Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How can I mount a foil on an old directional board?

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How can I mount a foil on an old directional board?

Postby Herman » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:53 am

For holes through the board do not drill oversized holes. Drill correct size holes then with bent wire or cut down small Allen key or similar ream out required amount of foam. Fill with resin and ré-dril correct size holes. Don’t ream out too much foam or it will end up heavy imho. Also consider using glass balls in the resin.
Last edited by Herman on Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:29 am

I put aluminium for the plate which would make it pretty strong but sandwiching unidirectional and woven thick enough would also work for the bottom plate.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:59 am

you simply need one of these, a router, epoxy and some glass

https://shapers.com.au/foil-fin-track-insert-boxes/

MCN
Rare Poster
Gear: Best TS
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby MCN » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:57 pm

Herman wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:53 am
For holes through the board do not drill oversized holes. Drill correct size holes then with bent wire or cut down small Allen key or similar ream out required amount of foam. Fill with resin and ré-dril correct size holes. Don’t ream out too much foam or it will end up heavy imho. Also consider using glass balls in the resin.
Have done the same. Fast and cheap solution.
I also did one board with long holes (poor mans track) with a router so that you can move the position of the foil.
To much epoxi in the holes at the same time can melt the foam and laminate. do it little by little and with some cellulose filler

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

`

Postby fluidity » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:32 am

My one is actually in progress. Pretty rough except for being CNCed. 2 layers of unidirectional 600 gsm, 2 layers of biaxial 400gsm?, 2 layers of 200gsm twill glass. All vacuumed with a foil base plate with the 6mm groves to line things up, one the glass is at green stage I'll clean out the slots with a knife. and assess the rest of the surfaces. Feel like I'm overdoing it with the top plate, except in a hard hit it's the area on top that distributes the load from the weaker board.

Longwhite cloud- Both thread author and myself have the commercial foil boxes already on order. I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago.

Return to “Gear Builders”