Custom bar question

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Custom bar question

Postby foam-n-fibre » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:26 pm

I want to piece together another bar the way I like them, but I need another actual bar. I see that there are some on aliexpress. Yes, I know, don't buy chineese stuff etc, but if anyone can point me to any other basic bar that I can build onto instead then please do. If I start with a straight bar I need winders at the end which are also hard to find, not to mention the C-loop hole.

Otherwise, I have a question about a "Jeely" bar on aliexpress. I tried to past a link but it did not seem to work (easy to search on though) so here is a screen shot.

Specifically I am trying to figure out how the outer (back) leader lines attach to this bar. I see a flexible narrrowing just above the winder with a hole in it in the picture. I'm wondering if the line goes in here? Would it go through another hole to the bar also? I would hope there must be something other than flexible plastic to rely on to keep the leader attached to the bar. Does anyone recognize if this is a copy of something on the market and know how it might work?

Also has anyone tried one of these? Are they worth the trouble or likely to have the plastic parts crack an fall apart like so much other cheap knockoff stuff?

Thx,
Peter
Attachments
Jeeley bar end.jpg
Jeeley bar end.jpg (61.01 KiB) Viewed 5486 times

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Re: Custom bar question

Postby knotwindy » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:31 am

Switch used to sell just the bar C2 or 3 wit floats for about $50. Not sure if they still do?

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:50 am

I have bought one, and it has been fine (lasted a season so far). If you look around, you will find many customized versions of this bar, apparently they all are sourced from some chinese OEM.

The line opening goes straight through the integrated float to the bar end.
2.png
At the very end there is metallic T-tube to hold firmly whatever steering leader line stopper solution you come up with. (I just made humongous knot, and sealed everything with glue).

The opining at the float end connects to the main channel. You can pull the leader line through it to adjust the pigtails holding the leader line. (The lieder line adjustment section is nicely hidden inside the float).
1.png
Last edited by tegirinenashi on Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:21 am

I have 2 of them many sessions on them and they are perfect. They are generic bars many companies use them. I have been building an customizing bars for 15 years I own dozens of bars many are original brand name and many that I built these bars are fine nothing bad about them other than the size is smaller than quoted. The 55cm bar is actually 48cm between the lines.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:28 am

Anyone tried the lines from there? $60 seems too good to be true...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3274858 ... 6062%23528

Parts seem expensive though, and the complete bars are $400 reduced to $300...

t_huebs
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Transient
Gear: non-loyalist
Has thanked: 0

Postby t_huebs » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:40 am

knotwindy wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:31 am
Switch used to sell just the bar C2 or 3 wit floats for about $50. Not sure if they still do?
Yup. I built one on a switch bar and was happy.

https://switchkites.com/collections/con ... s/bar2_fll

happytrees
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 80
Gear: custom

Postby happytrees » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:00 pm

Hello :D

Was going to recommend this bar https://www.kiteattitude.fr/en/19-frees ... l-bar.html which I saw on different topic/post.
But on closer inspection :idea: I think it's the same bar(different colour/sizes)as Jeely. Same grip and finger grooves etc.
Regarding leader line connection check out how they do it https://www.kiteattitude.fr/en/14-back- ... lines.html and click on download at bottom of screen- back leader lines pdf.. It's too big to attach to post

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:37 pm

t_huebs wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:40 am
knotwindy wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:31 am
Yup. I built one on a switch bar and was happy.

https://switchkites.com/collections/con ... s/bar2_fll
If you are going to buy a Switch kite with this order, this "bar only" isn't bad but:

1. You have to put up with blue being on the wrong side, or add red to the other side and flip it

2. Grip stays on, and the bar is thin, but it's not soft (callouses)

3. Extremely heavy to the point you will need to add even more flotation if you have a heavy chicken loop

4. More expensive (almost $100 including shipping) than buying a junk used bar and salvaging the bar only off of it.

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:39 pm

I had a switch bar for a while and didn’t like it. Very heavy. A soft aluminium center wore quickly and resulted in sharp edges that then wore out center lines. It was an early one so they may have improved?

Do those Jeely bars have a stainless centers (like kiteattitude) or aluminium alloy?

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:47 pm

faklord wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:39 pm
I had a switch bar for a while and didn’t like it. Very heavy. A soft aluminium center wore quickly and resulted in sharp edges that then wore out center lines. It was an early one so they may have improved?

Do those Jeely bars have a stainless centers (like kiteattitude) or aluminium alloy?
I believe it's aluminum but it's smooth I have probably 50 sessions or more on that bar in the picture here and no wear on the center lines.
IMG_20200420_124037.jpg

Return to “Gear Builders”