Inflatable Foil SUP reduction-surgery.

Postby fluidity » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:16 am

No! My F-one rocket-air 7'6 168 litre board is NOT broken!

But I can foil easily now, the large size has served it's purpose and rather than sell it and buy a smaller one, I'm considering chopping it down to around 5'6 in length by removing about 550mm from the widest point and then doing a 50mm overlap glued sleeve joint.

Can anyone see a flaw in this idea? The area I open for insertion of the overlap portion from the other end, I will have to clean the drop-stitching out of. This won't affect drop-stitch integrity because the stitching will still be present to the end of the inserted piece. Can anyone comment on ability of the 2 pieces to hold against a working pressure of 18 PSI with some fudge factor for hot day thermal expansion?

And... what glue do ISUPS get put together with?

Volume change: If I consider that with the rounding at the ends and the tapering of front and back of the board, we can consider that the effective length box version of the ISUP excluding rounding, but for same thickness, average width, would be closer to maybe... 6'8?, then if I look at volume loss as 2' / 6'8 = 2/6.666666= 0.3 (30%) 0.3* 168 litres=50.4 litres. Resulting litres: 168-50.4=117.6litres. Subtract my 105kg, another 3kg for wetsuit, 2 kg for wing, 4kg for board, 1kg for 2 x leashes and get about 3kg flotation + net flotation of hydrofoil gear under water- say 2kg? bringing it up to approx 5 litres + me displaced from the water.

My gain is a drop of maybe 1.5kg of dropstitch fabric and reduction of front swing weight, also much better close up front visibility.

Does this seem a sensible next step to those more experienced than me?
Attachments
20201031_103758.jpg

Return to “Gear Builders”