Kitedicted
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Orbit 22 11/9
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: DIY long pigtail

Postby Kitedicted » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:11 am

Hello everyone,
Thanks for replies. I have some Liros D-pro 2mm dymeema so I practised making some brummel lock splices and they did support my bodyweight enough for pullups.

I have this idea because I already make my own depower rope (becaude I can't justify paying 40 euros for a piece of rope), and got the same feeling with pigtails.

Brumell lock splice seems easy enough, short end through long end > long end through short > 50-72x diameter long buried tail that is well tapered. What is a bit scary is testing it by kiting, it would be nice to find way to actually measure the strength of the splice.

Kitedicted
Frequent Poster

Postby Kitedicted » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:07 pm

Looking at the infexion site, this pigtail just looks like they folded it in half, tied a knot and some stitches to keep them close together, looks like a really nice and easy way to make a pigtail.

https://imgshare.io/image/pMBzle

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:26 pm

Kitedicted wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:07 pm
Looking at the infexion site, this pigtail just looks like they folded it in half, tied a knot and some stitches to keep them close together, looks like a really nice and easy way to make a pigtail.

https://imgshare.io/image/pMBzle
Those are indeed easy to make and to any length.

We melt the loose end after the knot to a blob to stop the knot from slipping at high loads.

Our adjustable pigtails use a bowline knot with the loose end spliced back into the line. The bowline knot is easy to get undone even after high loads so adjusting after many sessions is possible within minutes with low effort. Contrary to the Cabrinha style pigtail with a larks head behind a figure 8 knot. Good luck undoing that knot after one good session without tools.
These users thanked the author evan for the post:
Kitedicted (Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:32 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:48 pm

evan wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:26 pm
Our adjustable pigtails use a bowline knot with the loose end spliced back into the line. The bowline knot is easy to get undone even after high loads so adjusting after many sessions is possible within minutes with low effort. Contrary to the Cabrinha style pigtail with a larks head behind a figure 8 knot. Good luck undoing that knot after one good session without tools.
true, they work perfectly.
they work on all kite attachements, loop or knot.. either use the loop or the knot from the pigtail.
Very easy adjustment and easy to make yourself if you like the work.. otherwise order them at Infexion 8)

oregonkiter
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: Foil stuff

Postby oregonkiter » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:05 pm

I have made my own center depower line for my four SS Compstick Guardians with 1/8 in Spectra and a locking Brumell on each end. I bury a very long tail such that the 1/8th is effectively buried over the entire length of the depower rope making the diameter roughly 1/4". I have added 7" to the stock length of throw. At the kite, I attach the front lines on the closest knot to the kite, and the steering lines to the farthest knot away from the kite. I have done 4 bars this way all of which I keep connected to my kites. Works great on UFO's anyway. I had planned on adding a few inches to the rear line pigtails on the kite but didn't need to.

Kitedicted
Frequent Poster

Postby Kitedicted » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:40 pm

Thanks for the tips, I've ordered some 3mm dyneema and will make the long pigtails for my rear lines using the fold and knot method. The rear attachments on m kites are loop so it will be perfect.

I was wondering, how are loop-loop pigtails made so short? My slingsoit pigtails are 9 cm long and appear to be 3 mm thick, since there is a double brummel the bury must be very, very short??

Kitedicted
Frequent Poster

Postby Kitedicted » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:19 pm

Return to “Gear Builders”